• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah "meant to be". I don't have the stats or data to confirm this, but my opinion is that they seemed to go to the exact opposite of what people often bitch about in Subbies (i.e. ref wanted to be the star, overbearing), and instead they seemed to let repeated obvious infringements go unpunished.

In the second grade grand final there was quite a bit of off-the-ball stuff going on between the Waverley and Forest forwards. On more that occasion the ref seemed to see it, actually lifted his arm, but then put it back down, didn't blow the whistle, and play continued.

Also the aforementioned yellow card in 1s. Clearly should have been red.

Our fullback tried to run it out of our in goal and with smacked with a massive swinging arm(which fractured his jaw, we didn't know it at the time) and was told by the ref, 'this isn't rugby league, don't drop and throw your arms to the side when you get hit'.

Edit - NOT NECESSARY

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I know I've carrying the can as far div 6 chat has gone all year. But in case anyone cares, we were dominating, winning the physical battles, dominating the scrum(as we have all year) were up 26-3 and switched off.

They can put the points and we thought we'd done enough and din't fight hard enough for it.

A few of their players even said afterwards that they didn't feel like celebrating, they felt like we'd dished out the pain on them.

Cranky Penguin

Stan Wickham (3)
Another big day out at TG Millner for the Div 2 GFs.

4th grade- Really defensive game, both teams testing each other out without many inroads able to be made. One lapse from waverley and hills score, waverley managed to get a penalty but hills defence was outstanding, particularly in 2nd half. Controversial moment at the end, where after full time siren waverley on attack passed the ball into the ref, and the game was finished on this note, much to the anger of waverley. Unfortunate, but not deliberate, not much the ref could do.

3s- Waverley got the ascendancy early and never really took the foot off the throat, hills tried their best but just wasnt their day, had the opportunities, but just couldnt capitalize. Congrats to waverley on an undefeated season, they were very strong across the park.

Colts- cracker of a game here. Hills started really well getting to 14-0 before newport responded with a try. Pretty even half for the most part, but a few breakout tries pushed hills out to 28-7, before hills kicked it out near their end, thinking it was halftime. It wasnt, and from the lineout newport were able to spread the ball and get over in the corner, making it 28-12 at half time. 2nd hald was all newport, getting it to 28-22 before hills resp9nded again, making it 31-22. Newport took control again from here, taking the lead with less than 10 to go 34-31. Hills tried their best but were well off their game by this stage, did manage to get on opportunity with a break down the left side, then swing it right, only for their winger to lose it over the line, could have argued there were a few penalty offences by newport in that phase, but missed. A few minutes of outstanding defence from newport and hills couldnt break through and that was it. Great comeback by newport, sad outcome for hills who had been the best team all year.

2s- probably the worst game of the day, never really got to any heights, seemed that forest might have played their GF last week. Waverley werent able to put them away though, making it a tense struggle for the most part. 9/10 appeared off their game for forest, making it difficult for them to build their attack. To their credit they kept trying and got on the board at the end. Waverley best served by their forward pack.

1s- left at half time in this one, but looked a really even game. Mountains were pressing early, but only got a penalty, hunters able to get down there and get a converted try. Few yellow cards in there making it quite an open attacking game. Bit of controversy where hunters hill prop came over the top in a tackle with a swinging arm to jaw of mountains 8. The yellow left them down to 13 men for a period but i was amazed it was only that, as it was a deliberate attempt to hurt a player after the tackle had been affected, should have been red in my opinion and may have changed the end outcome, as hunters were on roller skates without him. BM took advantage, and managed to get to 18-7 at halftime.
Can someone enlighten on what happened in the 2nd half???

Great recap of the day!!!

In the first grade fixture, I think you are correct in saying the prop was lucky not to get a red. Very late and there was intent. You swing a closed fist into someone's face that is in a stationary position. That can't be called an accident. Pretty clear view of this one. He went on to score a crucial try and did play a big part in their attack for the rest of the game.

Hunters came out in the second half with higher tempo game and everything seemed to stick.

The line-outs costs Mountains badly. The starting hooker went off early and the reserve hooker was said to be concussed but stayed on. Don't know how? That would explain why they didn't win any of their own line outs during the second stanza. That field position gave Hunters plenty of opportunity in the attacking zone and they capitalised.

Good game to watch. Both teams threw the ball around well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lindfield are appealing tonight? Obviously can't get it all thrown out but at least the bond payment might be a start

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Today's Manly Daily has an article that suggests Waverley played multiple 1st graders in its 2nd grade GF win over Forest on Saturday. Sour grapes or fact?

