• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Just heard the news about Linfield. I used to play against them in Kentwell and Burke cup many moons ago.

Always thought there was something not above board up there;)

You really are old. They last won the Burke in 1976 and have never won a Kentwell.

Lindfield deserve to be sanctioned and I'm glad they have.

Every Club has it's malcontents and people who cross the line, just ask Rouse Hill. Don't try to tar an entire Club based the stupidity of a tiny few. Rouse Hill deserve the support of the rugby community, so why doesn't Lindfield?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
For a $600 player payment, it seems harsh. However I have nothing against:

1) Club being booted for the season
2) Individuals copping 5 year suspensions

I think the ongoing sanctions for the club - including the $10K bond for 5 years - is a bit of a kick in the guts though.

Its all well and good for Subbies to "send a message" but how many clubs get done for not filling in their team sheets by Tuesday after the game? That's a $100 fine straight up, and further sanctions for repeat offences above 2.

Briars haven't filled in either 2s or 3s for a SEMIFINAL where one grades is still in the hunt! Neither have Canterbury 3rd Grade.

Have Subbies collected that money?

ANSI

Frank Row (1)
I'd say the penalties applied might be related to the lengths gone to by the club and/or individuals involved to cover it up. If they'd just put their hands up as soon as they'd been found out, I doubt the penalties would have been so harsh

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I'd say the penalties applied might be related to the lengths gone to by the club and/or individuals involved to cover it up. If they'd just put their hands up as soon as they'd been found out, I doubt the penalties would have been so harsh

Do you know something more than the rest of us. Looking at the Lindfield President's statement on Facebook they didn't know and have taken a fair amount of responsibility for it.

Not a very good cover-up if there are records and a Shute Shield player turning up in the middle of a season. Particularly for a Club that can barely win a first grade match.

Like Pfitzy said, punish the individuals involved and yes, even punish the Club for the offending season. But very few Subbies Club committees remain the same year in year out so punishing them for 5 years seems a little excessive.

But I would still like to see your evidence of a cover-up, as badly executed as it was.

ANSI

Frank Row (1)
Not saying it's necessarily the only thing, but why is the player not on any team sheets for Lindfield, despite the games he was alleged to play???

Even the most brief google search would tell you this bloke only plays for coin, obviously subbies found out he was playing another way...

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Not saying it's necessarily the only thing, but why is the player not on any team sheets for Lindfield, despite the games he was alleged to play???

Fair call regarding the team sheets. But probably a pretty heavy penalty given the poor team sheet administration across Subbies.

As I said, punishment was required. But to punish someone who is currently in year 9 (joining the club after finishing school) for something that happened 5 years ago (the threat of $10K fine) caused by people you don't know, without the club's endorsement, does nothing for the participation of community level rugby.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fourth Div results today:

3rd Grade - Irish def Canterbury
2nd Grade - Irish def Briars
1st Grade - Blacktown def Harlequins

All three Grand Finals will be Blacktown v Sydney Irish at Wills Ground next week

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Division 1 Finals for Next Week
Kentwell Cup:
Colleagues vs Balmain (Winner to play Mosman in GF)

PREDICTION: Colleagues
Burke Cup:
Mosman vs Petersham (Winner to play Colleagues in GF)

PREDICTION: Mosman
Barbour Cup (Colts):
Drummoyne vs Petersham (Winner to play Knox in GF)

PREDICTION: Drummoyne
Whiddon Cup:
Colleagues vs Petersham (Winner to play Mosman in GF)

Judd Cup:
St Patricks vs Knox (Winner to play Colleagues in GF)

PREDICTION: St Patricks

Division 2 Grand Finals
Barraclough Cup: Hunters Hill vs Blue Mountains

PREDICTION: Hunters Hill
Stockdale Cup: Waverley vs Forest

PREDICTION: Forest
Robertson Cup (Colts): Hills vs Newport

PREDICTION: Hills
Blunt Cup: Waverley vs Hills

PREDICTION: Waverley
Richardson Cup: Waverley vs Hills

Division 3 Grand Finals
Clark Cup: Hawkesbury Ag College vs Brothers

PREDICTION: Hawkesbury Ag College
Farrant Cup: Beecroft vs Hawkesbury Ag College

Campbell Cup: Oatley vs Beecroft
PREDICTION: Oatley
Nicholson Cup: Beecroft vs Hawkesbury Ag

Division 4 Grand Finals
McLean Cup: Sydney Irish vs Blacktown

PREDICTION: Blacktown
Grose Cup: Blacktown vs Sydney Irish

Campbell Cup: Blacktown vs Sydney Irish

PREDICTION:Blacktown

Division 6 Grand Finals
Meldrum Cup: Menai vs Engadine

PREDICTION: Menai

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4 Grand Finals
McLean Cup: Sydney Irish vs Blacktown [/FONT][/COLOR]

I'll go Irish in McLean Cup. They'll be putting all their eggs into that basket.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

I'll go Irish in McLean Cup. They'll be putting all their eggs into that basket.
Yeah mate. Knowing some of the boys at Blacktown, I just can't see them being knocked over again. Their coach would have been all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANSI

Frank Row (1)
Kentwell Cup:
Burke Cup:
Barbour Cup (Colts):
Whiddon Cup:
Judd Cup:

Division 2 Grand Finals

Division 3 Grand Finals

Division 4 Grand Finals

Division 6 Grand Finals

Agree with most of those tips mate. Was a big day out at TG Millner, mix of games, a draw, a few nailbiters and a blowout.

