• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs vs Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Looking forward to this one. The Stormers have become the Tahs bitches but with Habana and Fourie out wide this season, we might see a different outcome.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Spook said:
Looking forward to this one. The Stormers have become the Tahs bitches but with Habana and Fourie out wide this season, we might see a different outcome.
I thought the Reds were the Tahs' bitches?

Edit: Lindomer, note the appropriate use of an apostrophe above, used in this case to indicate ownership. That is to say that the Tahs OWN the Reds :fishing

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moses said:

Edit: Lindomer, note the appropriate use of an apostrophe above, used in this case to indicate ownership. That is to say that the Tahs OWN the Reds :fishing

The same way the Tahs own Super rugby titles? Oh, wait...

Not sure who to tip for this one. Really like Fourie and Habana out wide for the Stormers, but have serious doubts about their front row compared to the Tahs.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ash said:
Moses said:

The same way the Tahs own Super rugby titles? Oh, wait...

Not sure who to tip for this one. Really like Fourie and Habana out wide for the Stormers, but have serious doubts about their front row compared to the Tahs.

Blaauw's injury is a real setback for the mountain goats.

I think the scrum dominance will be reversed by the Stormers at the lineout.

And the back rows will be pretty evens, so I think its hard to call which is why I tipped the Stormers by 3, purely on home advantage.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Got my oldest son back from the UK after a year and we'll have box seats for this match. He have some Tah Aus friends who obvious are Tah blue jealous not to join him on saturday.

Expecting the Stormers to play full house attacking from all corners in this one. They'll just have to blow the Tahs off Newlands tomorrow, will be their weapon with Grant in 10 and attackers from jersey 12 to 15.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is this where we should be analysing the Tahs performance?

Forward pack is not firing, and the pack is what gave them their wins last year. They just can't step up a gear at the moment.

Barnes...stop kicking the freaking ball at every opportunity. I yelled at the TV when he did it at the Reds, and I groaned when he did it vs the Stormers. Barnes revels in kicking away turnover ball, regardless of the overlap outside him. Yes, nice kicks - but you blew the chance of a counter. That is my biggest pet hate of Barnes' game.

One reason why you will not see Tahs backs "clicking" is they are too busy either kicking the ball, or turning it into a forward. Which is a shame, as Turner looks in good form and I'd like to see more of him with the ball.

Mowen has somehow ignored all his time off from injury and refound his very good S14 form from last year. Bolter for the Wallaby squad?

Burgess seems to have developed the Gregan trick of taking some steps before passing.

The "Dud"? Gee, he's a big unit. Looked off the pace, though, in his cameo.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Ash said:

Forward pack is not firing, and the pack is what gave them their wins last year. They just can't step up a gear at the moment.

Barnes...stop kicking the freaking ball at every opportunity. I yelled at the TV when he did it at the Reds, and I groaned when he did it vs the Stormers. Barnes revels in kicking away turnover ball, regardless of the overlap outside him. Yes, nice kicks - but you blew the chance of a counter. That is my biggest pet hate of Barnes' game.

One reason why you will not see Tahs backs "clicking" is they are too busy either kicking the ball, or turning it into a forward. Which is a shame, as Turner looks in good form and I'd like to see more of him with the ball.

Tahs fans are in hiding after that hiding. We were debacled.

Ash's points are spot on.
Forward pack - intensity just isn't there. We're getting manshamed. The refs are murdering our dominant scrum, which doesn't help.
Inside backs - lateral and fuck about waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Barnes is playing deeper than the fullback, which is why we can't get over the advantage line. He also thinks he's a Socceroo.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
naza said:
Ash said:

Tahs fans are in hiding after that hiding. We were debacled.

Ash's points are spot on.
Forward pack - intensity just isn't there. We're getting manshamed. The refs are murdering our dominant scrum, which doesn't help.
Inside backs - lateral and fuck about waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Barnes is playing deeper than the fullback, which is why we can't get over the advantage line. He also thinks he's a Socceroo.

