• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stomper

Frank Row (1)
Sydney8–19°C

NEWS
SPORT
ENTERTAINMENT
BUSINESS
LIFESTYLE
VIDEO

search

Bledisloe II Preview
Rugby
Lindfield Rugby Club fearful punishment meted out for allegedly paying player will cause club to die

DEAN RITCHIE, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

LINDFIELD rugby union fear their famous 100-year-old club will die if NSW Suburban Rugby Union impose “catastrophic” sanctions for illegally paying a player.

The Daily Telegraph revealed earlier this month that Lindfield – founded in 1919 – had been kicked out of the Kentwell Cup first division competition for breaching the game’s amateur status after allegedly paying a player $600 over three weeks. Lindfield lodged an appeal on Thursday night during a hearing with the NSWSRU board at Moore Park.

The NSWSRU integrity committee expelled the club from all five grades this season, banned the paid player – former West Harbour forward Tala Moli – for five years, deregistered the club’s recruitment manager, Pat Lang, for life, banned first grade coach Adam Coughlan for five years, told the club each grade would start next season on minus 10 competition points and placed Lindfield on a $10,000 bond for the next five years.

Nearly every club in suburban rugby union believe the punishment is ridiculously excessive. Respected litigation lawyer Daniel McGirr, acting for Lindfield, fronted the appeal’s hearing claiming the club could fold if the heavy-handed sanctions were upheld.

Tala Moli, the player who Lindfield allegedly paid.
McGirr argued Lang paid Moli without knowledge of the club’s board. He claimed the club’s directors were totally unaware of the minimal payment. Lang is a club volunteer who works as a real estate agent.

“If the sanctions currently handed down are maintained, Lindfield rugby union club will be ruined,” McGirr told The Saturday Telegraph. “The club will probably fold. That’s the thinking at the moment. Plus the club just doesn’t have the $10,000.

“It could be catastrophic for the club, which is nearly 100 years old. It would be a tragedy. We have already had players say if we start on minus 10 points next year they will be going to other clubs. And that would be a large exodus of players.

“The club vehemently denies making any payments to any player. The only issue left for the NSWSRU board to determine is whether the club was aware of the payments, made the payments or authorised such payments. There is simply no evidence of payments having been made by the club.”

One rival first division club committee member contacted The Saturday Telegraph to say: “It’s just subbies trying to flex muscle they don’t have. They should be more worried about all the clubs that are dropping out of their competitions than a $600 payment. Subbies may not be around in 20 years. The board is just on a power surge. They are lightweights trying to act like heavyweights. It’s sad and pathetic.”

McGirr won’t rule out taking the matter to NSW’s Supreme Court. The NSWSRU board is currently considering Lindfield’s appeal.

“We are confident that in the NSWSRU board’s judicial capacity justice will be done and that proper legal processes will be followed in making a determination,” he said.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Possibly a little bit of theatre here. Subbies knows that Lindfield is one of the strongest districts in Sydney and will survive - majority of players are local boys - just look at reaction on their facebook. Seems like justice being meted out to a club that can handle it.

I find it hard to believe that no official was surprised when this player - who has a well documented history - mysteriously appeared - also I can't see his name on team sheets (happy to be corrected - haven't looked at all of them).

PS I am bemused that $10k is apparently the difference between life and death. Anyway rant over - very sad about whole affair.

On a lighter note, I nominate the volunteer for a Darwin award - not because he put his own life at risk but rather our club's. Whatever happened to boot money dumbo? Anyway, all clubs are now on notice regarding "irregularities in their enrollment process".

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Did they have open selection? They got every team into the finals so probably had a fair bit of wiggle room there.

The whole thing is pathetic.

Having four teams in the Finals gave Waverley a lot more flexibility if they so chose, but I've never heard a club targeting a 2nd Grade when they would of had a genuine shot at 1st grade.

And even if it didn't then they are still bound by the rules and have to determine the elegibility of each player and as long as they are eligible it's allowed.

If Forest are saying they weren't eligible then they should appeal. If not shut up.

Perhaps though the only reason Forest are complaining because it is something they would do? (Maybe they did too, except they stacked their side before the finals and they still couldn't win Maybe being close to BOBs is rubbing off on them.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Missed a big congrats to all grand final winners from the div 1 comp (so pretty much Colleagues and thats it ;)). Nonetheless, great day of Rugby and what I thought was a good turnout.

