• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Vs Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK we are screwed.

The Tahs scrum will be up against the best front row in the comp. (Afoa, Kev & Woodcock)

Our struggling lineout will be up against two test locks in Boric and Williams.

So that negates out strengths

We have to change things and use the ball we get.

1 Robinson
2 Nau
3 Palmer
4 Thompson
5 Caldwell
6 Mumm
7 Robinson
8 Palu
9 Burgess
10 SNK
11 Tiquiri
12 Carter
13 Tahu
14 Horne
15 Turner

16 Fitzpatrick
17 Kepu
18 Mowen
19 Waugh
20 Sheehan
21 Beale

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We. Are. Farked. It won't matter if the Blues don't tackle again - we'll drop or kick whatever ball we have anyway. :angryfire:

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
this is going to be ugly, apparantly waugh might be out with a calf strain, baxter gone for a few weeks, its pretty much going to be on robonsins back to get go forward (as it has most of the season) hopefully we can pull something out of the hat with the forward pack matched on paper, now would be the time to throw it around a bit!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Mumm will surely have to return to the second row for this game. Bring Mowen back in at 6. FP, I see you have left Hangers out altogether? Can't see that happening. BTW - Can Beale play halfback?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
mark_s said:
Mumm will surely have to return to the second row for this game. Bring Mowen back in at 6. FP, I see you have left Hangers out altogether? Can't see that happening. BTW - Can Beale play halfback?

Mark, I just don't rate Hangers. He is a plodder at best. Beale, as NTA has reminded us needs to get work in the tackling sand pit and he just ain't a 9.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Dead.set, harden the fark up boys. Enough with the woe is me self pity.

Tahs are great with their backs against the wall. Its when their true fighting spirit emerges. It'll be bayonets in the trenches stuff. Brutal, hard, physical, raw. Our defence will cripple the Blues. We will feed off their clumsy errors, lack of cohesion and live inside their 22. We will physically humble them and it will be sweeter than a 4 try bonus point win.

S

Spook

naza said:
Dead.set, harden the fark up boys. Enough with the woe is me self pity.

Tahs are great with their backs against the wall. Its when their true fighting spirit emerges. It'll be bayonets in the trenches stuff. Brutal, hard, physical, raw. Our defence will cripple the Blues. We will feed off their clumsy errors, lack of cohesion and live inside their 22. We will physically humble them and it will be sweeter than a 4 try bonus point win.

Love it :thumb The Blues hate the cold steel up em.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
From the blog, this is Juan Cote's backline:

Juan Cote said:
10. Sam Dad-Dad
12. Hangers
13. C. Lote
11. Tim Tam
14. Playford
15. Turner

I'm impressed by the vision here. Not sure about Hangers, though. Swap Horne for Hangers and now you've really got something. I like Tahu on the wing. I like Sam up front. I even like Lote in the centres. It's all good.

Beale on the bench for 10 and 15. Carter for 12 and 13.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We're pretty much fucked. The Blues have guys who can support and score tries - something we desperately lack. Woodcock will use Palmer as his chew-toy - all credit to the young bloke but he's going up against someone who is allowed to drive sideways mercilessly by every referee going. I don't have a problem with Robinson v Afoa because the big Kiwi is tragically overrated.

The only thing that could possibly save us is the Blues falling into a coconut rugby mentality and falling to bits if it doesn't work after the first phase.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hooker on standby as Waugh recovers

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | March 24, 2009

THE pressure on Damien Fitzpatrick continues to intensify, with the Waratahs teenage hooker named as a candidate to replace captain Phil Waugh as the team's openside breakaway.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey yesterday said the 19-year-old Fitzpatrick, the 2007 Australian Schoolboys captain, was among his options if Waugh were unable to play against the Blues in Auckland on Friday night because of an Achilles strain.

While NSW management will not make a decision on the skipper's fitness until the captain's run in Auckland on Thursday, Fitzpatrick, who made his NSW debut against the Crusaders on Saturday night, is on alert to appear at the front of the scrum or in the back row.

While Ben Mowen is the most likely alternative for Waugh, Hickey yesterday seemed keen to experiment early with the clearly versatile Fitzpatrick.

"We wouldn't dismiss using Damien as an openside flanker," Hickey said yesterday. "He played there in his younger days, and I've seen him play there in some games - not as a starting selection. The skills that he brings would allow him to adapt to that openside position quite easily, and would allow us to cover Phil if we had to."

