• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2020

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
I'd say it's almost certain there will be some impact. It's only a matter of time before there is a confirmed case with one of the clubs.

Has there been a cancelled season since WW2?

Wouldn't have thought so.. Whilst I don't agree with it, I reckon this season will get canned.

Karl_H

Stan Wickham (3)
I'd say it's almost certain there will be some impact. It's only a matter of time before there is a confirmed case with one of the clubs.

Has there been a cancelled season since WW2?

I think it's a certainty and hope the decision is made before clubs fork out $000's unnecessarily for insurance and fees.

If they don't the season will be decimated anyway as covid wreaks havoc with clubs being unable to front teams and having to forfeit.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Clarification: IF we do lockdown for a month like other nations, and it proves effective, then probably May.

IF we keep going on the current path, might be whole season.

Figure it is somewhere in the middle?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's my hunch. There was an email sent out to Subbies clubs about the situation which basically points you to the RA site.

BJT

Frank Nicholson (4)
With most clubs starting trials this week (I know some already have), you'd like to think something definitive will come sooner rather than later.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lotta rumours flying around. "Three weeks" from a club member. Tweet from Wayne Smith suggesting moratorium on Club Rugby until May 2nd.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
All training and games shutdown till the first week of May.

What then? Start the season straight away? I suggest that's unlikely, still need to train people up to minimise injury. Season to start 4 weeks later?

I'm thinking May 2 is a line in the sand.

There will be subsequent reviews from government all the way down by the end of March. All the epidemiologists will have their say.

If people do the right thing and we put a clamp on it, maybe they'll bring it in.

BUT people are generally fuckwits, so yeah May 2 to resume training and a mid/late May start could be on the cards.

Karl_H

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm thinking May 2 is a line in the sand.

There will be subsequent reviews from government all the way down by the end of March. All the epidemiologists will have their say.

If people do the right thing and we put a clamp on it, maybe they'll bring it in.

BUT people are generally fuckwits, so yeah May 2 to resume training and a mid/late May start could be on the cards.

Yeah, date could move. Interesting times.

I had confirmed from subbies that there would be a training and trials period before the start of the season. If we start first week of May I would expect the season to start early June giving 4 weeks to get ready.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The update is in line with what RA have said: pushed back from May to June.

Divisional meetings are going ahead to have a bit of a sounding out of clubs. Not sure any rugby will go ahead, but with a June start at best, and a 3-4 week run-in training period, half a season would be the best on offer, running right up against cricket season in September.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The update is in line with what RA have said: pushed back from May to June.

Divisional meetings are going ahead to have a bit of a sounding out of clubs. Not sure any rugby will go ahead, but with a June start at best, and a 3-4 week run-in training period, half a season would be the best on offer, running right up against cricket season in September.

Just like in the good old, bad old days. Although back then there was usually one Saturday in between rugby and cricket seasons. Great day for a long lunch in the beer garden at the Eastwood Hotel!!! Curried prawns and rice at the Chinese chew and spew across the road!!!