• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Lions, round 14, SUNDAY 18 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My point was that he is quickly running out of time to put his name forward, but he will need to do more than he did tonight to make the Wallaby squad. He just doesn't dominate the collisions or make the impact through traffic compared to the guys he is competing with for the Wallaby 6 jersey. If he wasn't the captain and line out caller he would be lucky to make the Tahs 15 at this point.

Well, for what is with I don't think he'll be a wallaby this year either.

But this isn't the wallaby watch thread.

Now, back to the question: are you a back?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well I don't think his name has been mentioned once for the Test jersey and him not making the XV is only down to backrow depth. He'd be the best 6 and the Force, Reds and Rebels.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Horne - I think wing might be his best possie so far. Fast, bustling, great D. Putting in a good shot for a wallaby spot, especially considering what else he covers in the backline.

Yes........ he's back! Get him in there Linky boy!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well I don't think his name has been mentioned once for the Test jersey and him not making the XV is only down to backrow depth. He'd be the best 6 and the Force, Reds and Rebels.
Id have Cottrell, Colby Fainnga and Mcmahon ahead of Dennis everyday of the week. He might be in the best team at the reds.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cottrell has done well, but Colby and McMahon? Even some Rebels fans aren't convinced, and besides which Colby is an openside.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Horne - I think wing might be his best possie so far. Fast, bustling, great D. Putting in a good shot for a wallaby spot, especially considering what else he covers in the backline.

My hopes for Horne as a high as anyones since watching him play that semi at the SFS as a 19 year old. I thought we may have a first glimpse of one of the greats, but not as a winger on that performance. Both tries were strongly fiished but in each case he chose to do it the hard way when he had an unmarked man outside him. Those are low percentage options. The one opportunity that should have been finished by a genuine winger he got run down. Still think he is a phenominal talent but he needs to learn when to pass.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Id have Cottrell, Colby Fainnga and Mcmahon ahead of Dennis everyday of the week. He might be in the best team at the reds.

Let's wait until after this weekend and after the Rebels play a forward pack with a bit more mongrel than the Reds before names like Fainnga and McMahon get mentioned. Dennis might not have the impact of Jackpot/Skelton/Palu/Douglas but he does the simple things right.

I think the Rebels backs will be more of a challenge to us this weekend, the forwards less so.

I think there will be a few Lions players who will be nursing back/rib injuries this morning. Palu was immense and looked like the wrecking ball of old. In a monster pack with so much aggression, he stood out. Yes McCalman is good too, but not sure he has the top notch cattle around him that play that well week in week out to have to rise above (Hodgson excluded).

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Still buzzing from the game -

Believe it or not, Tah fans at the ground actually started to make some noise that wasn't booing, and unprompted by any ground announcer.

Examples included when JackPot came on and the ball got anywhere near the new Fijiian winger. It showed a regard for the team that's not married to superstar status.

If the Tahs got 20k+ yesterday then that's a tick up. Where going or pulling someone to the Tahs was a bit of a grind last year, it feels easier this year. Could we be seeing some early signs of supporter recovery?

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Great first half by both teams. Second half the Lions ran out of steam and Tahs dominated.
Though both teams had a crack at playing rugby and for me Foley was my pick. He really attacked the line at speed and got the backs moving well.
Probably the first time I have not fallen asleep watching the Tahs:)

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Went to the pub with a mate to watch the game and have to ask what you guys are smoking talking up Foley for a Wallaby spot. Twice he put the 'tahs under unnecessary pressure 5 out from their own line when all he had to do was kick the ball, even if the low percentage pass had come off there was nothing to be gained as the bloke on the receiving end was well and truly covered. That type of stuff is not what Link will hopefully be looking for.

I thought Beale was a bit of a handbrake on the backline, yes he played well but he didn't seem (except for the chip kick - though that could easily have ended with a free kick to the Lions) to set play up for his outside men.

Agree with others that the big Fijian needs to spend more time in SS rugby before being given another shot. I asked a question on one of the other threads after watching his highlights video - can he tackle? the answer to that thus far appears to be no. I was also worried by his handling from that video and the first time the ball came his way he didn't look like catching it, though some in the pub did point out it was a poor pass but at this level he should have made a better effort.

Great win for the 'tahs, got the bonus point and putting pressure on the jakeballers for top spot on the Oz conference. They play the Bulls this week so if the 'tahs can win 2 weeks running (not including the pre-bye win) then will go top of the Oz pile. Though the team needs to be aiming to go top 2 of the overall standings which is possible if they keep winning and the Kiwis keep cannibalising each other.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You do realise Foley is not locked in to play the Tahs style of footy at Test level.. It was the Lions they were throwing it around.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Skelton has got some strengths, no doubt about it. However, his lineout work is virtually non-existent. The scrum was under pressure for much of the game, the Tahs do not have a scrum coach (unbelievably), and I wonder about this aspect of his work, too.

As a former second-rower (as we used to be called, and most of us used to weigh about 2/3 of this big bopper's mass) I want him to be a huge success. But I really cannot see him in a Wobbs jersey just yet a while.

Frankly, if his all-round game was good enough, you would almost put him on for 60 minutes, to bash the opposition, and use his immense strength in the tight stuff. I almost said, to throw his weight around.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Thing about Foley is he does the right things pretty well. When things get difficult he doesn't look to transfer pressure or do that hoppy-skippy bullshit some young players are wont to execute rather than just take on the line.

Yep, he made a couple of mistakes, but when the team is playing that style then you take the risk with the reward.

That's what we've constantly been told about Kwade anyway...

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Some random thoughts:
  • Crowds appear to be on the way back. Pity we are away for the next two weeks and then shut down for another three weeks. All momentum totally lost.

Really? That's a complete frikken disaster

I think there could be a pick-up in momentum. In that intervening period there's obviously a Saturday arvo Wallabies test at the SFS, then Brumbies at Homebush and another SFS Sunday arvo game against the Highlanders. That's three consecutive weekends of great rugby, preceded by two further televised Wallabies games to get people in the mood.

The crowds could be a bit dependent on whether the Tahs are still in the hunt, but that's potentially a great run home.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Are you a back? I just can't work out if it's the pre-game beer giving me gas or attitudes like yours.

Dennis was in doing the dirties and covered up several key possessions, as well as playing link man quite well. Not everyone gets to wave a big flash with their name on it - someone has to deliver the pill and they dummy always get the accolades.

Now, why don't you go join that line over there under the sign that says "Self-Administered Uppercuts Apply Here"

Horne fucking killed it every time he ran the ball. He might not have Habana-pace but combine what he does have with his strength and he'll murder opposition wingers. First couple of times he slams into their ribs they won't be keen to go again -attack OR defence. Can't run without your spine, as the old saying goes.

Scrum needs work. Lineout was generally good though some of the not straight calls were a bit one way against us.

Last three games has been ten tries without Izzy getting in the score sheet. Interesting stat.

Foley for Wallaby 10.

I'll rave more about this tomorrow
I also questioned the not straight calls.Tahs got pinged for one and then the next 3 by the Lions went down their side without a problem.
Dennis played pretty well in my eyes,even though I am not a great fan.Not sure where our lineout would be without him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I rewatched the game last night after being there on Sunday.

I thought Phipps had an excellent passing game and really put the ball out in front of the runners well.

Far fewer high passes than earlier in the season.

I think he's hitting form at the right time for the Tahs and until he has a bad game, the ongoing criticism he seems to face almost every week seems unwarranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.