Fitzpatrick received a harsh initiation when he came on in the final minutes of the Crusaders game, replacing Tatafu-Polota Nau. The Waratahs pack fragmented in the set-piece in which he was involved.

The other uncertainty in the team is prop Dan Palmer, who has been ill for several days with a viral infection. Palmer, who at 20 is a first-class front-row novice like Fitzpatrick, was ill when he played against the Crusaders, which only further amplifies what an excellent performance he had at tight-head when he replaced the injured Al Baxter in the 34th minute.

Palmer was a reliable anchor against the Super 14 titleholders, and it is hoped he will take over as No.3 after it was revealed Baxter will be sidelined for a month with a calf muscle complaint. "Dan has been quite ill, and we hope it won't affect his selection," Hickey said. "But these things can hang around for 24 hours, and we have to be on a plane to Auckland on Wednesday."

Hickey, who said injuries had forced him to delay announcing the team for at least a day, remained coy over Kurtley Beale's tenure at five-eighth. However, the uncertainty up front may well save Beale's spot - if only for the sake of consistency somewhere in the line-up.

Hickey was not too concerned by the team's second successive loss, saying that basic errors were letting the Waratahs down.

"Having looked at the video, we did create plenty of opportunities, and we believe 90 per cent of our game is pretty sound," Hickey said. "It's the 10 per cent, which perhaps are the easiest things, such as the handling errors, which is stopping us from scoring points. Conservatively, we probably wasted 19 points on Saturday night. That's not only 19 points on the scoreboard, but it also changes the momentum of the game considerably.

"When you analyse those errors, it was only one error from 10 players. It's not one player making five or six errors in the game. It's just those small errors that are individual which are undermining all the hard work, and means we are not maintaining pressure."

And Hickey is definitely not mentioning the dreadful fact that the Waratahs have yet to enjoy a Super rugby victory in Auckland - it has been six matches for six losses.

"You can always say it's one game closer to a win," he said. "Auckland has a fine record at home, and there's a certain comfort in having a home game. But that is not something we focus on. We have to keep the focus on our preparation."

�? Participation in seniors, juniors and schools that play in regular competition increased last year, the Australian Rugby Union announced yesterday. However, the overall participation figure dropped from 189,914 in 2007 to 183,810 last year.

So Palmer is crook and Beau Robinson is either injured or rated 4th choice openside behind the 19yro second reserve hooker.

WTF?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Waratahs captain Phil Waugh in doubt for Super 14 clash with Blues

By David Beniuk
March 23, 2009

Another New South Wales Waratahs prop has gone down injured and captain Phil Waugh is unlikely to train before the eve of Friday's crucial Super 14 clash with the Blues in Auckland.

Waugh's Achilles tendon strain will force the Waratahs to travel with an extra man when they depart for New Zealand on Wednesday.

And that could become 24 men if Al Baxter's replacement at tighthead prop, Dan Palmer, can't overcome a nasty virus which has laid him low.

Baxter was ruled out for a month on Sunday after re-injuring a calf muscle, while several other battered Waratahs, including key forwards Wycliff Palu, Dean Mumm and Benn Robinson, sat out training on Monday.

"(Waugh) can't really train for the first couple of days so we'll just have to see how it pulls up by the captain's run (on Thursday)," Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said.

"We've got Ben Mowen who could start at openside (flanker) and we used him on Saturday when Phil came off so that's probably our main option."

Hickey said replacement hooker Damien Fitzpatrick and Beau Robinson could also come into calculations as Waugh's replacement, if needed, in the No.7 jersey.

Palmer's illness comes at a bad time for NSW with Baxter and Matt Dunning sidelined, but Wallaby tourist Sekope Kepu will be available to play his first Super 14 game of the year.

Loosehead Benn Robinson highlighted the challenge that would await the undermanned Waratahs front row.

"They are probably the number one scrummaging side, in our opinion, in the Super 14 at the moment so it's definitely going to ... be our grand final in the front rows," Robinson said.

Hickey said he was hopeful of not having to leave Palmer at home.

"We'd hope not but we've had to send him home, he's pretty crook, he's got a bit of a viral infection," Hickey said.

"Sometimes these things can hang around for 48 hours and we've got to be on a plane by Wednesday so we're just a bit unsure at this stage."

The injury concerns allowed Hickey to deflect questions about selection as he mulls over how to react to his side's two straight losses.

