• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Vs Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Just watched match. Surely Ben Alexander has earned a run on spot? Awesome game from him. Nice to see the the Brumbies smash every ruck. Tahs looked very flat and got no quick ball.

The loss of both starting tight heads made the set piece a mess. Both guys are lifters as well.

It's become very apparent that the Brumbies are starting to play an offloading sort of game. It'll take time but it's getting there.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Just watched match. Surely Ben Alexander has earned a run on spot? Awesome game from him. Nice to see the the Brumbies smash every ruck. Tahs looked very flat and got no quick ball.

The loss of both starting tight heads made the set piece a mess. Both guys are lifters as well.

It's become very apparent that the Brumbies are starting to play an offloading sort of game. It'll take time but it's getting there.

Alexander is great in the loose, but still isn't a destructive scrummaging LHP. I would prefer him to do less running and more making THPs cry.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Spook said:
How did Kimlin go? Apparently he was quite unfit at the beginning of the season as he played feck all games whilst riding the pine for the Wallabies...but you would think by now he'd be getting match fit.

Despite the flame on his head I thought he was pretty invisible in the first half but was decent in the second, getting stuck into a bit.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Strange game. The Tahs picked a big pack with Thomson at lock and Mumm at 6 and have to know Waugh isn't up to an expansive game. They proceeded to throw the ball wide and wondered why the Brumbies were turning it over at the breakdown. I'm not sure why we would want to give our awful backs more ball. Agree that we pretty much have to give up on Beale and start looking for alternatives.

Thought the refereeing was appalling. The Brumbies only managed to string 15 phases together for their 43rd minute try due to diving off their feet and sealing the ball off at the breakdown. In defence they were constantly offside and coming in from the side. It was like vintage Crusaders defence - commit multiple infringements and the referee is numbed into ignorance by infringement overload.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Having watched this afternoon's two games, I was struck by all 4 backlines involved (3 Kiwi, 1 Farce) attacking well with pace, depth and direct running. Something the Waratahs just never do, despite having some good ball runners in Turner, Tuqiri, Tahu, Horne et al. The Brumbies did little in this regard too, but it was a little more than the Tahs. Add their excellent counter-work at the breakdown and there was the win.
Frankly, the Tahs shit me to tears.
Naza, you can complain about the Brumbies sealing it off all you like, but good teams do that to protect their ball, and if the ref won't police it, then good luck to them. The Waratahs did have the option of changing the game plan, and trying some muscle of their own at the breakdown, but didn't.
Beale must be rested, but what option there? Hangers may be more solid, but hardly an attacking threat. Not SNK (despite his belief that he is a 10).
I agree with posters suggesting Beau needs a go. The Orc just looked totally outclassed by Smith again.
Welcome back Spook (or is it Spook II?).
Congrats Brumbies.

P

PhucNgo

Spook said:
What have the Tahs done to Growden? He has been slagging them all year. I wonder if Hickey told him to fark off - good man.

Haven't watched match yet but will do.

I may be too late, but don't bother.

P

PhucNgo

NTA said:
Growden is deep into menopause - he slags everything. And Hickey probably DID tell him to fuck off, which is no less than any human would do.

I should probably watch Reds v Tahs while waiting for the game.

Yeah! Can we start another Growden hate thread soon. I do understand his frustration, but his parting is way overdue. He comes off as a pist off old man who's just rolling his arm over (note that most of his Monday Mauls etc. have a formulaic feeling to them) and couldn't be bothered trying to find any positives. Cynicism, is that the word I'm looking for?

P

PhucNgo

fatprop said:
Spook said:

Alexander is great in the loose, but still isn't a destructive scrummaging LHP. I would prefer him to do less running and more making THPs cry.

I think Alexander played an excellent role in what he does best at the moment. Like an auditor he came in and bayonetted the wounded. As FP says, he's not up to it in the rucking/scrummaging stakes yet, but having said that, he's not far off. His best game this year by far. Just look at his face in slomo to gauge the intensity.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Those familliar with Andy Friend's coaching philosophy will have seen his mindprint all over the Brumbies' performance last night.

S

Spook

Biffo said:
Those familliar with Andy Friend's coaching philosophy will have seen his mindprint all over the Brumbies' performance last night.

It's looking kind of Welsh to me.

S

Spook

Biffo said:
Spook said:
Biffo said:

It's looking kind of Welsh to me.

what are you on today?

Victory. Seriously though Biff, the Welsh national squad play a high tempo offloading game. The Brumbies are not there yet but I suspect that is where they are trying to get to in attack. Smashing rucks is very much Andy Friend though.

P

PhucNgo

naza said:
Strange game. The Tahs picked a big pack with Thomson at lock and Mumm at 6 and have to know Waugh isn't up to an expansive game. They proceeded to throw the ball wide and wondered why the Brumbies were turning it over at the breakdown. I'm not sure why we would want to give our awful backs more ball. Agree that we pretty much have to give up on Beale and start looking for alternatives.

