• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would be taking the 222.5+
Suspect a couple of 3 figure scorelines as the BOBS loyal diehards run out of puff after their 2nd back to back game.

So forfeitng 4ths for the 4th time means BOBS join Newport in withdrawing from that competition.

130-0 in Barraclough is not a good result for anyone. It actually suggests serious injury is probale in mixed battles like this. I feel for those BOBs players who showed up for that mauling.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm thinking more at scrum time.
They've been doing uncontested scrums a lot this year.

Edit: no idea if they did yesterday but it wouldn't surprise me, and might not be a bad idea for safety of their players when coming up against Waverley's former international prop.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If he is a former international, then he should understand the value of restraint once the scrum is won. No point hurting a bloke to make a point, and the ref should pull it up quickly if it's apparent Player Safety is at risk.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
If he is a former international, then he should understand the value of restraint once the scrum is won. No point hurting a bloke to make a point, and the ref should pull it up quickly if it's apparent Player Safety is at risk.

Player in question if former Welsh prop Ben Evans. Also set piece coach at Parramatta Two Blues if I'm not wrong. But in reference to your statement Barker were pushed off the ball early but then won majority of the ball after about 20 minutes into the first half, maybe a bit of mercy from the Waverley players?

Was down at Waverley Oval yesterday and it was a touch day of Rugby to watch. While BOBS 4th grade forfeited during the week their 3rd grade also pulled out late.

Their colts side had 5 players at the ground 15 minutes prior to the game but they eventually found 15 players. Many of these boys I noticed ended up playing long games in 2s and then even 1s against very strong Waverley sides.

However kudos to those blokes who are still turning up to play and as a supporter I thank them for that. Hopefully they can rebuild a little bit next year in division 3 or 4.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It will be interesting to see how Subbies play it.

As Beecroft discovered - getting demoted more than 1 Division can sometimes be a rallying cry, and they lost (from memory) 4 games all season, playing a Halligans game every week bar 1.

Coming down one Division might not help. Coming down 2 might make them strong.

I'll tell you what though: if Blacktown don't go back up to Div 3, it'll be a bit of a travesty. Only team to have lost a game is Thirds - 1 draw (only game they failed to get a BP) and 2 losses to Canterbury, with 1 loss to Irish.

We've given them a bit of a run in each game we played them except the last Third Grade fixture, but they had the depth and composure to recover.

It seems Redfield Old Boys are also on the decline?

???

Not sure how being in finals contention in 3 of 4 Grades counts as "decline" - maybe only because the competition is stiffer this year so they're not just running around all comers.

So Third Div: Hunters Hill, Forest, Hills, Blue Mtns, UNSW, Newport, Blacktown, BOBs.

Fourth Div: Irish, Canterbury, SydQuins, Rouse Hill, Briars, Mac Uni (maybe), Kings OB.

Not sure what happens to Mac Uni if they can't hold onto 3 grades. Really need 5th Division back to help clubs bridge the gap to 4th Division. I know a few Meldrum Cup teams are fielding Halligan sides so maybe they can get that going, and get the competition back to some kind of stability.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
So Pfitzy your not running a Div 2?

Better drop Hunters Hill, UNSW, Hills, Blue Mountains who are all traveling well with Strong Numbers in Div 2 and put them down to Div 3??

From what I hear you boys at Rouse Hill will struggle to be let back into Div 4 after the incident the other week

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Been staying at Newport this weekend, and wandered down to Porter to watch them play Blue Mountains.

The game was willing and played in good spirit, with Mountains taking the points pulling away late in the second half.

The supporter numbers for Newport always amaze me. Hundreds of locals there, kids, mums, dads, mates, ex-players, the works. It's bloody great to see! One of the great Subbies clubs, and I hope their on-field decline is temporary.

I know plenty of clubs that would kill for that atmosphere and support on a home Saturday.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Well you have taken 7 out of the Current 8 and put them in "Third Div" refer to
Your other post so obviously you are getting rid of Div 2

Unless your swapping the Div 2 and Div 3 comps over and seeing how they go... If you actually understood the fact that you've taken the Div 2 comp out and even put any teams from The current Div 3 makes no sense to your logic

Apart from the word on the street, do you really thinking Subbies are going to let this go lightly? A mass brawl that makes papers and the discpilinary record the club has in the past and this year 2-3 times there have been 4 yellow cards in 2s and 1s... Look what happened with Merrylands Poor Discpline record told to sit out for a season

Not good for the club for any current or future sponsors of the club is allowed to continue in upcoming years

3rd man in

Frank Nicholson (4)

Unless your swapping the Div 2 and Div 3 comps over and seeing how they go. If you actually understood the fact that you've taken the Div 2 comp out and even put any teams from The current Div 3 makes no sense to your logic

Apart from the word on the street, do you really thinking Subbies are going to let this go lightly? A mass brawl that makes papers and the discpilinary record the club has in the past and this year 2-3 times there have been 4 yellow cards in 2s and 1s. Look what happened with Merrylands Poor Discpline record told to sit out for a season

Not good for the club for any current or future sponsors of the club is allowed to continue in upcoming years
Is rouse hill really the same level as merrylands?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Yep just realised that - my bad.

Apart from the word on the street, do you really thinking Subbies are going to let this go lightly? A mass brawl that makes papers and the

Do I sound like a fucking idiot?

Of course Subbies aren't taking it lightly. We don't expect them to.