Kentwell was a see-saw affair to the final whistle and ended up making a few of the Colleagues lower grade players eat their words after their sledging of the Mosman bench all afternoon!!!

Season 16 over and onto 17. Hope to see player numbers at the minimum remain the same as this year or improve. For the love of subbies!

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
PS I am bemused that $10k is apparently the difference between life and death. Anyway rant over - very sad about whole affair.

You must not be overly aware of Subbies administration. When sometimes up to 25% of players don't pay full subs, or in some cases any, and fewer contribute to the ongoing costs such as physio, strapping, wet weather venue hire, affiliation fees etc. you would be surprised how much damage $10K can do to a club. It's very hard to enforce the "no pay no play" policy when forfeits mean more money off you and fronting the judiciary for repeated offences.

Also consider, with the damage done by this affair, kids leaving school have the options of Gordon, St Ives, Brothers, BOBs, Chatswood, Knox Old Boys and Roseville all within a couple of postcodes. At least those clubs don't have fines hanging over them with Subbies breathing down their neck.

I personally think Lindfield will survive and the drop in divisions will certainly help. But every time they have a good round or they stuff up the team sheet like everybody does, they will have accusations levelled against them. It doesn't make turning up each Saturday that much fun.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd suggest a $10k bond would destroy many a club. The general rule of thumb in subbies lower Div is to try and finish the year with minimum $10k in the bank. This is getting harder with Bill Knobhead Pulver charging an ARU levy on clubs so he can give it to NRC clubs. Strangling grassroots financially sadly is a reflection on the dire state of rugby across the board.

Cranky Penguin

Stan Wickham (3)
Amazes me how Scott Sarson (good for him) can be nominated or voted as a contender to the Barraclough medal after missing more than half the season through injury then played 2nd grade on his return. Interesting to note, how the same voters not nominate/choose a player from the minor premiers and Barraclough Champions Hunters Hill who lost just one close game all season, ponder that one!

The Barraclough medal is based on refs points. Hunters must have had their points spread evenly throughout the team. Probably a good sign from a team perspective. I am surprised though that the 7 or 9 didn't get enough points to make the final four in saying that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd man in

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Barraclough medal is based on refs points. Hunters must have had their points spread evenly throughout the team. Probably a good sign from a team perspective. I am surprised though that the 7 or 9 didn't get enough points to make the final four in saying that.

The hills nomination is terrible...

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Lindfield decision out
https://www.facebook.com/Lindfield.Rugby.Club/posts/10155175512328942:0
Major points:
1. Div 2 next year with no point deductions.
2. Can not return to Kentwell before 2019.
3. $10K bond for five years stands (apparently this could mean the end of the club in some people's minds).
4. Player sponsor's ban reduced to 15 years from life. :cool:

So in essence, other than the monetary pain, there is no real future damage for Lindfield. They were most likely headed to div 2 next year anyway.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Could be interesting. If they can maintain colts, 2s an 3s form they will probably win Div 2 until 2019. Forcing second place to ascend. Talk about putting little fish in a big pond.

The bond is going to hurt. Given the culprit has confessed to his sins, I'm not sure why he got a discount on his sentence.

I guess it IS better to ask for forgiveness than seek permission

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's fucking bullshit - forcing them to stay in a dominant position is punishment? Put them down for a year, let them make their own fortune, and reduce the bond to $5K and the points deductions to 5 per grade.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
That's fucking bullshit - forcing them to stay in a dominant position is punishment? Put them down for a year, let them make their own fortune, and reduce the bond to $5K and the points deductions to 5 per grade.

I agree, the decision not to allow them to be promoted has consequences if you aren't going to dock them points for next season. So they come down and win 3 comps and how does that make subbies look?

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
So they come down and win 3 comps and how does that make subbies look?

Ummm...pretty stupid. The irony is I think Lindfield had come to terms with much of the punishment, it was the bond that was the problem.

So Subbies pretty much let them off the hook for most things from which they can more than easily rebuild, and possibly dominate. Talk about snatching a defeat from the jaws of victory Subbies.

I hope the ARU pays attention and gets Lindfield's interim board to help out at the next pay TV negotiation.:p

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Always in the pipeline. However sunbird will still run the fourth grade comp if enough of the clubs are willing

Status
Not open for further replies.