Thought the refereeing was appalling. The Brumbies only managed to string 15 phases together for their 43rd minute try due to diving off their feet and sealing the ball off at the breakdown. In defence they were constantly offside and coming in from the side. It was like vintage Crusaders defence - commit multiple infringements and the referee is numbed into ignorance by infringement overload.

This is becoming a significant threat to the sanctions ELV (if it was going to get up anyway). Of my (admittedly) limited view of NH rugby so far this year it seems to me that their (referees) attempt to clean up this aspect has been successful in keeping people on their feet and allowing a contest for the ball. In the S14, particularly among (but not limited to) the NZ teams, going off/sealing off has just become a blight. My point is that I like the sanctions ELV in that it gets the game moving quickly, but the downside is that teams are testing the refs to resort to the yellow card. In the NH teams seem to have gotten the message and stay on their feet, so it averages itself out i.e. there are fewer time consuming full-arm penalties. I honestly don't know what the answer is, but I sure as hell don't want to go back to games where the winning score is divisible by 3.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whomever is coaching or handling the Tahs backs needs to be seriously looked at. As mentioned, they have no pattern or structure or even combinations with each other. Most of the time, the Tahs take one of three options: 1. forward runner on a short pass or cut inside, 2. short pass to the second receiver, or 3. midfield bomb. There is little width or spreading of the ball. There are few pop passes or cuts. No real inside balls or changing of direction. Nothing.

Of all the teams in the S14, the Tahs have shown the least amount of skill or creativity in the backline this season. The Tahs backs have 2 - 3 highlights in the backs after 5 games, where most other teams have at least one game with more highlights.

Looking at the Tahs cattle in the backs and considering their dominant or strong pack in every game, they should be doing better. I'm wondering if they are over rated, under performing, woefully coached, or a mixture of all three. Something needs to be changed, though. Burgess has been poor, as has Sheehan, Beale has been poor (but looks to be a protected species, ironic giving the Tahs revolving door at 5/8 in previous years), Tahu hasn't delivered at 12 and Carter is a one dimensional player who offers nothing on attack other than chasing kicks.

How about spinning some balls wide to the wings or even to the centre, or some real inside balls or changes of angle...anything.

Rant over.

S

Spook

Hickey may be holding his cards close to his chest. The Tahs have been winning.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ash said:
Whomever is coaching or handling the Tahs backs needs to be seriously looked at. As mentioned, they have no pattern or structure or even combinations with each other. Most of the time, the Tahs take one of three options: 1. forward runner on a short pass or cut inside, 2. short pass to the second receiver, or 3. midfield bomb. There is little width or spreading of the ball. There are few pop passes or cuts. No real inside balls or changing of direction. Nothing.

Of all the teams in the S14, the Tahs have shown the least amount of skill or creativity in the backline this season. The Tahs backs have 2 - 3 highlights in the backs after 5 games, where most other teams have at least one game with more highlights.

Looking at the Tahs cattle in the backs and considering their dominant or strong pack in every game, they should be doing better. I'm wondering if they are over rated, under performing, woefully coached, or a mixture of all three. Something needs to be changed, though. Burgess has been poor, as has Sheehan, Beale has been poor (but looks to be a protected species, ironic giving the Tahs revolving door at 5/8 in previous years), Tahu hasn't delivered at 12 and Carter is a one dimensional player who offers nothing on attack other than chasing kicks.

How about spinning some balls wide to the wings or even to the centre, or some real inside balls or changes of angle...anything.

Rant over.
Look at the Kurtley Beale thread, Ash. I agree with you about 100%!!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Spook said:
Hickey may be holding his cards close to his chest. The Tahs have been winning.

Good point Spook! A 10-point loss isn't the end of the world after all. I think what we're seeing is the result of two Aussie derbies in a row for the Tahs - just get the win and fuck the fancy stuff. This after taking on three Kiwi sides and trouncing two of them, all with the same starting pack.

Ash said:
Beale has been poor (but looks to be a protected species, ironic giving the Tahs revolving door at 5/8 in previous years),

But that's exactly it - in the past we've had guys line up at 10 and fluff it, then boot them. Sure Beale is getting a long run at it but (A) what are the other options? and (B) maybe he needs time to grow into it? Personally I'd like to see Horne add a bit of spark at 12 to take some pressure off Beale. Alternatively, put Hangers there to add a second playmaker. Carter is reliable but you know exactly what you're going to get with him there so teams don't have to think - the third option is to start getting Carter to use his noggin rather than just his shoulders

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
How about buying a couple of old backline moves from the Brumbies? Or buy Bernie a slab and see what he thinks. Play Jonah Lomu Rugby on Playstation and write down the moves. Anything.

S

Spook

Scarfman said:
How about buying a couple of old backline moves from the Brumbies? Or buy Bernie a slab and see what he thinks. Play Jonah Lomu Rugby on Playstation and write down the moves. Anything.

Agreed. Bernie is at the games as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.