• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
England has retained the series with the MCG massacre but the Aussies may still draw the series with a win in Sydney. Surely there are 16 places on the line thein the upcoming test. I am speaking of course of the 11 players (though some have deserved to retain their places - hussey, Twat), the 3 coaches and 3 of the selectors - most prominently Hilditch (I would leave Chappell as he is only new on the panel). In their place I would promote Chappell to head of selectors, bring in Lawson, Darren Berry (not a test player but very good shield player who has coaching experience) and Terry Jenner. For coaches they should bring in Rod Marsh as head coach, reinstate Dennis Lillee and find a new batting coach who has no playing affiliation with the current team. After this is done find young players with the ability and attitude to be test greats and pick and stick.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Great article from Justin Langer here:

http://www.cricket.com.au/news-display/Langers-Blog-Time-for-reflection/23454

Test cricket is not easy. Just like life, sport is cyclical. For a long time, we were spoilt by the remarkable performances of a group of supremely talented and battle hardened Test players who allowed us to rejoice in the success of our on field feats. In terms of cycles, this success lasted for a phenomenally long time and interestingly, even during that time, the critics were still crying poor.

Then, it was about the lack of competition around the world and the perception that such greatness was boring to watch because of the dominance of the team.
This was a de-motivator for the players, because as a sportsmen we are programmed to win. During that time we lost two series; apparently the best series ever played (India in 2001, England 2005) and yet we had lost them. Go figure.

and...

Then there is the ruthless criticism off youngsters Phil Hughes and Steve Smith. Some of the things I have read and heard about them are shameful.
In this society, we want everything to happen right this minute but can I give you a little reminder. It took Steve Waugh 27 Test matches to score his first century for Australia and he finished as one of our all time greats. Ian Chappell and Bob Simpson were similar in that it took them a long time to perform in Test cricket, while Matty Hayden, Damien Martyn and Ricky Ponting took time to be consistent performers at the highest level. There are few who have dominated Test cricket for day one and that is because it is a tough school; a very tough school. The point is that these kids have just started their journey as Test cricketers and they need time to work it out. Take it from me their journey is not an easy one.

It took me five years to score my first Test hundred and when I did I wrote the inscription, 'what a relief', on the bat, which now hangs on one of the walls of my house. In my opinion Hughes, Smith and Khawaja will be good players in the future, if they are given a chance to learn the game. They will need to weather this initial storm of criticism, but that will make them tougher and ultimately better. They also need the opportunity to play with the likes of Ponting, Clarke and Hussey, because that is who they will learn their greatest lessons from. As they improve so will the fortunes of Australian cricket.

Sometimes in life, or in cricket, you also come up against an opponent who plays or performs better than you do. There is no disgrace in that. England have played well this series, especially in Adelaide and Melbourne and great credit must go to them for the way they have gone about their business. They have a very experienced team who look well drilled and up for every challenge. It wasn't that long ago that everyone else was watching and learning from the way we went about our business. In defeat, we can learn from the way England fought back in the first Test and then won Tests two and four.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Watson looks lacklustre. Hughes is building, but he looked good in the last Test before being run out.

Boy, that Tremlett is a top bowler. The commentators were spot on when discussing him earlier today- a big guy, but strong and young with a great attitude. And a cheap bowler too, averaging about 19.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Terrible shot by Hughes to get out on the stroke of lunch, after batting pretty well to see off the new ball. But jeez Khawaja has looked good early, very technically correct. Watson just starting to get moving as well.

It looks like Haddin will bat at 6 as well, which is a good move. His innings in the second dig in Melbourne was a cracker, he is starting to look more and more like Gilchrist, except with a more correct technique.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I wonder if we'll see Ricky come back and bat at 4 or 5 and Pup stay as captain? Way too early to say of course, but I can think of a couple of blokes who did it successfully. I think Punter still has a bit to offer as a batsman, but preferably not at 3 and not as captain. It's not like there are a bunch of other blokes playing well enough to be selected ahead of him.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Too right.

