• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy- I would personally like to thank you on two fronts.
1. Your post, publically mentioning the work that Bruce, Rob (and i'll include Geoff) and many others have done over the past few years to take Lane Cove Rugby from a club that was struggling from year to year to maintain one team to a club that now has a brighter future, is greatly appreciated.

Good people doing hard work deserve praise.

I'm in a fucking dark place right now, but I'm always given hope by these kinds of examples, and I'm always prepared to ask questions about what clubs do to turn things around.

Even if I can't apply it in my situation, it puts some powder in the magazine for another day.

As for whether the nuff-nuffs at HQ read it . . . Well, experience has shown me that certain sections of the rugby community don't look outward very often. Its endemic of a code that is struggling.

OJLovedNicole

Stan Wickham (3)
my tips

relegate
div 1 - balmain
div 2 - hawkesbury
div 3 - brothers
div 4 - mac uni
div 5 - wakehurst

promoted
div 2 - hunters hill
div 3 - epping
div 4 - sydney irish
div 5 - convicts (based on numbers)

3rd man in

Frank Nicholson (4)
I Wonder If Hills Stacked It.
Looked through the team sheets. Doesn't appear to be any stacking going on out there, and also need to consider lindfield had 1st grade play hunters at the same time across town, so they were spread. Looks like hills did it with 2 yellows as well.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Good people doing hard work deserve praise.

I'm in a fucking dark place right now, but I'm always given hope by these kinds of examples, and I'm always prepared to ask questions about what clubs do to turn things around.

Even if I can't apply it in my situation, it puts some powder in the magazine for another day.

As for whether the nuff-nuffs at HQ read it . . . Well, experience has shown me that certain sections of the rugby community don't look outward very often. Its endemic of a code that is struggling.

All our hearts go out to you mate. A legend of a bloke giving your all.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Hey gents, I'm doing a rum night on the wet weather week (22nd july) if you're into nice spirits, get in touch with me.

Be great to meet some other club guys and have a drink.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looked through the team sheets. Doesn't appear to be any stacking going on out there, and also need to consider lindfield had 1st grade play hunters at the same time across town, so they were spread. Looks like hills did it with 2 yellows as well.

A 17-7 result doesn't indicate stacking. Bounce of the ball. Hills have been a little off the pace, judging by the standings in Stockdale, but you throw in what was a bye weekend (where guys have made other plans) and it gets a little ropey in 2s.

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
My vision is for Subbies division one to be equal to the Shute Shield and for the Shute Shield to be equal to the NRL (maybe minus Penrith).
For this to happen, we are going to need cash.
We are also going to have to address the racial issues in the suburban game.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
My vision is for Subbies division one to be equal to the Shute Shield and for the Shute Shield to be equal to the NRL (maybe minus Penrith).
For this to happen, we are going to need cash.
We are also going to have to address the racial issues in the suburban game.

There's is no way that is ever going to happen....

How do you expect Shute shield to be able to throw around big dollars like the NRL when Super Rugby and International Rugby in Australia is struggling to do this

On the note of making Shute Shield and Subbies Promotion and relegation there's only one way to make this able to work and that is if Shute Shield made it 4 Grades and 1 Colts team ( that in turn would then be able to hopefully push younger colts players to play for Subbies Clubs (Long Shot I know)

Allowing player payments is not the answer I can only see that dropping to colts sides is the only reasonable way to be able to get promotion and relegation but in the same token who is to say the subbies sides would be able to compete. maybe if they have a gun 1s side but then lower grades would likely get destroyed each week thus in turn asking to turn up each week when they are getting smashed ( same if they need to turn up against cashed up super teams in subbies.)

Long and short Promotion and relegation I cant see will ever happen again and player payments should be kept away with those thinking they are good enough to be paid being told to toddle off to Shute Shield clubs and try and earn it

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
There's is no way that is ever going to happen..

How do you expect Shute shield to be able to throw around big dollars like the NRL when Super Rugby and International Rugby in Australia is struggling to do this

On the note of making Shute Shield and Subbies Promotion and relegation there's only one way to make this able to work and that is if Shute Shield made it 4 Grades and 1 Colts team ( that in turn would then be able to hopefully push younger colts players to play for Subbies Clubs (Long Shot I know)

Allowing player payments is not the answer I can only see that dropping to colts sides is the only reasonable way to be able to get promotion and relegation but in the same token who is to say the subbies sides would be able to compete. maybe if they have a gun 1s side but then lower grades would likely get destroyed each week thus in turn asking to turn up each week when they are getting smashed ( same if they need to turn up against cashed up super teams in subbies.)

