• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Valley v Old Iggies - Iggies Going From Strength To Strength. Iggies By 40+
Newport v Epping - Newport By 2 Tries. Tough Trip For Any Side And Epping Struggle To Travel.
Brothers - Brothers By 21. Its A New Brothers Team And St Ives Are Overated.
BOBS v Redfield - Redfield by 3. Close Game. Neither Team Can Defend But Both Can Score Points. Redfield 33-30.

Hurlo,

Very impressed by Iggies turn around this year, i thought it was going to be a tough year for you guys after the round one loss to HV but you guys have been very impressive since then.

Any particular reason for the turn around this year? More numbers? Improved spirit in the club? New committee? Just interested as I believe you guys should be a powerhouse being associated with such a strong rugby school.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tips from the guru.

DIV 1
DRUM vs Petersham - MOTR - Dirty Reds to strong at home in what promises to be an epic subbies rugby encounter.
Colleagues vs MOSMAN - The Whales will be a little to strong against a so far disapointting Colleagues outfit.
Knox vs BALMAIN - Upset of the round with the mussled wolves set to unleash a surprise away victory.
ST PATS vs Waverley - ST PATs in a close one in the battle of the cellar dwellers.

DIV 2
Beecroft vs LINDFIELD - I'm going for an away win for the Old Soldiers who have been competitve but unlucky in round 1.
Hac vs FOREST - If Hurlo's mail is right and Forest have picked up some additional talent I'll go with the boys in Green. FOREST can expect a torrid welcome after the yobbo crowd behaviour that HAC copped at Melwood.
HUNTERS vs Unsw - UNSW will be happy to walk away from this game without to many injuries. HH will be too big too strong.

DIV 3
BROTHERS vs Saints - Brothers to win as the club throws everything at their 1st grade to avoid relegation.
Newport vs EPPING - MOTR - Based on the speculation around punch ups, dummy spits and player or coach departures this result could go either way. Breakers will front up but think EPPING might be too big in the forwards. I'll go with EPPING...just.
Hawk Valley vs IGGIES - Assuming Iggies travel they will be a class above and should win this easily.
Barker vs REDFIELD - This will be a great game and expect REDFIELD to win in a tight but high scoring affair.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Tips from the guru.

DIV 1
DRUM vs Petersham - MOTR - Dirty Reds to strong at home in what promises to be an epic subbies rugby encounter.
Colleagues vs MOSMAN - The Whales will be a little to strong against a so far disapointting Colleagues outfit.
Knox vs BALMAIN - Upset of the round with the mussled wolves set to unleash a surprise away victory.
ST PATS vs Waverley - ST PATs in a close one in the battle of the cellar dwellers.

DIV 2
Beecroft vs LINDFIELD - I'm going for an away win for the Old Soldiers who have been competitve but unlucky in round 1.
Hac vs FOREST - If Hurlo's mail is right and Forest have picked up some additional talent I'll go with the boys in Green. FOREST can expect a torrid welcome after the yobbo crowd behaviour that HAC copped at Melwood.
HUNTERS vs Unsw - UNSW will be happy to walk away from this game without to many injuries. HH will be too big too strong.

DIV 3
BROTHERS vs Saints - Brothers to win as the club throws everything at their 1st grade to avoid relegation.
Newport vs EPPING - MOTR - Based on the speculation around punch ups, dummy spits and player or coach departures this result could go either way. Breakers will front up but think EPPING might be too big in the forwards. I'll go with EPPING.just.
Hawk Valley vs IGGIES - Assuming Iggies travel they will be a class above and should win this easily.
Barker vs REDFIELD - This will be a great game and expect REDFIELD to win in a tight but high scoring affair.
Mountains vs hills in div 2?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
"GURU"

air-quotes.gif

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Ok, this is next level trolling and I don't know who should be more upset - Epping or the local group Bes is trying to get involved. Especially considering Epping's three biggest immigrant groups are from China, South Korea and Hong Kong (from here)

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Its like if the all blacks and wallabies both wore black and white. Ridiculous.

Like the Wallabies and Springboks wearing green and gold. Ludicrous.

St Ives, Brothers and Waverley should also change their colours to suit a club that plays what division again?