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Today's Manly Daily has an article that suggests Waverley played multiple 1st graders in its 2nd grade GF win over Forest on Saturday. Sour grapes or fact?
They accused hills of the same thing the week before in 2s (even though they smashed us!), and in 4s the week before that. Par for the course with these guys now...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)

I don't know if they were 1st grade, but on the day their #12 and #24 (second row) seemed to be their best players, and weren't in the major semi.

No teamsheets online so it's hard to compare.

Cranky Penguin

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't know if they were 1st grade, but on the day their #12 and #24 (second row) seemed to be their best players, and weren't in the major semi.

No teamsheets online so it's hard to compare.

The 13 for Waverley in seconds was Scott Sarson who is nominated for the Barraclough Medal this year. Very good footballer Don't think he played many first grade games in the back half of the year though in firsts.

Their 12 was a standout in that game. He broke the line numerous times. Very strong. He took off his long compression pants at halftime. That is illegal still in Subbies rugby isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flashman

Frank Row (1)
The number 24 in the GF for Waverley did play in the Major Semi, Tony Oreglia.

Scott Sarson missed 8 rounds through injury, and when he came back from injury towards the end of the year he played second grade. He also played in the major semi.

The number 12 hardly played all year, and he was actually in 3rd grade mostly when he did play. He didn't play at all in first grade this year. He checked his compression pants with the match officials and was told they were fine to wear. Forest made an issue of it during the first half, and Tim Richards got him to take them off.

I'm afraid it is sour grapes from Forest and I think it reflects poorly on them that something like that would be published.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)

Scott Sarson missed 8 rounds through injury, and when he came back from injury towards the end of the year he played second grade. He also played in the major semi.

The number 12 hardly played all year, and he was actually in 3rd grade mostly when he did play. He didn't play at all in first grade this year. He checked his compression pants with the match officials and was told they were fine to wear. Forest made an issue of it during the first half, and Tim Richards got him to take them off.

I'm afraid it is sour grapes from Forest and I think it reflects poorly on them that something like that would be published.
In that case yes it does look like sour grapes.

Big 8

Bob McCowan (2)

Amazes me how Scott Sarson (good for him) can be nominated or voted as a contender to the Barraclough medal after missing more than half the season through injury then played 2nd grade on his return. Interesting to note, how the same voters not nominate/choose a player from the minor premiers and Barraclough Champions Hunters Hill who lost just one close game all season, ponder that one!

adamj

Frank Row (1)
Amazes me how Scott Sarson (good for him) can be nominated or voted as a contender to the Barraclough medal after missing more than half the season through injury then played 2nd grade on his return. Interesting to note, how the same voters not nominate/choose a player from the minor premiers and Barraclough Champions Hunters Hill who lost just one close game all season, ponder that one!

It goes on the Medal points awarded by the Ref at the end of each 1st Grade game. So Maybe HH had a larger spread of players receiving points?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
12 of the 15 who started the major semi for Waverley started the GF, so I'm not sure why Forest have claimed multiple first graders were playing.

Did they have open selection? They got every team into the finals so probably had a fair bit of wiggle room there.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Re Lindfield

Press Release | 26th August 2016
Players, Supporters, Sponsors, and Members of the Lindfield Rugby Community,
Last night our appeal was heard before the Board of the NSW Suburban Rugby Union. While their decision was reserved on the night, we are confident the Board now has sufficient information to reach a fair outcome for our Club and the broader suburban rugby community.
An update will be distributed as soon it becomes available.
Yours in rugby,
Tristan Warner
Appeals Sub Committee Chairman
Former President (2007-2009)

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
It goes on the Medal points awarded by the Ref at the end of each 1st Grade game. So Maybe HH had a larger spread of players receiving points?

I remember a year in the Shute Shield were Hamish Angus won the Best & Fairest when Warringah were in the bottom 4 - was because he consistently polled points where the stronger teams had different players polling points.

Shows in a few divisions this year.

Stomper

Frank Row (1)
Re Lindfield

Press Release | 26th August 2016
Players, Supporters, Sponsors, and Members of the Lindfield Rugby Community,
Last night our appeal was heard before the Board of the NSW Suburban Rugby Union. While their decision was reserved on the night, we are confident the Board now has sufficient information to reach a fair outcome for our Club and the broader suburban rugby community.
An update will be distributed as soon it becomes available.
Yours in rugby,
Tristan Warner
Appeals Sub Committee Chairman
Former President (2007-2009)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/788da1954514082a811ee7b99c0aa871

Status
Not open for further replies.