The usually dominant Tahs scrum has failed to get acendancy for two weeks running. It's not quite clear to me why, but the refs have nothing to do with it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ash said:
Barnes...stop kicking the freaking ball at every opportunity.

apparently this is why Mooney first moved him to 12 and Cooper to 10. Because Barnes would 'forget' the game plan and kick it too often.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
9. Burgess
10. Beale
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. ... Horne...
14. Turner
15. Sos

??

... Such a disappointing game. The refs calls on the scrum were so frustrating, albeit for both teams. Crouch, touch pause.... pause again... pause some more... engage. Ridiculous.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Blue said:
The usually dominant Tahs scrum has failed to get acendancy for two weeks running. It's not quite clear to me why, but the refs have nothing to do with it.

Nothing to do with the 10 second pauses between crouch-touch-pause-engage ? There's 1900 kgs of beef there, it has a mind of its own and cannot be tamed by a scrawny pea blowing pedant.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
naza said:
Blue said:

Nothing to do with the 10 second pauses between crouch-touch-pause-engage ? There's 1900 kgs of beef there, it has a mind of its own and cannot be tamed by a scrawny pea blowing pedant.

It applies to both sides. Both sides have to deal with it. If a quicker hit happened to favor one side then this is obviously a better situation now.

Tahs scrum is not what it was last year, regardless.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Haven't seen it yet, went to Jervis Bay for the weekend and the house we rented didn't have Fox. Struggling to find the motivation to press play...

T

TOCC

Noddy said:
Ash said:
Barnes...stop kicking the freaking ball at every opportunity.

apparently this is why Mooney first moved him to 12 and Cooper to 10. Because Barnes would 'forget' the game plan and kick it too often.

gotta be joking?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What a performances from the Stormers. Thought their the defense wasnt good it was plain awesome to watch them hit the Tahs back metre by metre. Sorry we did not got the bonus point try but I would have take that scoreline anytime.

The best was Habana, but thats what you expect from a Bok, so young ones like the Galpil (Paarl Boys High) duo de Kock Steenkam and Pieter Louw, Flo (Francois Louw) and Juan de Jongh was just great to watch. The first game Pie Eater plays like a champ in Stormers colours.

For the Tahs, well they simple have to change their tune pretty quick if they want to get close to a semi. Phil Waugh was pretty disappointing and hope he suck every word about the new rulings. Not only was he dirtier then every Saffer can wish for but he'll get penalise if he plays like this week after week. Hope he suck his before the tournasments starts every word about us Saffer players.

Barnes banana leaguies kicks was just plain laughable and the Tah backline nothing more the a big fart compare to the Stormers.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Absolutely woeful. Totally devoid of a game plan. Unfortunately its looks as though Hickey as learnt nothing from his first year and is just proving that he is nothing more than an average club rugby coach.

Whilst I thought the ref was a strange old chap, the extra long pauses at his scrum calls are part of the new refereeing directive. If you watched the Bulls v Brumbies match beforehand, Lawrence also utilised the pauses but because of his player management skills and experience, was able to be a lot more effective (plus Alexander had a woeful night and collapsed at every opportunity making it easy to give penalties).

Mowen was the only positive from the Tahs performance. Waugh's captaincy was abysmal and set a very poor standard for the team. Whilst Hickey develops the overall game plan, it is up to Waugh to adjust things on the field as required. He seemed more intent on upping the niggle plus forgetting about the new tackle-release directive. When he got the slap from that Stormers tiny winger, he should have just walked away but chose to carry on. Poor form.

Agree that Turner looked OK. Where where the inside backs in the first half. Dont think Carter touched the ball once. And when he did get the pill in the second half, he didnt do a great deal to subdue the detractors on this forum. Hopefully Horne can start next week and actually run some creative outside centre lines.

Though that Dud was just that, exemplified by his first off appalling lineout reception. Good Tahs attacking opportunity, clean take from the Dud and then he just drops the pill.

All up, very concerned that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Time for a few people to step up or time for a major personnel change starting at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.