• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Lions, round 14, SUNDAY 18 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Crowd figure posted: 19, 369.

The bankers at Moore Park will be happy.

Did I spell that correctly?

I thought it would have been a little more than that. Members close to full and the eastern side well populated. If asked I'd have thought over 20,000.

We're back to posting crowds now are we? I thought it wasn't possible to do that on match day and the figures had to be checked for accuracy?;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My figure was taken off the foxtel feed.

Perhaps if the initial count is deemed acceptable to the bankers ie > 18000, then it is allowed to be released without further accuracy checks.

ABC 702 radio was calling a 20000 - 22000 crowd figure.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Cheik playing Skelton does his wallaby squad chances a big boost, Can I expect to see Big Will at coogee soon ;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My figure was taken off the foxtel feed.

Perhaps if the initial count is deemed acceptable to the bankers ie > 18000, then it is allowed to be released without further accuracy checks.

ABC 702 radio was calling a 20000 - 22000 crowd figure.

I'd have honestly thought 20,000 minimum and closer to 25,000. I didn't get there until 3.50 because of Sunday club rugby (grrrrrr) and there were about 300 people still lined up at the ticket windows. Also they opened up the car park south of the Hordern Pavillion - can't recall the last time I parked there for a Waratah match.

The game was entertaining, so hopefully most will be back. Anyway, it should put to bed the theory/excuse about SAF teams not drawing - the biggest SFS crowd for the Waratahs in a couple of years at least.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Some random thoughts:
  • Crowds appear to be on the way back. Pity we are away for the next two weeks and then shut down for another three weeks. All momentum totally lost.
  • Will Skelton was top three for MOM. People who think he is no good because he can't go for more than 20 minutes should watch this game. There was an absolutely sublime little pop pass to Foley, he's got very good hands. He was very good for 60 and only dropped off by a small amount in the last 20. I hope his little brother is just as good.
  • I think other teams have started to work out some of the backline moves. Looping that would have led to clean breaks is now starting to lead to half breaks. But still, today the penetration was good and we scored five tries through the backline and bombed at least four others.
  • Michael Hooper should have been subbed at 60; he's played far too many minutes this year and to my eyes looks fatigued.He will play 80 minutes in all three tests this year, so he gets no break in the test window.
  • Anyone who thinks Palu won't be 8 against the French hasn't seen this match yet. He was awesome. McCalman has to be his back-up, I thought Higgers was ordinary on Saturday, though he may get the back-up 6 jersey if they bypass Mowen.
  • The Waratah scrum was outpointed on the day, but was better in the second half. The Lions have the best scrum in the competition and it certainly showed.
  • Bread for Carraro next week is essential. Carraro is an outside centre converted to a winger and lacks top end speed and acceleration. Taqele needs to go back to Shute and then the NRC to learn to play wing in Rugby. Its different than League. But he does show a lot of promise and should not be discarded yet.
  • Foley and Beale had awesome games.
  • We still have to improve by a good 30%. We should have won that by 80 given the limitations of the Lions, but lack of fluidity in attack and poor option taking are still an issue. But we are well on the way. Five points next week and a miracle win by the Blues is what we desperately need. Unlikely but not impossible.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do we declare that the wheel has turned spectator wise, or is this just the first swallow of a far off summer?

There has been a bit of a rugby buzz in town.

Problem for ARU is that as Sydney may getting on the rugby bandwagon (helped by great things happening in Shute Shield), things are going a little pear shaped (or are not too far off it) in Queensland.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
  • Will Skelton was top three for MOM. People who think he is no good because he can't go for more than 20 minutes should watch this game. He was very good for 60 and only dropped off by a small amount in the last 20. I hope his little brother is just as good
except i reckon in that last 20 there was a passage where he pulled off 3 big hits in a row which gave Palu (I think) the chance for a turnover - sure he was blowing hard but he lifted for that job.
Very impressive.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Do we declare that the wheel has turned spectator wise, or is this just the first swallow of a far off summer?

There has been a bit of a rugby buzz in town.