But the coach has abandoned his earlier unconditional support of Kurtley Beale starting at five-eighth after some inconsistent performances.

"We're reviewing all those selections and it's the same every week, when you sit down you have a look at the performances of all the players and it's a little bit harder this week because of the number of players who are carrying injuries and aren't able to train with us," he said.

"It's not just Kurtley's selection that comes under the microscope, it's all the players."

Hickey said his side's game was 90 per cent "sound", and no one player was to blame for the other 10.

"When you go through and analyse those errors, it was only one error from 10 players, it's not one player who's making five or six errors in a game," he said.

"They're things that you work on constantly at training, catch and pass and those sorts of things.
"It's an awareness thing and as much as anything it's individual players taking responsibility."

AAP

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Gee, Fitzpatrick must be rated if they are considering him at openside, but why Robinson wouldn't be an automatic selection with Waugh injured I don't know?

Is it time to consider Coridas for a bench role?

On paper the Blues pack looks to be the superior and I wonder how much Baxter, and maybe Waugh, will be missed.

The backs.....

Like everyone, Horne is entitled to the odd bad game and last week wasn't his best. What about him at 12 and Carter at 13? I agree with most that Kurtley needs a break and would opt for SNK there, with Turner to the back and Tahu on one wing. Whilst Lote's pace is a worry, defensively I would have him on the other andBurgess at 9. Sheehan, Halangahu and Playford on the bench with Beale to find form and confidence in Grade.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'll just put it out there - I really rate Beau and given that Waugh is probably going OS we need him desperately.

BR has skills, speed and the right attitude. As you say fp, WTF?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
I'll just put it out there - I really rate Beau and given that Waugh is probably going OS we need him desperately.

BR has skills, speed and the right attitude. As you say fp, WTF?

I read these articles and just grumbled.

It highlights all that is wrong with Aus rugby.

We have a reserve hooker being suggested as an openside. Who the f*ck is going to be reserve hooker then?

A 19-20yro kid starting his career as a hooker should be living in the middle of every live scrums and throwing a million lineout throws a week and then doing extra power work in the gym. If he has any energy left to be an "openside" he should first have his tight work practise doubled.

F

formeropenside

fp, I tend to agree with you: its part of the reason I love Hardman and hope young players watch what he does.

He just does his job in the set piece well, and is solid around the park in attack and defence. He may well be up there with Moore as the slowest player in Oz rugby, but he's damn solid.

He would not be my first choice Wallaby hooker, but I'd be happy with him on the bench.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Scarfman said:
I'll just put it out there - I really rate Beau and given that Waugh is probably going OS we need him desperately. BR has skills, speed and the right attitude. As you say fp, WTF?
I read these articles and just grumbled. It highlights all that is wrong with Aus rugby. We have a reserve hooker being suggested as an openside. Who the f*ck is going to be reserve hooker then? A 19-20yro kid starting his career as a hooker should be living in the middle of every live scrums and throwing a million lineout throws a week and then doing extra power work in the gym. If he has any energy left to be an "openside" he should first have his tight work practise doubled.

Spot on, Scarfie and fp. For me it highlights all that's wrong with New South Wales rugby. Link FINALLY gets his act together, and with an outstanding backs coach, and the blazers who think they know how to run a pro rugby team fuck it all up. Hickey's finding the pressure difficult and his reactions to it are turning out to be somewhat bizarre. Let's hope he reflects on these suggestions and comes up with something more sensible.

I think the basics for a successful squad are there in spades; Hickey and co have recruited well and have good succession plans in place. Getting Axle on board was a masterstroke but losing Kiss and Louden was careless. The injuries to our numbers 3 and 4 props couldn't've been foreseen and will probably define the Tahs' season. How about putting those succession plans in place and give Robinson a start. He performed well in 2007 when Waugh was injured; he's now older and wiser and needs the game time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
fp, I tend to agree with you: its part of the reason I love Hardman and hope young players watch what he does.

He just does his job in the set piece well, and is solid around the park in attack and defence. He may well be up there with Moore as the slowest player in Oz rugby, but he's damn solid.

He would not be my first choice Wallaby hooker, but I'd be happy with him on the bench.

and it is why Moore is the best hooker we have; look at Nau dynamic around the field but only this year he has become near a real quality hooker because his throwing and scrummaging has improved.

F

formeropenside

I agree that Moore is our No.1 hooker, I just hope the Brumbies keep him hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.