• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Then start to invest in it and cough up the cash. There are a lot of ex Shute shield supporters (and current) in high places that can get the game running again.

Ahhhh, and there it all falls apart. Very few have the money to invest and why would they anyway.

Not that I have any cash, but why on earth would I invest big dollars (because that's what we're really talking about) in a club and competition that is required to support 2-3 grades and a couple of Colts sides with players who will never be anything more than good park footy players.

The NRL and AFL are not supporting 4th graders in the Premiership competitions. These competitions thrive because they understand that to develop elite talent, it needs to be separated from the weekend warriors

Shute Shield definitely has the tribalism, but nearly every potential fan/supporter is playing school/club rugby at the same time. So nobody can turn up. And you can't move the competition around when you're organising between 5 and 8 teams for each club.

Tradition is a wonderful thing and should never be dismissed out-of-hand. But when it's strangling the game and potential development and expansion, something's got to give.

P.S.You are right about a salary cap, although it is inconsistent with your previous arguments that the Clubs that aren't rich enough should just get stuffed. Subbies has a salary cap. It's $0. Just like your suggestion, it keeps the playing field level.

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
thats if teams like Epping can address their race issues of course

Please explain?

If you go to their games they are whiter than the Gilmore Girls!

No tongans or anything throughout the squad and the Epping region is 95% japanese and they have appear to have done nothing to promote the game to this market.

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
If
Ahhhh, and there it all falls apart. Very few have the money to invest and why would they anyway.

Not that I have any cash, but why on earth would I invest big dollars (because that's what we're really talking about) in a club and competition that is required to support 2-3 grades and a couple of Colts sides with players who will never be anything more than good park footy players.

The NRL and AFL are not supporting 4th graders in the Premiership competitions. These competitions thrive because they understand that to develop elite talent, it needs to be separated from the weekend warriors

Shute Shield definitely has the tribalism, but nearly every potential fan/supporter is playing school/club rugby at the same time. So nobody can turn up. And you can't move the competition around when you're organising between 5 and 8 teams for each club.

Tradition is a wonderful thing and should never be dismissed out-of-hand. But when it's strangling the game and potential development and expansion, something's got to give.

P.S.You are right about a salary cap, although it is inconsistent with your previous arguments that the Clubs that aren't rich enough should just get stuffed. Subbies has a salary cap. It's $0. Just like your suggestion, it keeps the playing field level.

if the teams cant support colts ans 4th ghrade teams then why dont we streamline it to just 1st grade, reserve grade and under 20s.

the rest of the rubbish can just filter down to the subbies, everyone wins.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
If you go to their games they are whiter than the Gilmore Girls!

No tongans or anything throughout the squad and the Epping region is 95% japanese and they have appear to have done nothing to promote the game to this market.

No tongans but the area is Japanese? Where's the consistency of your point? Why pick on Epping Rex?

Lets remove Penrith and replace them with Balmain. Yay fucking brilliant idea you muppet, lets just give up entirely on Western Sydney (cause demographically Parra is actually now Central Sydney, while Balmain is now in the east) and replace them with a club that's coming dead last in the First Div Club Champ's.

Lets bring in Tuggeranong for a Canberra/Snowy flavour - where did you learn your geography mate? Snowy's start in Cooma and Jindabyne/Thredbos another hour past that you Forsyth.

In a middle division half the top teams are paid in the form of fuzzy white powder. Are you their supplier mate? Cause if so you should realise that a good dealer never gets hooked on his own shit.

Now that you've caught a couple of fish, can you just piss off and leave the stupidity to Kiko?

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
if the teams cant support colts ans 4th ghrade teams then why dont we streamline it to just 1st grade, reserve grade and under 20s.

the rest of the rubbish can just filter down to the subbies, everyone wins.

Correct

It's incredible how quickly one can come to that solution. Sadly most SS clubs feel they couldn't support the senior grades without a number of lower grades.....despite the NRL, AFL, NBL, Super Netball, A-League and pretty much every other premier sporting competition around the world plodding along nicely without a 3rd grade.

Anyway, I've had this conversation ad nauseam on the Shute Shield thread so it's best to leave it there. Until Shute Shield join the 21st century, or are dragged kicking and screaming by a Frank Lowy type intervention, the rest of Sydney Rugby will just have to muddle along waiting for the premier competition to start acting like one.

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
im not picking on Epping, they are one of the better teams. I only mention it because i live in Drummoyne and its close by.

Dont get me started on filth clubs like Hunters Hill, Lindfield, Oatley and Merrylands.

Balmain isnt east its west, inner west, but still west.

I am 100% for western sydney expansion and have been consistent in this.

i feel (and stated) that parramatta needs to be looked after, as with eastwood and west harbour, id also like to see games from either side brought to ANZ to try to capitalise on the homebush/wentworth point/concord west/auburn market.

Id like to see teams like Dundas Valley expand to capitalise on neglexted western sydney areas like carlingford, oatlands and Northmead.

If you want to start a petition to get western teams around Ryde, Ermington, Rhodes, wentworthville then I will sign it!

Tuggeranong is broad and i want to capture Goulburn to Jindabyne, the Jindy pigs (are thats their name?) looked strong and promising. Maybe wecan take games to Albury?

i dont know, but one thing i do know is i have VISION! And i seem to be one of only a few.

