• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hmmm, same shit, different day, it seems. So we just wait / hope / pray for Hussey, Haddin and Johnson to get some runs?

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
My in depth analysis. Ahhhhh... fuck.

I've got a mate who reckons that Jimmy Barnes can rescue any Australian innings if used liberally enough. As such I've got No Second Prize on repeat. Desperate, but worth a shot.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Can I ask, without being a prick, what Ponting needs to do to get dropped? Seriously, his continued selection to me is like flogging a dead Ratface.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Can I ask, without being a prick, what Ponting needs to do to get dropped? Seriously, his continued selection to me is like flogging a dead Ratface.

It just isn't the way of the Aus selectors, especially with long-termers, and batsman in particular. If he was not captain, I suspect he would still be there. Next series? Maybe not. He is getting some good deliveries, but the one that got him today could (and would) probably have been left by an in-form Ponting.
We have got by with partially firing batting line-ups for quite a while now. Even a few years back, poor starts were not that unusual, mid-order collapses too. BUT, there always seemed to be someone (or some two) who got enough runs to give us a game. We have existed in a fools paradise, I think. The fragility is getting worse.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Cheers. I do think it works better when guys find form in lower levels, although I have no idea who might be pushing for Ponting's place.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cheers. I do think it works better when guys find form in lower levels, although I have no idea who might be pushing for Ponting's place.

I think that is the other issue. Some the "names mentioned" in the press have steadfastly refused to show decent 1st class form at the right time.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Khawaja is next in line and is a seriously good player. The thing about the balls Ricky is getting at the moment is that they are creating doubt, something old Boycs calls the corridor of uncertainty. When you are playing well you can confidently leave much of that stuff, but when you're not, you will reach a little bit more than usual. Good bowlers will continually probe that line, because they know it's how you get quality players out.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Suns out now, looks great for batting.
Second worse Australian performance this summer, closely edged by Channel 9's lack of coverage

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, this is going to be painful. At this rate the poms won't even have to bat twice. Any of the Shield teams could have put up a better fight than this.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've identified the problem; pats on backs. Siddle didn't take a wicket and leaked runs: in short, he failed. Then he goes over to the sideline to cheers and gets a big old pat on the back from the trainer.

It's like when there was discussion about variable pay rates for a win and a loss. There are no consequences for a poor performance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well, this is going to be painful. At this rate the poms won't even have to bat twice. Any of the Shield teams could have put up a better fight than this.

have you seen the scores in Shield games lately?

Western Australia 190 v Victoria at Perth - Oct 10-13, 2010
Queensland 75 and 96 (f/o) v New South Wales at Brisbane - Oct 31-Nov 1, 2010
Tasmania 196 v Queensland at Hobart - Nov 10-13, 2010
New South Wales 97 and 190 v Tasmania at Sydney - Nov 17-19, 2010
Tasmania 125 v New South Wales at Sydney - Nov 17-19, 2010
South Australia 198 v Queensland at Brisbane - Nov 17-19, 2010
Queensland 196 v South Australia at Brisbane - Nov 17-19, 2010
Victoria 141 v Western Australia at Melbourne - Nov 17-20, 2010
Tasmania 177 v South Australia at Hobart - Nov 26-29, 2010
South Australia 55 v Tasmania at Hobart - Nov 26-29, 2010
Queensland 150 v Western Australia at Brisbane - Dec 10-13, 2010
Western Australia 108 v Tasmania at Hobart - Dec 17-19, 2010

And we're not talking young tear aways as the wicket takers. It's players like Pattinson (not considered good enough to make the England Ashes team); Hopes; Butterworth, Faulkner, Cassell, Swan; Dorey, Andrew MacDonald.

Either we just don't have the batting depth; or the talent's been bastarised by 20/20 or our pitches are up to scratch. Or we have the greatest Shield bowlers in history, but the selectors refuse to select them.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Interesting stuff, Reg.
I struggle to believe it is the quality of the bowlers.
It may be, in part, due to some lively wickets.
It is, mostly, IMO due to poor batting.
Maybe too much focus on one-day / 20-20 / IPL rubbish, funny shaped bats to hit bigger sixes, who knows. Where are the batsmen with a bit of grit and application?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Andrew MacDonald is back playing? Stick him in for Smith in Sydney.

Our problem is shit shots by shit batsmen. Terrible concentration by experienced campaigners who should know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.