• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Vs Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

I decided to come back for hate week after spitting the dummy. :angryfire:

The Brumbies scrum will hold its own against the Tahs :eek: (especially when Timani comes on at lock). Timani would have started instead of Hand today (read quote by Friend) but is under an injury cloud. I think Friend is beginning to see the light by picking Kimlin (who has been lacking fitness) to get the Brumbies over the advantage line - however, he's not as good as Palu at doing that. Problem for Brumbies will be at fly half - Beale is for more accomplished than Lealiifano with ball in hand (worse without it though). Will Holmes have a massive game? Probably not but he does offer a lot more tempo than Phibbs. Holmes needs to keep the Tahs on the back foot with every free kick but not over play his hand. I wonder how T Smith will go - I think he's a quite a good player and very underrated. He's quite effective at getting over the advantage line for a smaller bloke. Power packed like his brother.

One area I could see the Brumbies having a go at the Tahs is the lineout. If that goes well on the back of a good Gerrard kicking game then the Brums could be in with a chance with some fire power coming off the bench. However, on form, you'd have to give it to the Tahs. How good have Caldwell, TPN, Robinson, Mumm and the Architect been? Very impressive indeed.

Sorry Ash, I think the QLD tight 5 has been rubbish this year (especially without Horwill) and I think the Brums will do much better in that area. Not sure it'll be enough though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hickey confirms pack of changes for derby

Rupert Guinness | March 12, 2009

The Waratahs may still rejig their forward pack for tomorrow night's derby against the Brumbies in Canberra, despite No.8 Wycliff Palu being likely to start with a fractured hand.

The 24-man squad named on Wednesday will travel to the ACT by bus today for their Super 14 clash against the seventh-placed Brumbies.

But coach Chris Hickey admitted yesterday's prediction in the Herald that Chris Thomson might be picked to start in the second row, with Dean Mumm relinquishing the No.4 jersey to start as blindside breakaway (pushing Ben Mowen to the bench) was "fairly accurate".

It is also expected that Timana Tahu will start at No.12, with Tom Carter going to the bench.

"It's about weighing up a good balance for this game. Obviously, we have also wanted to see what they come up with," Hickey said yesterday.

The Brumbies, meanwhile, confirmed they had reconfigured their back line, with halfback Josh Holmes promoted to No.9 for Patrick Phibbs.

"That is probably a pretty significant selection," Hickey said. "Holmes is a good ball-runner. He is a genuine threat as a No.9, and a terrific support player. It probably gives a few clues as to how they want to approach the game."

As reported, Christian Lealiifano has held on to the No.10 jersey, while Tyrone Smith has been promoted to No.12. Stirling Mortlock has moved out one place to No.13. Adam Ashley-Cooper has gone to one of the wings with Francis Fainifo to force Clyde Rathbone onto the bench, while Mark Gerrard remains as starting fullback.

One surprise in the Brumbies' line-up was Peter Kimlin as the run-on blindside breakaway.

Julian Salvi, dropped to the bench as reported, was expected to have been replaced by Sitaleki Timani, who was bracketed with Shawn Mackay as he still has a knee concern.

At Waratahs training yesterday, Palu, with his left hand still bandaged from its fracture in last Friday's win against the Reds, ran with the side before a 40-minute scrummaging session.

"He pulled up well. We are pretty confident that he will be right to start," Hickey said.

Palu will be monitored in this afternoon's captain's run, after which an assessment will also be made on prop Al Baxter's calf muscle strain, and a full NSW team named, with Tatafu Polota-Nau to be included after being cleared of concussion.

Baxter, one game from a 100th cap for the undefeated NSW side, did not train yesterday but rated his playing chances as 50-50.

The Waratahs-Brumbies fixture offered more edge than a NSW-Queensland match, says NSW fullback Sam Norton-Knight, who will play his 50th Super game. He said the derby "has probably caused the most interest from an on-field point of view".

"There has been the off-field stuff from Queensland, and they are starting to play some great rugby. But over the previous five years, they probably haven't been where they want to be."

Norton-Knight, who will play for the Cardiff Blues in Wales after this season, speaks from experience.

He earned nine Super caps with the Brumbies after his debut against the Crusaders in 2005 before playing for NSW from 2006.

He said the Brumbies' rivalry with the Waratahs dated from when the Canberra side, which he joined in 2003, was founded in 1996 with players who were mostly NSW discards.

The Brumbies are still the only Australian side to claim a Super title - in 2001 and 2004.

When he was there, the Brumbies "hated the Waratahs", he said.

"I think that attitude permeates through most of the Australian teams. So it's not unfamiliar. But it was a game that [the Brumbies] really targeted.

"A lot of the players were blokes overlooked for the Waratahs. That was a big part of it, I would have thought."