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
Correct

It's incredible how quickly one can come to that solution. Sadly most SS clubs feel they couldn't support the senior grades without a number of lower grades...despite the NRL, AFL, NBL, Super Netball, A-League and pretty much every other premier sporting competition around the world plodding along nicely without a 3rd grade.

Anyway, I've had this conversation ad nauseam on the Shute Shield thread so it's best to leave it there. Until Shute Shield join the 21st century, or are dragged kicking and screaming by a Frank Lowy type intervention, the rest of Sydney Rugby will just have to muddle along waiting for the premier competition to start acting like one.

if our vision came into effect, it would only strengthen the subbies teams.

The parra leftovers could be used to revitalise the Dundas Valley or Merrylands clubs for instance.

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
What About The Ideas Of Making An Old Boys Rugby Club In Shute Shield And OLD IGGIES/KOBS/BARKER Could Be Their Feeder.

I Dont Think Promotion/Relegation Works As Many Who Play Subbies Rugby Do So For The Casualness Of It. I Could Be Wrong.

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
im not picking on Epping, they are one of the better teams. I only mention it because i live in Drummoyne and its close by.

Dont get me started on filth clubs like Hunters Hill, Lindfield, Oatley and Merrylands.

I am 100% for western sydney expansion and have been consistent in this.

i feel (and stated) that parramatta needs to be looked after, as with eastwood and west harbour, id also like to see games from either side brought to ANZ to try to capitalise on the homebush/wentworth point/concord west/auburn market.

Id like to see teams like Dundas Valley expand to capitalise on neglexted western sydney areas like carlingford, oatlands and Northmead.

If you want to start a petition to get western teams around Ryde, Ermington, Rhodes, wentworthville then I will sign it!

Tuggeranong is broad and i want to capture Goulburn to Jindabyne, the Jindy pigs (are thats their name?) looked strong and promising. Maybe wecan take games to Albury?

i dont know, but one thing i do know is i have VISION! And i seem to be one of only a few.

How Can Balmain Play Shute Shield From Division 2? Hahahahahahahahaha

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)

Pulver is that you????

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk[/quote]

Ill give you a geography lesson.

City=measuring point.
East of this is the east, Glebe, Rose bay, Cogeee, Bondi, all east. its why the roosters are called Easts in league.

North is north of the parra river. Chatswood, manly, St ives, Gordon, even berowra.

South= South of the city starting at Surry hills.
West is west of the city. Balmain, gladesville, wentworth point, parramatta, newintgton, Denistone and all the relatively low profile areas around penrith, Blacktown is the only one i can think of on the top of my head but what i can tellyou is the border stops at the blue mountains which isnt sydney anumore

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Pulver is that you????

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Ill give you a geography lesson.

City=measuring point.
East of this is the east, Glebe, Rose bay, Cogeee, Bondi, all east. its why the roosters are called Easts in league.

North is north of the parra river. Chatswood, manly, St ives, Gordon, even berowra.

South= South of the city starting at Surry hills.
West is west of the city. Balmain, gladesville, wentworth point, parramatta, newintgton, Denistone and all the relatively low profile areas around penrith, Blacktown is the only one i can think of on the top of my head but what i can tellyou is the border stops at the blue mountains which isnt sydney anumore[/quote]
Obviously havent crossed to the western side of Gladesville bridge in a while mate.

Take your head out of the sand for a minute and look at population distribution...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
i do my retail shopping at Top Ryde or macquarie and my grocery shopping at carlingford court, and a few weeks ago i went to parramatta.
so there goes your 'doesnt go west of gladesville' notion.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

BB....maybe you should dial back on the invective. I appreciate no club is perfect but calling clubs "filth" so quickly after inferring another club is racist, you're pushing the envelope.

• Taking out the most recent case, Hunters Hill hasn't spent any more (and probably less) time in front of the judiciary than most Clubs. I don't believe they've ever been busted down a division for bad behaviour.
  • Lindfield paid a heavy price (some say disproportionate) for the stupidity of one person over a $600 payment - to a 2nd grader. They've never been below Subbies Div 2 so can't be that filthy. Just up the road Knox Old Boys got busted from Div 1 to Div 4 a few years ago, not sure if that was due to "filthy" behaviour.
  • Oatley have had their troubles but I'm not aware of anything to suggest they are any more or less "filthy" than the rest of Subbies
  • Merrylands is the only club on that list that I'm aware of (and I don't know enough details to make a blanket call) that could possibly qualify as "filthy"
You are obviously passionate about club rugby. That is a great thing. But that doesn't make you right, or better in anyway to anybody else on this forum or out there in Clubland.
By the way:
and a few weeks ago i went to Parramatta.
You are aware at how that sounds?

God

Frank Row (1)
Interesting that this amateurism debate has sprung up again. The debate to reinstate promotion and relegation between SS and subbies could be viable but really the only club who I think could do it would be Drummoyne, so long as they can recruit an additional 60 high class colts in one offseason. The argument that subbies should be used as a pathway for development is nonsense. I recall someone on one of these threads saying that subbies should be used as a pathway to super rugby! Im sorry but if you're playing 1st grade subbies in the hope of picking up a super rugby contract you're delusional, go play SS and be a dominant SS player for a few years then maybe you'll get a gig. Subbies rugby is where rugby dreams go to die, I know mine has.

Birchgrove Bes, your enthusiasm is contagious but very poorly guided. A personal highlight of mine is your suggestion for Eastwood to play out of ANZ stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.