I think most of Div 2 breathed a sigh of relief when UNSW got stopped from winning another lower grade premiership via a late season stack.

Big days for Hills & Waverley next weekend with 3 teams each in, good to see 2 of the less established clubs at those levels being so successful, even if some of the more established ones don't like it.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree with most of those tips mate. Was a big day out at TG Millner, mix of games, a draw, a few nailbiters and a blowout.
It was a great day and that blowout (Forest vs Hills in Stockdale) was the match of the day. I was convinced Hills were going to win after beating Forest 26-0 only a few weeks ago, but Forest 2nd grade played a power game that completely shut Hills down. In the first half in particular I'm not sure they would have been matched by many 1st grade teams.

Next week vs Waverley is going to be a great contest, as they are deserved minor premiers and strong across the whole squad. It will be interesting to see if any 1st grade players show up next week now that they're out of contention.

Prediction: Forest.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Kentwell Cup:
Burke Cup:
Barbour Cup (Colts):
Whiddon Cup:
Judd Cup:

Division 2 Grand Finals

Division 3 Grand Finals

Division 4 Grand Finals

Division 6 Grand Finals

I'm going to go with Beecroft taking the honours in the Farrant Cup. Have been the form team all year. I'm surprised Brothers edged Beecroft in 1st Grade on Saturday. Can they string three quality performances together and challenge HAC?

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
I spoke to players and officials on Saturday and the common theme is what about the other 4 or 5 clubs that people suspect to be paying players in Div 1 & 2. Lindfield is just the tip of the iceberg but others are to smart to get caught.

HeavyD,

I am interested to know who are these other 4/5 Clubs that are paying players in Div 1 & 2.

Aside from clubs pointing the finger with very little evidence what else is there that these 'players & officials' provided that would shed light?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Most people would've missed it, but the 2nd field hosted a bit of a thriller.

We were down 20 nil after 15 minutes.

Got a try just before half time, to bring it back to 20-7.

2nd half starts and we go bang bang with 2 tries to hit the lead.

We put 2 more on and appeared to be cruising to victory at 33-20.

They scored with about 10 to and the goalkicker(who is brilliant, banged 3 over from the sideline) bangs it over from the sideline,

He misses that and they're 8 behind, and probably no shot at victory.

They get a penalty way down in our territory, and then they were about to kick it out, and I think the ref told them it'd be game over if they did, they tapped it and went, offloading at will, I was sure we were gone by this stage, knowing full well their kicker was going to put it over from wherever they scored.

One of them got tackled about 25 out from home and our loosie got on the ball and got the penalty for us, game over.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

I think most of Div 2 breathed a sigh of relief when UNSW got stopped from winning another lower grade premiership via a late season stack.

Big days for Hills & Waverley next weekend with 3 teams each in, good to see 2 of the less established clubs at those levels being so successful, even if some of the more established ones don't like it.

Agreed in relation to your comment around UNSW. Well done Waverley and Hills for overcoming the 'Stack'

ANSI

Frank Row (1)
It was a great day and that blowout (Forest vs Hills in Stockdale) was the match of the day. I was convinced Hills were going to win after beating Forest 26-0 only a few weeks ago, but Forest 2nd grade played a power game that completely shut Hills down. In the first half in particular I'm not sure they would have been matched by many 1st grade teams.

Next week vs Waverley is going to be a great contest, as they are deserved minor premiers and strong across the whole squad. It will be interesting to see if any 1st grade players show up next week now that they're out of contention.

Prediction: Forest.

Yeah your right about that, Hills just never really got going in the game, Forest came out hard. Looked like the Hills no.10 copped a knock early that kind of messed up their ability to counter what Forest were doing. Will be an interesting grand final next week, winner will be whoever's game plan shines through: If it's an open game I think Waverley can get the job done, but if it becomes a grind like the major semi was I think Forest will get home.

1s will be very interesting. Looked like the Mountains no.15 did a hurt his hammy at the end of the first half. If he's there it will be a very close one, but without him I'd say very hard to go past Hunters Hill.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
1s will be very interesting. Looked like the Mountains no.15 did a hurt his hammy at the end of the first half. If he's there it will be a very close one, but without him I'd say very hard to go past Hunters Hill.

Also looked like their hooker (the guy with the awesome hair) got hurt in a late tackle. Maybe not serious as he kept playing for a while, but pretty sure he didn't finish the game. He's one of their main ball carriers.

Cranky Penguin

Stan Wickham (3)
Really looking forward to the 2nd division Grand Final this weekend. Can Hunters Hill beat Blue Mountains for a fourth time this year or will the underdogs come through and ambush them.

It's always interesting wondering if the week off at this time of year is a hindrance or a benefit. It's probably nice to come in fresh but sometimes that can affect the momentum. In saying that it sounds like Blueys have been beaten up a little by a physical Waverley team.

Hunters coach and former West Harbour coach Rayne Simpson has a reputation as being an outstanding coach and I am sure he will not leave any stones unturned. He and his crew were even seen videoing the Blue Mountains Vs Waverley game last weekend. Let's see what game plan they come up with.

Also welcome back to the fold Seagull Butler. Incumbent captain from Hunters Hill and fellow forum member. There was rumours he was out for the year but he was seen on the team sheet in the last game. Just in time for the big dance.

For the neutral fans. Keep an eye on the number 9 for Hunters Hill and the number 15 for Blue Mountains. Both made the Subbies rep team and both will have a big influence on who wins this game. Great attacking weapons.

Good luck both teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.