• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't understand the opinion that Watson should bat down the order. Why? His technique is clearly suited to pace bowling- his areas of strength are straight down the ground and square of the wicket. He plays best with the ball coming on to the bat, and lacks the creativity and footwork needed to prosper against spin and deteriorating wickets that you get batting at 5 or 6. If you want to push anyone down the order it should be Clarke, who is one of the best players of spin in the world.

It was no coincidence that Watson improved his average by 300% when promoted from 7 to 1. He should open or bat 3. Very similar to what happened to Ponting when he batted 6 when Langer was at 3, he averaged something like 20. His technique was much more suited to the harder faster ball.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The two senior batsmen really are the major problem at the moment. Hussey and North's fragility looks like being addressed and we seem to have serviceable opening pair in Katich and Watson, although I sincerely hope Katich isn't picked if he's unfit. But what to do with Punter and Pup? Neither look like they're handling their current circumstances very well. Punting's failing eyesight and/or reflexes SHOULD lead him to moving gently down the order in his remaining years in the baggy green; I could conceivably see him batting at 5 in the test when he announces his retirement. But Clarke? He's had a bad back for yonks, why hasn't he learnt how to manage it? For a batsman of his ability he should be looking to bat at first drop for the next five years as he accepts the responsibility of taking charge of this team. For me Watson should open or bat 6.

Yep, agreed on all counts. It would interesting to see if Ponting has had the issue of first drop raised with him. He's a proud guy and wouldn't want to give it up, but I think he needs to for the sake of the team. The only thing that worries me about Clarke is as you say his back. It seems to me that he has the sort of injury that's not really ever going to get better and it will need to be managed carefully.

Baba, you are right that Watson plays pace bowling well and has a proper batsman's technique. I'm happy for him to stay opening because its working, but lets be honest, the selectors didn't really have that in mind for him last year in England. It reeked mightily of desperation and fortunately for them it came off. It's not a big issue, especially if he's not standing in the way of a talented youngster (he's not at present).Tell you what though, I feel terrible for Phil Jacques. How that bloke hasn't been able to get back into the team is a mystery, especially when we haven't been going that well. He's experienced and has a track record in test cricket. He just got unlucky with injury.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jaques has had a bad run of injuries, but also hasn't really done much at state level for a fair while. With his history at the top level all he would need to be back in the frame is a couple of consecutive hundreds in the Shield, but the runs have sadly dried up a bit.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Their quicks will be key. As good as Swann's form has been, an off spinner never will win a series on our pitches. Well, certainly not one that I've ever seen, and there have been a few decent ones.

But then, I reckon off-spin bowling is a bit half arsed. Real men bowl leggies.

or chuck it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
A couple of thoughts:

Hussey - He doesn't deserve to still be in the team. He has had a lean spell for 2 years, and he must have only been in the team for about 5 years. As much as I like the guy, Australia can afford to carry out of form players, particularly ones that don't score quickly or put any pressure on the bowlers.

North - I'd be tempted to keep him on the back of his state form and his part time spinners. He could play a big part with those offies in some of the tests.

Khwaja - Should come in for Hussey.

Ponting - I still believe he is the best batsmen in this side, he just needs to look at how Tendulkar has started batting more conservatively as he has gotten older, and take that approach.

Watson - His technique change is what made his average increase, that and some confidence in his place and consistent run without injuries. His position in the order made much less of a difference. He is still highly susceptible to lbw by sticking that big pad down the wicket and trying to play around it.

Johnson - With the middle order this is the man that will win or lose the ashes for us. If he is bowling well, he will win us games, if he is bowling poorly he can lose us games. He is that critical.

If it rains more between now and thursday next week (which is predicted) I would be tempted to play a 4 man pace attack with Watson, North and Katich to back up (Clarke probably won't bowl due to his back).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
There is a possibility of Clark not passing fit, which means it is likely that Khwaja will get the call up. Down the track this could lead to Hussey being dropped when Clark comes back, but I doubt they have the guts to drop Hussey just yet.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
A couple of thoughts:

Hussey - He doesn't deserve to still be in the team. He has had a lean spell for 2 years, and he must have only been in the team for about 5 years. As much as I like the guy, Australia can afford to carry out of form players, particularly ones that don't score quickly or put any pressure on the bowlers.

Agreed. I think he's a great bloke and a great cricketer, but he doesn't know where his off stump is any more and scratches around a lot out there for not much result. Unless he scores heavily early in the series, not only will we be in trouble, but it will probably be his last season of test cricket.

North - I'd be tempted to keep him on the back of his state form and his part time spinners. He could play a big part with those offies in some of the tests.

He looks in slightly better form at present, but jeez only slightly. Needs some runs and fast.

Khwaja - Should come in for Hussey.

Agreed.

Ponting - I still believe he is the best batsmen in this side, he just needs to look at how Tendulkar has started batting more conservatively as he has gotten older, and take that approach.

One of the big problems that Punter has is that he scores heavily on the pull and the cover drive, but with his diminishing reflexes (and thus ability to get into position to play the shots), he also gets out playing them a lot (especially on the pull). He either needs to re-discover how to play the shot without getting caught or bin it. This will be playing on his mind, I'm sure. Not a great thing for a batsman to be doing, as you play best when you aren't actually thinking and it's mostly instinctive.

Watson - His technique change is what made his average increase, that and some confidence in his place and consistent run without injuries. His position in the order made much less of a difference. He is still highly susceptible to lbw by sticking that big pad down the wicket and trying to play around it.

We can only hope he continues to do what he's been doing, otherwise the middle order will be even more exposed.

Johnson - With the middle order this is the man that will win or lose the ashes for us. If he is bowling well, he will win us games, if he is bowling poorly he can lose us games. He is that critical.

Totally agree. He is devastating when the ball is coming out right, but a total liability if not. It will be important for the guys around him to put additional pressure on the opposition in that case.

Rarely have I looked at a team from Australia where I feel that we have to cover weaknesses as much as this. It's rather concerning.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
just a recap of todays cricket action so far:

Shane Watson out for 6
Simon Katich out for 1
Phil Hughes out for 2
Usman Khawaja out for 13
Callum Ferguson out for 7
Mike Hussey out for 0

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's pretty comical if you think about it that nearly every batsman who is in the running for the Aussie top 6 has made next to nothing today. How do you select from that bunch?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
...and gone for 7. Things not looking good, although could be a day for the seamers across the board judging how things are going.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
To be fair Moses they were the only two really decent scores all day.

Meanwhile Xavier Doherty has knocked off Katich and Henriques to have 2/12 off 7 at lunch. If he grabs a bag it will certainly give the selectors something to think about.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Did anyone read the interview with former selector John Benaud today? He was remarking about Hauritz's place in the team. Stinging doesn't even begin to describe it.

You know things aren't going great when even our own press turns on us instead of the opposition.

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
I think that there are parallels in Cricket Aust selections for the ashes and Wobs selections.

Success in the Home Ashes series is not as assured as it usually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.