Long and short Promotion and relegation I cant see will ever happen again and player payments should be kept away with those thinking they are good enough to be paid being told to toddle off to Shute Shield clubs and try and earn it

im not advocating promotion and relegation, but what Shute does have alongside the NRL and even AFL is the tribalism of the neighbourhood.

What i would like to see is the removal of penrith and replace them with a team like Balmain. Id also suggest bringing in Tuggeranong for an ACT/snowy presence and likewise something for the hunter or central coast region.

Then start to invest in it and cough up the cash. There are alot of ex shute shield supporters (and current) in high places that can get the game runnng again.

We need a salary cap though because NSW will just keep dumping their players into sydney uni at the expense of grassroots suburbs like the Two Blues otherwise, which by the way, has been the single handed most moronic unaddressed issue I have ever seen in Australian Rugby in the years ive followed the game.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
How many Subbies clubs would genuinely want to work towards promotion to Shute Shield if there was a viable pathway? I really see a big difference in the types of players that joins these clubs and the type of rugby experience the clubs are trying to offer. IMO, Shute Shield clubs are there for players who have "expectations." Subbies Clubs exist for "participation."

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
im not advocating promotion and relegation, but what Shute does have alongside the NRL and even AFL is the tribalism of the neighbourhood.

What i would like to see is the removal of penrith and replace them with a team like Balmain. Id also suggest bringing in Tuggeranong for an ACT/snowy presence and likewise something for the hunter or central coast region.

Then start to invest in it and cough up the cash. There are alot of ex shute shield supporters (and current) in high places that can get the game runnng again.

We need a salary cap though because NSW will just keep dumping their players into sydney uni at the expense of grassroots suburbs like the Two Blues otherwise, which by the way, has been the single handed most moronic unaddressed issue I have ever seen in Australian Rugby in the years ive followed the game.
What a shock that Balmain is the team you think should replace Penrith...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow you go away for a weekend and come back to some dribble going on on this site.

I cannot wait for this weekend where we get the opportunity to again watch some decent running rugby after two weeks of professional garbage. Subbies may well be at the bottom of the rugby food chain and looked on with contempt by the Shute Shield and NSWRU but it represents everything that's good about the game. I'm over box kicks and charge downs, just give me guys without attitude having a go with their mates and that'll do me fine.

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
This should be the Shute Shield.

1 manly
2 warringah
3 eastwood
4 norths
5 easts
6 gordon
7 randwick
8 souths
9 parra
10 balmain
11 west harbour
12 uni
13 tuggeranong
14 lake macquarie

they can align theyselves with div 1 clubs as feeders to the main arena.

Alternatively, we could pool the talent a bit and have a reduced competition in numbers, some areas are overstacked with talent.

A more streamlined comp can look like this.

1. manly/warringah hybrid
2. norths/gordon hybrid
3 eastwood
4 balmain
5 souths
6 parra/west harbour hybrid
7 tuggeranong
8 lake macquarie
9 randwick/easts hybrid

and drop uni completely.
i dont see the point in having a team based inside a university? at least add hem to the easts merger.

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
although id be ok with west harbour and parra not merging as they are obvious expansion areas due to the amount of Tongans that reside here.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
This should be the Shute Shield.

1 manly
2 warringah
3 eastwood
4 norths
5 easts
6 gordon
7 randwick
8 souths
9 parra
10 balmain
11 west harbour
12 uni
13 tuggeranong
14 lake macquarie

they can align theyselves with div 1 clubs as feeders to the main arena.

Alternatively, we could pool the talent a bit and have a reduced competition in numbers, some areas are overstacked with talent.

A more streamlined comp can look like this.

1. manly/warringah hybrid
2. norths/gordon hybrid
3 eastwood
4 balmain
5 souths
6 parra/west harbour hybrid
7 tuggeranong
8 lake macquarie
9 randwick/easts hybrid

and drop uni completely.
i dont see the point in having a team based inside a university? at least add hem to the easts merger.
Amazing, balmain still survived the cull...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Birchgrove Bes

Frank Nicholson (4)
The club rugby thread is one above. This is a Subbies discussion page.

i know player. However this conversation took a natural progression and ties in with subbies as the plan is for div 1 to be feeders to the big time.

thats if teams like Epping can address their race issues of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.