Problem for ARU is that as Sydney may getting on the rugby bandwagon (helped by great things happening in Shute Shield), things are going a little pear shaped (or are not too far off it) in Queensland.

The buzz in the crowd was the best for years and the game was a good spectacle - tries, ball movement and even some collapsed scrums for the diehards;)

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great to see a decent crowd, especially against what would probably be the lowest drawing team.

The Tahs need to promote the hell out of the Brumbies game at ANZ. It'll be such a crucial match so anything under 30k would be poor, and I think they could push it up to 40 if there's good weather. A crowd of over 40k and an exciting game would do wonders for Australian rugby.

If they win that or are at least still in contention then the Highlanders game could be another big crowd (it's another Sunday game).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
should welcome the hatred of randwick it has dramatically eased of in recent times with our poor on field results
No eased,just starved of oxygen.
Their shit form has been like a back burning operation.
Have a couple of big back to back wins and the bushfire will whip up again.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ground announcer said crowd was >20k. Awesome game, great win. Watching the replay on fox now for good measure

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Some random thoughts:
  • Crowds appear to be on the way back. Pity we are away for the next two weeks and then shut down for another three weeks. All momentum totally lost.

Really? That's a complete frikken disaster

Fantastic arvo though - warm, great footy, approaching decent crowd.

Even the beer lines were OK - so logically they closed the bars 20 mins early. That drives me nuts.

Horne - I think wing might be his best possie so far. Fast, bustling, great D. Putting in a good shot for a wallaby spot, especially considering what else he covers in the backline.

Skelton - better with every match. Really should have only played 60 (as should Cliffy) but the kid's got talent. Could do with more leg drive.

Foley - Quade's injury sure opens a door he could well go through.

Tahs keep playing like this at home and they will come.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Waratahs who hurt their Wallaby chances: TPN, Dennis (anonymous)

Are you a back? I just can't work out if it's the pre-game beer giving me gas or attitudes like yours.

Dennis was in doing the dirties and covered up several key possessions, as well as playing link man quite well. Not everyone gets to wave a big flash with their name on it - someone has to deliver the pill and they dummy always get the accolades.

Now, why don't you go join that line over there under the sign that says "Self-Administered Uppercuts Apply Here"

Horne fucking killed it every time he ran the ball. He might not have Habana-pace but combine what he does have with his strength and he'll murder opposition wingers. First couple of times he slams into their ribs they won't be keen to go again -attack OR defence. Can't run without your spine, as the old saying goes...

Scrum needs work. Lineout was generally good though some of the not straight calls were a bit one way against us.

Last three games has been ten tries without Izzy getting in the score sheet. Interesting stat.

Foley for Wallaby 10.

I'll rave more about this tomorrow

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Are you a back? I just can't work out if it's the pre-game beer giving me gas or attitudes like yours.

Dennis was in doing the dirties and covered up several key possessions, as well as playing link man quite well. Not everyone gets to wave a big flash with their name on it - someone has to deliver the pill and they dummy always get the accolades.

Now, why don't you go join that line over there under the sign that says "Self-Administered Uppercuts Apply Here"

Horne fucking killed it every time he ran the ball. He might not have Habana-pace but combine what he does have with his strength and he'll murder opposition wingers. First couple of times he slams into their ribs they won't be keen to go again -attack OR defence. Can't run without your spine, as the old saying goes.

Scrum needs work. Lineout was generally good though some of the not straight calls were a bit one way against us.

Last three games has been ten tries without Izzy getting in the score sheet. Interesting stat.

Foley for Wallaby 10.

I'll rave more about this tomorrow
My point was that he is quickly running out of time to put his name forward, but he will need to do more than he did tonight to make the Wallaby squad. He just doesn't dominate the collisions or make the impact through traffic compared to the guys he is competing with for the Wallaby 6 jersey. If he wasn't the captain and line out caller he would be lucky to make the Tahs 15 at this point.

4. Skelton
5. Douglas
6. Potgeiter
7. Hooper
8. Palu

19. Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.