• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs vs Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They looked good in the 1st half against the Lions, but in the 2nd half they looked like the old Stormers - and didn't score a point IIRR.

I liked the look of Duane Vermeulen, the man of the match for the Stormers. He was pretty good for them last year too and the few times I saw him in the 2009 Currie Cup.

Watch this space.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Wikus will be a big blow for us. If he is out injured , JD Moller will play and JC to the bench.

The Stormers pretty much had the match in the bag at half time and lift the foot in the second half. The biggest positive was their defense in that 40 minutes.

We'll see on saturday where they stand and a win at least un negotiable if they want to make the semis. That backline is full of poison and can turn a match on its head in no time. Mentolly weak, we'll see about that, the weak lot is gone when Luke Watson and his souties left and this words pretty much dont excist in their captains vocabulary.

Have my tickets and cant wait for the action.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Langthorne said:
The balance of the Waratahs squad is not quite right.

You're right - been said a few times too.

Sidey was probably the best 13 we could get based on his form in club rugby before he went overseas, and his form for the Dragons when he got there. They wanted to re-sign him for 2 years but he wanted just one year so he could come back to play S15 rugby in 2011 when there would be more Super jobs. He was making up his mind when he got the Tahs offer - he had been in the stable before.

But if he show-ponies again when scoring a try as he did at SunCorp and forgets about improving the position for the conversion the coach should get him to be the tackle bag when TPN does his tackling practice. I bet Waugh tore strips off him after the game.

There's not a lot of available 13s going around the Sydney comp. The most promising are good mates Bennetts and Mitchell who both play for Eastwood and are in the Tahs Academy. Mitchell is the 2008 Schools captain, but has been injured a lot, even at school. Bennetts was injured a lot at school but he was healthy in 2009 and was the regular Eastwood starter. He is in the professional group.

Watch this space for these two in a couple of years time. But I digress.

No proven backup for Waugh is unaccountable. They have settled on Alcock who doesn't play the position for Gordon and is not always in 1st grade anyway. Beau Robinson was dumped for some reason and Sam Latinupulu, the Oz U/20 and regular 1st Grade Northern Suburbs fetcher, was not only overlooked, but dumped from the Tahs Academy.

There are more things known to coaches than we posters to rugby foums - but it is curious.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Mentolly weak, we'll see about that, the weak lot is gone when Luke Watson and his souties left and this words pretty much dont excist in their captains vocabulary.

I am basing that statement on ten years of promise, talking it up pre-season, and then disintegrating.

Enough talk out of the Cape. Let's see some action for a change.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
PaarlBok said:
Mentolly weak, we'll see about that, the weak lot is gone when Luke Watson and his souties left and this words pretty much dont excist in their captains vocabulary.

I am basing that statement on ten years of promise, talking it up pre-season, and then disintegrating.

Nope. Let's hope the leopard shark can't change its spots. ;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tahs squad that should be playing once the nancy muthafuckas at SANZAR pull their fingers out of each others' arses (i.e. Mumm gets back):

1 Robinson
2 TPN
3 Baxter
4 Mumm
5 Caldwell
6 Mowen
7 Waugh
8 Palu
9 Burgess
10 Barnes
11 Mitchell (even though he's a complete wuss-bag's nutsack)
12 Carter
13 Anesi
14 Turner
15 Beale

16 Hobbit
17 Palmer/Kepu - rotate these blokes in and out of the starting lineup too.
18 Dud
19 Dennis - if he hardens up a bit.
20 Holmes
21 Hangers
22 Sidey

No, I don't know what I was thinking...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
PaarlBok said:

The Stormers are traditional slow out the blocks now for years. This year its different. One match at a time and Waratahs it is. Pretty sure you'll see some action on saturday, Newlands will be chock and block and a hot place comes saturday 19h00.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
NTA said:
Tahs squad that should be playing once the nancy muthafuckas at SANZAR pull their fingers out of each others' arses (i.e. Mumm gets back):

1 Robinson
2 TPN
3 Alexander :nta:
4 Mumm
5 Caldwell
6 Mowen
7 Waugh
8 Palu
9 Burgess
10 Barnes
11 Mitchell (even though he's a complete wuss-bag's nutsack)
12 Carter
13 Anesi
14 Turner
15 Beale

16 Hobbit
17 Palmer/Kepu - rotate these blokes in and out of the starting lineup too.
18 Dud
19 Dennis - if he hardens up a bit.
20 Holmes
21 Hangers
22 Sidey

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
Blue said:
PaarlBok said:

The Sharks are in Natal. What the fuck are you on about?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It's official. NTA has gone nuts. He is confusing Ben Alexander and Al Baxter.

I mean jeez, both have an X in their name but I expect more from a prop, and a a well educated one at that ;)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
PaarlBok said:

Typo, Mate, typo. Let it stand for all to see my incompetence.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Blue said:

It happens - once I wrote Tom Jones when I meant to write Ryan Jones - "It's Not Unusual".

You've got BA there instead of AB and the x and the er. Made sense - but maybe it's just me because I do it all the time.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lee Grant said:
Blue said:

It happens - once I wrote Tom Jones when I meant to write Ryan Jones - "It's Not Unusual".

