• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I heard someone mention Dave Warner. Needless to say, in the words of Alexei Sayle "Laugh? Laugh, I nearly went to Ethiopia!".

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Thought about Dave Hussey today, but the bloke is 31. I don't think that's the direction we should be going in.

What, getting a guy who can actually bat? Fark it, they can play till they're 36+, if he's in form (and I don't know the answer to that) then age does not bother me.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Cyclo, it's a good argument, but I'd rather us rebuild properly rather than going with a guy we might get a couple of seasons out of at best. The system of promoting youth has always served us well and should continue to do so. I'd rather us lose a few more but come back stronger than limp along winning the occasional game but really not getting any better.

T

Thomas

But you still need a core group of experienced and inspiring players who can get the job done to help the younger players adjust and fit in which is Hussey in a nut shell in my opinion.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
we talking Sydney? When was the last time Jacques got runs?

1 Mike Hussey [c]
2 Shaun Marsh
3 Shane Watson
4 Usman Khawaja
5 Callum Ferguson
6 Brad Haddin
7 Andrew MacDonald
8 Nathan Hauritz
9 Mitchell Johnson
10 Ryan Harris
11 Trent Copeland

Ok. I guess Siddle deserves his spot but I still dislike him.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Asked Marais Erasmus on FB to stick KP and he nearly shite his pants about it, and so did Pointing. His Mrs and kids arrived today and look like he will be here sooner then expected.

Flippen Saffer chicken runners!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Unlike many others posting here I would not be making wholesale changes for Sydney. It was and is the poorest performance by an Australian team I have ever seen, however, some of these guys deserve more respect that what has been given to them.

I would first seriously look at sacking the selectors, who seem to have a goal to destroy as many careers as possible this Ashes series. Hauritz, then Doherty, now possibly Hughes, and then possibly Smith. Maybe even Beer. If we don't have experienced cricketers performing well in a position they are looking for (eg spinner), then either stick with the one doing the ok job (Hauritz) or pick a young bloke and stick with them for a whole series so they can relax and we can see what they've got. Guys that are 25+ and have never performed exeptionally at domestic level aren't going to be the answer at International level.

Don't put pressure on guys that haven't been performing at domestic level (Hughes) by bringing them in halfway through a series, and don't bat a guy in the top order that doesn't have the technique to do so (Smith).

The next guy who should have his head on the chopping board is Nielson.

As far as the cattle are concerned I would play the following in Sydney:

1. Hughes
2. Hussey
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Watson
6. Haddin
7. Smith (I would have had White in instead, but don't want to destroy another career just yet)
8. Hauritz
9. Johnson
10. Siddle
11. Copeland

Copeland is my only smokey for this test. I agree with Noddy that Watson is not an opener, so have adjusted the batting lineu pto suit

For the next series, well I think that Ponting should go. It is clearly time. I would stick with Hughes at the moment, but his technique needs some serious work. Strauss and Cook have completely showed our openers up in their ability to look solid and leave a lot of balls. The only guy in the Australian team that does this at the moment is Hussey. To that end I would also be introducing a new rule that no Australian test cricketers can play 20-20 cricket. Make the teams completely seperate, with the only crossover in ODIs.

Next series I'd be inclined to bring in both Mitchell and Shaun Marsh to the squad along with Khawaja. Add Cameron White as well, who is the best captain in Australian cricket. Smith would be in there, but competing against Hauritz for the spin spot until his batting technique improves.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I’m am ropeable about the Hughes run out yesterday. It was a bad call in the first place but where was the dive? That one wicket encapsulates the whole Aus Ashes campaign. To be run out when you have 3 days to bat and 400 runs behind is unthinkable (unless you are downed midpitch by a sniper). So who to pick for the 5th test? Well a spinner will have to play and that will presumably be Beer. But Beer has had little game time in the last month so I can see them looking at again at Hauritz though and it might be time to swallow some pride there.

I would drop Hilfenhaus and Johnson for this game. Bring back Bollinger and give Copeland a run. Katich has to be in if fit or even semi fit. So here is my 11 for Sydney:

1. Katich (if fit), if not Kahwaja
2. Watson – I predict he will be moved down the order for next summer, maybe even to the four position
3. Hussey – I think this might be his last test on Aus soil
4. Clarke – last chance saloon for M Clarke. He would already be captain if we thought he was a guaranteed long term pick. My prediction is he will score big in Sydney
5. Ponting – probably his last test on Aus soil unless the move down the order gives him his second life. Its scary that he is still one of our best fielders
6. Haddin – His glovework has improved this year thankfully but will need to be closely watched as Paine is looking an able replacement
7. Smith – I have seen enough to think he is worth sticking with. Yes he is a bit streaky with both bat and ball but consistency may come with age.
8. Hauritz
9. Siddle – If Hussey is Mr Cricket than Siddle is Mr Never Give Up
10. Bollinger
11. Copeland

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
SMH is reporting Ponting will miss Sydney because of his finger injury. In that case I would like to see Hughes open with Katich, and Watson move down to number 3, with Clarke at 4 and Huss at 5.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Hughes - the guy with the weird stance/technique looks like he's about to sprint in the 3-legged race?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The very same. He has showed his abilities at the top level with some very good innings, we just need to give him a bit of time and he will come good.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I hope you're wrong about him coming right and right about him getting time to try.

Aussie revival so far today, be a miracle if they can hold on for the draw.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
By 'top level' you mean Sheffield Shield?

He's got some glaring fatal errors that international teams (or at least the Poms) are having no problem driving trucks through

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
By 'top level' you mean Sheffield Shield?

He's got some glaring fatal errors that international teams (or at least the Poms) are having no problem driving trucks through

They said the same about Bradman and many others. Who is a batsmen without a technique flaw? Look at Trott, he can only score runs on the onside, but he is patient and waits for deliveries in his zone. Reality is vast majority of batters have technique flaws. My issues with hughes is that I think he is in a really bad head space right now. He came in as Hayden's replacement and is trying to play the same style of game. The thing is though it took Haydo's years of work to get to that position. Langer and Neilson should be setting Hughes a goal of lasting a whole session when opening the batting regardless of how many runs he scores but instead he is trying to dominate the attack from ball 1.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Gaggs he stil averaged above 50 coming into this test. He was dropped after one bad test, and has done OK on the few occasions he has been brought in since. He isn't perfect but as mark said who is? He is worth investing in and has immense natural talent. He is a bit rough at the moment but I can honestly see him coming good in years to come.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hughes is probably worth persevering with. He took on the best pace attack in world cricket in their back yard and did well. The problem was that his form leading into this series wasn't great and test cricket is a pretty difficult place to get your mojo back.

The big thing he needs to do is tighten up his game when the pressure is on. No going for big shots outside off stump and getting caught at point or gully. If he can do that, I think he can look forward to a long test career.

Status
Not open for further replies.