Lets also throw away those pesky netballers who make up the Epping club because that's an inconvenience. All to chase after a demographic that currently shows little interest in playing rugby.

No, much better to insinuate a club is racist and work towards it's own demise as you have a vision of what should be?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I've been to Japan playing rugby a couple of times.

To suggest that there is this massive untapped player/supporter base in Sydney is ridiculous.

Yes they have a team in super rugby, but size of the fan base as opposed to the entire country's population in miniscule.

Soccer and baseball rule over there, (along some obscure wooden stick based martial arts) and of course sumo.

The guys who do like rugby, absolutely love it, I know some guys who fly out here to watch test matches.

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
The guys who do like rugby, absolutely love it, I know some guys who fly out here to watch test matches.

Correct!
And those guys have MONEY and are willing to invest in their teams.
When they finally/hopefully allow payments in subbies, we will be able to buy wallabies players who are on the back end of their career or a Paul Gallen etc.

At the least they will be able to retain their hooker who appears as good as gone.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Correct!
And those guys have MONEY and are willing to invest in their teams.
When they finally/hopefully allow payments in subbies, we will be able to buy wallabies players who are on the back end of their career or a Paul Gallen etc.

At the least they will be able to retain their hooker who appears as good as gone.

What do you mean the guys who have money?

Are you suggesting big japanese business moguls are going to start taking financial interest in subbies rugby teams?

I was trying to make the point that, if there's a japanese community here in sydney, the number of rugby fans you could count on one hand.

bundaddy

Peter Burge (5)
Tips from the guru.

DIV 1

DIV 2

DIV 3
Newport vs EPPING - MOTR - Based on the speculation around punch ups, dummy spits and player or coach departures this result could go either way. Breakers will front up but think EPPING might be too big in the forwards. I'll go with EPPING.just.

why did you not do tips for div 4 or 5 its a big discriminatory to just do the divisions you care about. lower division teams would suprise you and beat many higher division teams from div 3 and 2

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
BB

By saying a Club has "racial issues", you are absolutely insinuating racism. Otherwise you could have easily have said, There's an untapped market...." You didn't

Bringing the "white powder" reference without a shred of confirming evidence you are simply trying to defame a Club....yes, that is the right word. If you know of criminal wrongdoing then put up or shut up.

By assuming that a demographic group in Suburban Sydney shares the identical traits of the ancestral country begs the question, why doesn't the US dominate the Rugby world cup....oh that's right, different countries do different things.

Try to not live in your insular little bubble please.
  • You wrong about linking suburban ethnic groups to sporting passions exhibited in ancestral countries (because I'm guessing that several would be Australian by birth and citizenship)
  • "dragons, luck, philosophy" - sound more like the racially stereotyping traits of the Chinese, not Japanese
  • in what world did Japan "steamroll" South Africa. The score was 34-32 and please name the other Tier 1 rugby nations they "steamrolled like South Africa"
Maybe my bubble is insular, but nowhere near as broad as the desert of ignorance in which you reside.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
why did you not do tips for div 4 or 5 its a big discriminatory to just do the divisions you care about. lower division teams would suprise you and beat many higher division teams from div 3 and 2

Nobody is stopping you from doing it. Here, let me show you:

DIV 4
Blacktown v SYDNEY IRISH - despite being at Grantham, I'd expect a very well drilled Irish side to give Blacktown a working over.

OATLEY v Sydney Harlequins - competition leaders versus potential finalists, I think the jesters will find this a bridge too far, particularly with a depleted roster.

CANTERBURY v Macquarie Uni - will probably be a thrashing. Uni have some class but the Berries have gone up a gear this season.

Rouse Hill v BRIARS - visitors win on forfeit.

(Note: Crying "discrimination" about something like this is, quite frankly, the act of a sook)

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

No offence intended. I just have had no historical visibility of the clubs or competition so I leave it to others in this site to provide more meaningful commentary and predictions. No doubting its a good standard but think it would be a harmful step up for them to be classed as Kentwell or Barraclough Cup team quality. I'm thinking 2nd or 3rd grade level in Div 2 or 3? As I said I don't really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.