You've got BA there instead of AB and the x and the er. Made sense - but maybe it's just me because I do it all the time.
OK Oom Lee we have age on our side to use as a excuse, NTA is still a laaitie but then forwards not known to be that quick. ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
PaarlBok said:

Biff I took that one hard on the chin, calling as Guppies or Leopards. :lmao:

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:
PaarlBok said:

Biff I took that one hard on the chin, calling as Guppies or Leopards. :lmao:

Mate, Blue got me smack on the chin. Get up off the floor, dust myself off, wait for a chance to belt him ;)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
New Tah goes from square Roodt to spare
GREG GROWDEN CHIEF RUGBY CORRESPONDENT
February 16, 2010

EVEN though the Waratahs' South African recruit Hendrik Roodt is a mere shadow of his former self, and has not played top-level football in 18 months, he is primed for his Super Rugby debut when he returns to his homeland this week.

When the Waratahs left for South Africa yesterday, there were enough hints that the 22-year-old Roodt, an Emerging Springboks representative, would make his first NSW appearance by taking over from the injured second-rower Cam Jowitt, when they play the Stormers in Cape Town on Saturday night, and then against his old province, the Bulls, in Pretoria on February 27.

Roodt hails from the small rural town of Lichtenburg, 250 kilometres west of Pretoria, and believes that his many relatives who live on the veldt and are already chasing him for match tickets will have trouble recognising him. It all has to do with his dramatic weight loss since moving countries.

When Roodt came to Sydney last year to join the Waratahs, he was a massive 142 kilograms. Intense training and a special diet have trimmed him down to just 120kg.

''I'm quite excited about going back to my home country and getting some game time,'' Roodt said before yesterday's team flight. ''This is the first time back to South Africa for me, and my family probably won't be able to recognise me. I'm certainly a little skinnier than what I used to be.''

Roodt, nicknamed ''Dud'' by his teammates,
added that the extra bulk was caused primarily by a season out of football. After being in the Blue Bulls Currie Cup squad in 2007-08, he had a year off to study and worked as a junior draughtsman in Johannesburg. A query from the Waratahs about whether he was interested in playing Super football lured him back to the game, and so he relocated to Sydney.

''Psychologically, that break from football helped me a lot, because I now know what I want and where I want to go,'' Roodt said. ''I'm now 100 per cent ready for football, and I know what I want to do afterwards.''

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said Roodt would be vying with Kane Douglas and Dave Dennis for a second-row spot, while Ben Mowen was expected to take over the vacant blindside breakaway spot after Dean Mumm was suspended for two weeks for barging into a ruck during the Waratahs' two-point win over the Reds in Brisbane on Saturday night. Mumm is a major loss, especially as NSW are about to confront two powerful South African packs.

Despite Roodt's limited amount of match time recently - he has been restricted to several trial appearances - Hickey said the South African was ready for Super rugby.

''I'm sure by going back to his homeland he will want to prove a point about making the move to Australia,'' Hickey said. ''I'm confident he'll perform well. He's worked really hard. His attitude has been fantastic, and he's played well when given the opportunity.''

While relieved that the Waratahs enjoyed a lucky victory against the Reds, Hickey warned the players they could not be complacent in South Africa.

''There were a lot of areas on Saturday night the players and coaching staff weren't happy about,'' he said. ''We're not kidding ourselves that it was a faultless performance against the Reds.

''A glaring area was the kick-offs, and that was really significant in keeping Queensland in the game in the second half.

''We also turned the ball over in contact many times, while our lineout accuracy wasn't as good as it needs to be. Still, our match control in the last 10 minutes was excellent.''

Bolded items:

• Square Roodt? - Ouch, some of the puns for a new bloke make you wince, but best to get them out of the way, I suppose.

• I was expecting to see a taller version of Os du Rant when I watched the Waratahs trial at Viking Park and I didn't recognise him at first. Didn't look very mobile though - let's see.

• I knew that the players called him "Dud" but thought it was an in-house thing.

• I know that I've bagged Daisy Dennis before even though he's a bloody good club player, has a high work rate around the park and can use the ball. But that bagging was in relation to his being talked about as a professional lock: a position where he plays his club rugby. Now it's mentioned again. Chris Hickey - don't think of using the 192cm 104kg Dennis as a lock against the likes of Andries Bekker who is 8ft tall. Think of him as Mowen's backup at 6.

• You can argue until the cows come home about whether or not Mumm should have been suspended, or even given a yellow card, or even penalised. We have all seen worse on most weekends of the S14 and they are not pinged. Consistency is the key and it should be consistent on the side of player safety - but it isn't. I think he deserved all of the above for stupidity - especially at that time of the game when the Tahs had a glimmer of hope.

• Yeah they were lucky to win but folks forget that they were also lucky to win against the Lions last year in the RSA. So - I doubt if they will be complacent, but if they play like they did at SunCorp they will be mentally and physically lethargic, which is even worse.

• Poor restarts - just like the Wallabies. People rabbit on about scrums and lineouts as important set pieces, and they are, but quasi-set pieces such as restarts (both kicking and receiving) and mauls are just as important in my eyes.

• Control at the end of the Reds game? Yeah it was great, and it showed the superiority of the Tahs bench on the night, but let's hope the Tahs don't have to rely on such things to win games against mentally tough teams, because they will lose.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
Paarl what's the story with Fondse. Is he injured?
Ja, on his way to recovery. Must say I am impressed with the younger steenkamp broer thus far. Myself would start Anton van Zyl, for his experiense.

Jantjes also not far from being back but I dont think he'll get a start very quick. Joe Pietersen have lift the ante since he replaced him and now pretty much one of the Stormers star players.

Status
Not open for further replies.