Watson has what I think is a pretty serious flaw in his technique: he comes forward way too often, regardless of length. We've seen him get out a few times this series from not getting across or playing around his front pad. If he's going to be a quality top order player I think he needs to develop more of a back foot game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Once again we have collapsed and require Hussey and Haddin to pull us out of the mire. Our batsmen have not been aggressive enough. The English are bowling well but not outstandingly and we have not taken the game to them at all. As a result they have taken four wickets and we have scored hardly anything. Khawaja played well but really needed to go on. I was annoyed that he got a standing ovation, because if it was Clarke or Watson they would have been given a bollocking for playing such a bad shot. Just because he is a debutant doesn't mean he shouldn't be held to the same standards as the other batsmen. He should have done better.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agreed that he should have gone on, but disagree about the shot selection from the batsmen. It looks to be fairly tough to bat out there and a time not to be hitting too much in the air. Way too many times in this series have we seen our blokes get out caught square of the wicket. That's good bowling, but not very bright batting.

I like what I've seen from Khawaja so far though. One for the future.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Magnificent caqptain's knock from Clarke once again, following on from the one in Melbourne needed to save the test. Those calling for his elevation to the captaincy should remember that a batting captain needs to be able to pull a big knock out of the air when it's desperately needed.

Also, on another topic does anyone know what Ed Cowan's average is in this year's Sheffield Shield as I've heard he is averaging 80 but have not heard any commentators putting his name forward for selection.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
All out for 280. Thankfully, the tail wagged. Has to be embarassing that Mitchell Johnson top scored with 53. He's putting the official all rounders in Haddin & Steve Smith to shame. Let's see if the press waxes lyrical about Ben Hilfenhaus' 34 the way they have Usman Khawaja's 37.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The English openers are out to make the Aussies pay. Strauss is already on 23...

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
The weather may go against a result for this test, but regardless, I think 280 is not enough for Australia to win this test. Around 350 would have been needed to put pressure on the visitors.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Obviously I have been misinformed on Cowan, thanks BH. Agree that Marsh should be in, unfortunately the selectors seem to have a weight limit so Cosgrove won't get a look in.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
My apologies if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but it seems as though Aussie cricket crowds need a fire-up just as much as their rugby counterparts. Granted, I'm watching the series from the UK, so I may have misjudged the vibe, but fuck me the Barmy Army look like they're outdoing us on every bloody level. You might say that this is because they're finally winning, but English fans were just as loud and proud when they were getting pasted for the better part of two decades. What is wrong with Australian supporters? The last test match I went to was day 5 of the Sydney test against Pakistan last year and the Pakistani supporters again completely outdid us in passion and support for their team.

I don't like to give the poms credit for much, but since moving here my eyes have been opened to just how fickle Australian sports fans are. Even a crappy division 2 football side hurtling straight towards the relegation zone has a strong fan base who know all the songs, wear their teams colours and get involved. I know there's been a lot of talk lately about Aussie crowds, so my apologies if I've trod over old ground, I just can't help but think that this is a wider malaise in Australian sports. We're hardly a shy and retiring people and we clearly love sport, so why have we turned into a nation of fair-weather fans who are too afraid to really get behind their team?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Jase, we've had excellent crowds at all the tests so far, so I hardly think we're being fickle. Both days I was at the WACA, we had practically full houses and plenty of noise from both sets of fans. Our crowds are different from the UK in many ways, especially UK football supporters. We don't have that promotion/relegation setup like they do, for a start. For a lot of people in small town England, their football team is their life. Not quite the same in OZ.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Jason, the Barmy Army outdo everyone. They are well organised plus they have good material. We don't stand a chance up against them, nor do most of the Aus supporters try and compete with them. Frankly, the sporadic responses to the Barmy Army from the Aus crowds have been embaressing. Nevertheless, the Aus crowds have been good - days 1 to 4 of the SCG test have been sold out for example.

As for the cricket - it was an interesting two days out at the SCG. The poms have been on top for the whole game so far except for two short spells yesterday and we will need 3 or more wickets in the extended session this morning to stay in the game.

Kahwaja was terrific on Day 1. He, Hughes and Watson all batted well in difficult conditions against a good attack, espeically given the slow outfield on day 1 didn't give value for shots. Its a pity that all 3 gave away their wickets too easily after fighting so hard for so long as we needed atleast one of these three to go one and make a ton.

I have to say that the Poms are an impressive team. Strauss leads them very well (other than when he decided to gift runs to out tailenders) and they appear to be a very tight knit group.

Status
Not open for further replies.