We're not either, and have been fully cooperative with everything in our power for the hearing. Members of our club have been given life bans, or sacked. So they're not Members any more I guess, except for the purposes of the hearing.

We're due back in there Wednesday night, and the club is effectively stood down at this point, because cited parties didn't front. Short of physically dragging the responsible parties before the Judiciary - which by the way is completely fucking illegal on our part - we are burning resources just trying to keep our club alive.

I was standing right there when it went down. Despite not seeing many of the incidents cited due to trying to stop players running in, I have the details of what I saw burned into my memory.

I've also seen the refs report, and it DOESN'T say that the vast majority of Rouse Hill players didn't throw a single punch.

It DOESN'T talk about the guys I saw stand over a Blacktown player, prone on the deck, guarding him against further harm.

It DOESN'T say how many undertook significant physical risk - and a few blows themselves - to try and break up the bullshit that was going on around them.

It DOESN'T say how Blacktown players came up to the ref and basically blamed his handling of the game for the brawl, for which they should have been cited immediately.

I, and several members of the club committee, have spent a fair few waking hours this last week just trying to help right the ship, and I'm just the fucking Second Grade coach. So you'll excuse me if I take umbrage with the shittiness of your bullshit superior tone.

What I'm most pissed off at:

1) I don't have a resolution that I can pass onto my players.

2) That people without a single slice of the facts are gossiping like old women.

All because of a handful of fucking arseholes who didn't respect either club on the day, or the supporters and fans.

discpilinary record the club has in the past and this year 2-3 times there have been 4 yellow cards in 2s and 1s.

Here, try some facts:

THREE years since the previous red card

ONE game with 4 yellow cards for First Grade this year - same ref as gave THREE yellow cards BOTH Blacktown AND Rouse Hill last weekend (edit: I explained this previously - before this ref, First Grade had 7 YC for the season).

ONE game with 4 yellow cards for Second Grade - and guess what? After that week I talked to my guys and we only got 1 yellow card against Blacktown on the weekend. It was for a guy retaliating to a knee to the head (which escaped sanction) by pushing the perpetrator and then throwing the ball at him.

So, next time you're sitting around with your knitting needles talking to the other old women in the circle, maybe throw a few of THOSE factoids in there and let everyone know that we're pretty fucking concerned for our future, and would appreciate their help by discussing something else until Subbies have actually arrived at a decision.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Ok - change of Topic for Pfitzy (I feel for you mate)

UNSW - kudos to them as they ran their Indigenous weekend on Saturday and had a brilliant jersey plus Gary Ella was down nat the ground to do the Welcome to Country.

Their first grade went up 3 tries to nil against us, but some strong running saw us manage to fight back and take a close win.

Second Div Finals:
1st Grade - Finals Set: Hunters v Mountains and Waverley v Forest
2nd Grade: Waverley has 1st tied down, Hills and Forest are both in the running to take 2nd Spot and Hunters will make up the 4.
3rd Grade: Waverley, Hills and Hunters are top 3. Blue Mountains, UNSW and Forest all have a chance at 4th and with UNSW playing Forest, Blue Mountains need a strong performance at home against Waverley - TIP UNSW to take 4th.
4th Grade: Top 4 set: Waverley followed by UNSW/Forest/Hills - with this weekends results to set the order.
Colts - Finals Set: Hills v Newport, Waverley v UNSW

Waverley gets all 5 teams in finals,
Hills in 4 (every grade but 1sts),
Forest in 3 (1sts, 2nds, 4ths), maybe 4,
Hunters in 3 (1sts, 2nds, 3rds)
UNSW in 2 (4ths, Colts) maybe 3
Blue Mountains in 1 (1st Grade) maybe 2
Newport in 1 (Colts)

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
UNSW will get in 3s as they are the masters of the late season stack.

History says clubs with 4 or 5 teams in semi's generally don't always go on to win unless they have massive, massive depth.

My tips for Premierships a week out are
1st Grade- Blue Mountains
2nd Grade - Hills
Colts - Hills (but Newport could surprise)
3rd Grade - UNSW
4th Grade - Waverley

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
UNSW will get in 3s as they are the masters of the late season stack.

Isn't that a requirement of every Subbies club? :) Pretty sure its in most club constitutions ;)

For us, Thirds is still largely the participation grade because Halligan games have been hard for us to line up.

We pretty much decided to NOT do it this year because last year, on the days where we had Halligan - even when it started right before our Thirds - we'd have a heap of dropouts and all our Grades would suffer.

And we have a lot of blue collar blokes who are working sites on Saturdays and can't even leave until midday.

stampy

Frank Row (1)
Been staying at Newport this weekend, and wandered down to Porter to watch them play Blue Mountains.

The game was willing and played in good spirit, with Mountains taking the points pulling away late in the second half.

The supporter numbers for Newport always amaze me. Hundreds of locals there, kids, mums, dads, mates, ex-players, the works. It's bloody great to see! One of the great Subbies clubs, and I hope their on-field decline is temporary.

I know plenty of clubs that would kill for that atmosphere and support on a home Saturday.

mate if I'd have known I'd have sought you out!
did you stick around for the Newport Nasties v KWP over 35's main-event after 1st grade? I trotted out

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
No I didn't, sadly! Walked back up the hill with the old man just after full time, but heard the crowd a bit later and wondered what was going on.

How'd you play? Imagine a few sore bodies (and heads) the next day!

Status
Not open for further replies.