So the side is expected to be

1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
3. Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs)
4. Chris Thomson (Warringah)
5. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
6. Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
7. Phil Waugh# [c] (Sydney University)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly) or Luke Doherty
9. Luke Burgess (Sydney University)
10. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
11. Lote Tuqiri (West Harbour)
12. Timana Tahu (West Harbour)
13. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
15. Sam Norton-Knight (Northern Suburbs)
Reserves
16. Adam Freier (Randwick)
17. Dan Palmer (Southern Districts)
18. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
19. Luke Doherty or Dave Dennis
20. Brett Sheehan (Warringah)
21. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
22. Tom Carter (Sydney University)

S

Spook

pfft, bunch of wasters. Especially the 3 traitors - Thompson, Baxter and Sam hyphen. The Tahs season to become derailed after this match.. :thumb

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
pfft, bunch of wasters. Especially the 3 traitors - Thompson, Baxter and Sam hyphen. The Tahs season to become derailed after this match.. :thumb

The Brumbies are a good chance.

Their chances hinge on Lealiifano IMHO, the Crusaders highlighted he struggles badly against a rush defence, with Homles at 9 I guess they will want Homles to run a bit and get in behind a rush; and how Tahu defends against Smith.

The forwards will be a real arm wrestle.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Spook said:
pfft, bunch of wasters. Especially the 3 traitors - Thomson, Baxter and Sam hyphen. The Tahs season to become derailed after this match.. :thumb

Good to see you back on board, Spook.

The Tahs set pieces have been excellent this season, something Eddie Jones could've taken advantage of with Hickey at the Brumbies. Any attempt by the Ponies to play Brumbieball will be negated by the Tahs at the scrum and lineout.

Baxter a traitor? I thought his parents were passing through Canberra when his mother went into premature labour. A mere accident of birth in my book.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
PaarlBok said:
Ash I need your help man. We tipping against your lot this weekend and I need to know which one will win this one. Dont be shy Boet, I always give mine away. :lmao:

PB; I'm going for the Tahs by 1 - 8 at this stage, assuming that the Tahs don't have 4 - 5 players ruled out between now and the game. You'll probably beat us this week, a few of our tipsters have been up and down, and I'm due for a bad week!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Spook said:
Sorry Ash, I think the QLD tight 5 has been rubbish this year (especially without Horwill) and I think the Brums will do much better in that area.

Someone has to keep the Reds faith year in year out...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Regarding the culture of the Brumbies, I would have thought that it mostly Gregan and Co that had the Tah-hate thing going. Are these guys really out to win a grudge match? There'd be more heat in a Force-Reds game.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Palmer to start and Tilse to bench I guess. Not good for the Tahs, not good at all. :nta: I just put my tip in for the Tahs as well which I regret. Ahh well they may sneak in.

Just about to head home and pack my bags. What do I need? A calculater and glasses to fit in with all the ABS and Treasury workers? Lindo would probably say a gun and I certainly wouldnt be going if I had a pregnant wife, girlfriend or mistress (Baxter) thats for sure. But personally for all the bad wraps Canberra gets it has some good parts, eg jugs of Moose Juice at Mooseheads and ... and ... , well one good thing at least.

S

Spook

What's wrong with the Architect? He never gets injured. I'm a bit dissapointed his isn't playing. My understanding is that the Tah backup props are too flash right?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Brumbies will cause grief at scrum time and win the game :-[,

Hickey hasn't managed his tight five very well, both props and locks are playing too many minutes.

Palmer and Tilse are 5th and 6th choice units and babies.

F

formeropenside

My god, the Tahs have done some deal with the devil this year. They've got a great draw, and now their injuries to Baxter etc mean the outcome would have been different last Friday night with the Tahs backup props.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
My god, the Tahs have done some deal with the devil this year. They've got a great draw, and now their injuries to Baxter etc mean the outcome would have been different last Friday night with the Tahs backup props.

Yeah great "deal" losing two test props before the season starts.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Spook said:
What's wrong with the Architect? He never gets injured. I'm a bit dissapointed his isn't playing. My understanding is that the Tah backup props are too flash right?

Yeah, I assume you meant "aren't". And they aren't. Palmer is a baby in terms of prop years, but at least he's a tighthead. Tilse couldn't even make the Sydney Uni 1st grade side ahead of Jerry Y and Laurie Weeks - and Jerry Y is in the Brumbies Academy and hasn't been sighted, and Laurie Weeks hasn't set the world alight for the Reds.

If the Brumbies scrum is wiley enough to attack through the tighthead - and it should be (not that I particularly rate Henderson as a scrummaging prop) - then the Tahs scrum should suffer, especially with a new lock packing down as well. Wonder how the Tahs lineout might be affected without the tallish Baxter lifting at 1 or 3 as well.

I would've thought that the Brumbies set peices would've struggled in this game, but the Tahs are now carrying a few injuries and lost a key player. Based on the Tahs performance from last week, the Brumbies at home should be able to sneak a win, I think - Brumbies 1 - 8 for me now.

A lot will now depend on the Lealiifano - Beale clash as injuries start taking the more dominant Tahs pack out of the game. Moving T. Smith to 12 is another move that I think will help the Brumbies backline after their disaster against the Force.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs have been winning on the back of their strong tight five, now there are two newbies in the engine room. It will be very difficult

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
D-Fence. Go the Tahs. It's 1:38 and I'm starting to get too distracted to work. I'm tipping the Tahs and I've got 12 beers ready to back me up on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.