• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
In a middle division half the top teams are paid in the form of fuzzy white powder. Sometimes at half time!
It's not monetary but I question the long term health of the players doing this on a whim.

Which club? Pretty out there accusations. You, my friend, are full of shit. Put up or shut up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bundaddy

Peter Burge (5)
Some people need to grow the **** up. The Lane Cove bashing over the last week is out of line and just smells of jealousy from clubs who have not had a successful plan for the future and believe that the best way to make themselves feel better is to bag out other clubs.

bundaddy

Peter Burge (5)
In answering questions raised in this thread.

i - Tantallon is the best ground in suburban rugby union. For those who are complaining about the surface, you have obviously not been their since the millions spent on it over the last few years. Not to mention our grandstand, canteen, dressing rooms, new fence. To suggest it is anywhere near the worst ground in subbies rugby is so ridiculous that I am almost 100% you are joking. It is a treasure to play on the ground.

ii - The Epping #9 has not come across to Lane Cove, although with the weekend off I may have missed some developments. I have not had anyone contact me regarding him playing for us though.

bundaddy

Peter Burge (5)
Something I need to get off my chest.

It is a tragedy in the highest degree that clubs can no longer reward their players financially to play the game they love in our competition.

We all know it happens still. I have seen players this year get 200 dollars to play a game, 400 to another and the other a Jet Ski + insurance. However it penalises the clubs who abide by the law.

Why should a team like Balmain who are run well get robbed of the chance to bring in players like Giteau or Sam Cordingley or past examples like Ryan Cross because other clubs are ran by losers and cant turn a profit to save their life? Or are so tightass they cant open the wallet to attract the best talent to their clubs?

Surely we want the best available players playing subbies, regardless of who they play for?

Fans would be more inclined to watch more than than just the ones their team are playing in, because the standard would be better and product more attractive.
This would attract more fans, interests, sponsors and tv ratings. Whereas right now teams like Balmain are being dragged downd and pandering to the bottom of the barrel loser teams that cant fork out 10k or so for a gun hooker.

Change is needed.

You don't need money to build a strong and successful club. Look at Blue Mountains, Lane Cove and Mosman. All have toiled honestly with strong junior programs that have lead pathways to senior rugby. The clubs who take the easy option always go well for a period of time, but don't have the structure for long term sustainability. Examples of these include Brothers, Kings Old Boys, St George Rugby.

Skinny Minny

Chris McKivat (8)

i - Tantallon is the best ground in suburban rugby union. For those who are complaining about the surface, you have obviously not been their since the millions spent on it over the last few years. Not to mention our grandstand, canteen, dressing rooms, new fence. To suggest it is anywhere near the worst ground in subbies rugby is so ridiculous that I am almost 100% you are joking. It is a treasure to play on the ground.

ii - The Epping #9 has not come across to Lane Cove, although with the weekend off I may have missed some developments. I have not had anyone contact me regarding him playing for us though.
Dearest Bundaddy,

When you jump on your high horse and try to "shame" all the other clubs who aren't as "successful" as you are, you leave yourself open to ridicule.

Not all clubs are in the fortunate position of being located on the wealthy north shore and do not have councils who are willing to spend huge amounts of money on facilities. IF, and it's a big IF, Lane Cove were responsible for sourcing all the finances to pay for those facilities, my hat goes off to you. I guess that's the joy of living in a wealthy area with access to wealthy benefactors. Spare a thought for the rest of us who don't have access to those resources. And before you tell us to work harder on sponsorship etc, remember that there aren't a whole heap of wealthy bogans out there who are willing to dump cash into suburban rugby. Just ask Pfitzy

I think you need to have a laugh at the banter and recognise that there may be a little jealousy mixed in there. It's called the tall poppy syndrome, (though in this case perhaps I'll just call it the poppy syndrome) and it's an Australian past time. It's also great fun.

Love from,

All clubs not residing on the North Shore.

P.S. congrats on the fence.... be sure to add it to your 2018 recruitment material.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
You don't need money to build a strong and successful club. Look at Blue Mountains, Lane Cove and Mosman. All have toiled honestly with strong junior programs that have lead pathways to senior rugby. The clubs who take the easy option always go well for a period of time, but don't have the structure for long term sustainability. Examples of these include Brothers, Kings Old Boys, St George Rugby.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Kings. They spent a season in first division (2011 from memory) and won the 2nd Division first grade title in 2010. They are kind of stuck in a funny position. Obviously they are an old boys club from the school and play their games out of the school grounds. However they train in the inner city, and their after match pub is in the city. Its a funny situation as are they trying to recruit old boys from a very successful rugby school or are they trying to recruit inner city locals and compete with Petersham, Dukes, Balmain, Harelquins, Colleagues, Drummoyne etc for players?

I think they need to focus on one or the other.

Clubs go through cycles. As i said Kings has recent history in 1st division and are now in 6th division. Dundas Valley won the Kentwell in the early 2000's, now they are trying to rebuild in Halligans. Hornsby used to play in the top comp now play in the Central Coast competition.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Geez, and to think we all laughed, just drove past Tantallon, it's looking good.

anz-stadium.jpg

bundaddy

Peter Burge (5)
There is more to success than a wealthy local government. It takes a strategic plan, a strong junior base, putting in place procedures to keep that program sustainable.

Every area has advantages. We are not blessed to have a strong islander or maori or backpacker contingent just turn up and win games for us. We succeed in other ways.

bundaddy

Peter Burge (5)
I think you are being a bit harsh on Kings. They spent a season in first division (2011 from memory) and won the 2nd Division first grade title in 2010. They are kind of stuck in a funny position. Obviously they are an old boys club from the school and play their games out of the school grounds. However they train in the inner city, and their after match pub is in the city. Its a funny situation as are they trying to recruit old boys from a very successful rugby school or are they trying to recruit inner city locals and compete with Petersham, Dukes, Balmain, Harelquins, Colleagues, Drummoyne etc for players?

I think they need to focus on one or the other.

Clubs go through cycles. As i said Kings has recent history in 1st division and are now in 6th division. Dundas Valley won the Kentwell in the early 2000's, now they are trying to rebuild in Halligans. Hornsby used to play in the top comp now play in the Central Coast competition.

I retract. I am not sure why I placed Kings in that group.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)

If Tantallon is the best, where do you rank Drummoyne Oval, Rawson Park and Waverley Oval?
I think you'll find they also have nice fences.

Status
Not open for further replies.