• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Probably time to start this thread with the First Test starting next week. We have named a 17-man squad:

Ponting, Clarke, Bollinger, Doherty, Ferguson, Haddin, Harris, Hauritz, Hussey, Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Katich, Khawaja, North, Siddle, Smith, Watson.

Which I think is sensible because it really gives a kick along to the guys playing for Australia A this week (Ferguson, Doherty, Khawaja, Smith), even if the selectors are probably never going to pick them.

As for the series itself, I think England could really give it a shake. They are settled, their bowling stocks look very healthy and they bat down to 9. The first test will be crucial- if we win it will resotre vital self-confidence and the nagging doubts about English cricket will resurface. If we lose then England are jubilant whilst we go back to the drawing board and probably overhaul our side.

I will say Australia will take it 3-1. Could easily be the other way though.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I might put a sneaky $5 on the Poms after that squad announcement. I don't think it will instill any fear into England at all and agree they could keep the urn.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's an entirely sensible squad from the selectors. It leaves their options open with the quicks coming back from injury and the batsmen who are on the verge of selection like Ferguson and Khawaja have a chance to make some more runs and put pressure on the incumbents. With the Aus A and shield games this week, I'm hoping that a few of the guys in the squad can step up and demand selection.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I tip the Poms to win 2-1 or to retain at 2-2.

We are in a bit of a crisis at the moment - Factions within the team, too many players out of form but saving their skin by the odd reasonable performance. Our problems have been building upfor a while now. Oh, I would have included (Ronald) McDonald in the extended squad. He is in form with bat and is good in the field. He also has the nagging habit of never going for many runs and getting through his overs quickly when bowling.

Ham

Sydney Middleton (9)
No Phil Hughes? I'm wasn't happy with the way he was treated by the selectors when he was dropped originally and now he isn't even in the squad. That's harsh.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would pick:

1 Katich
2 Hussey
3 Watson
4 Ponting
5 Clarke
6 Khawaja
7 Haddin
8 Johnson
9 Hilfenhaus
10 Harris
11 Bollinger

Neither spinner is up to it. Doherty is by far our best ODI spinner, but his first class stats are poor. Averages 48

I'd prefer to rely on Clarke and Katich, but both have dud backs.

Hussey to open, so Watson can move down the order. Hopefully Huss get's his act together otherwise Hughes must come in

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ham Hughes was dropped due to poor state form. Hasn't had a big score in ages.

That is a good side Reg. I would have Ferguson before Khawaja though, prefer someone who is proven at the International level.

In all the talk of players out of form, the one who has slipped under the radar a bit is Johnson. Well out of sorts for ages now, needs a very good first test to hold on to his spot, especially with Siddle and Harris coming back from injury.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'd prefer Hughes to Hussey, otherwise Noddy's team looks pretty good. I'm tired of our batsmen getting out shortly after posting a hundred, time for someone to make a big double.

Nice of them to name a 17 man squad, while purely academic it puts Brad Hodge back in his box.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm happy that they reach 100. Doesn't happen much these days.

The only way we are going to win this series is for Ponting and Clarke to lead from the front, and make some big scores. No getting in and then holing out for 30-60.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Scotty, that is a big part of the problem. Punter is good for about 40-70 and gets out these days. You need your no. 3 to be doing more than that. As I've said before, his endurance and concentration are not what that used to be, which is no what you want from a top order player. Clarke's form is a worry, but I think he'll come good if his back is OK.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If Australia win 5-0 that will go some of the way to restoring some sporting pride in the face of the weekends' performance. God i hate losing to England.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scotty, that is a big part of the problem. Punter is good for about 40-70 and gets out these days. You need your no. 3 to be doing more than that. As I've said before, his endurance and concentration are not what that used to be, which is no what you want from a top order player. Clarke's form is a worry, but I think he'll come good if his back is OK.

Yeah, I reckon England should be favourites. I have a bad feeling about this series.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
England, Wales, Ireland and South Africa have put up a pretty handy team for this Ashes. Our collapsing middle order, underdone bowlers and shithouse spinner will struggle

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You'd certainly have to say on form England are pretty strong favourites. The big question will be their pace attack and our middle order. Whoever wins that battle wins the series.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Their quicks will be key. As good as Swann's form has been, an off spinner never will win a series on our pitches. Well, certainly not one that I've ever seen, and there have been a few decent ones.

But then, I reckon off-spin bowling is a bit half arsed. Real men bowl leggies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Moses agreed on leg spin being the one true spin bowling art and Murali being a chucker.

The England attack looks on paper better than 2006/7 and they will be a handful. Then again, our quicks are coming together nicely too and we now have some selection dilemmas (good ones). I'm a huge fan of Hilfenhaus, he must play. Bollinger too. I was a doubter of big Dougie, but he's got the right amount of aggression and good length to do some damage. That leaves the third quick: Johnson or Siddle. That's a 50/50 call, but I'd go with Johnson if his radar is working. He sprayed it around in 1st grade here on the weekend, but also bowled some real heat that the Claremont-Nedlands boys were saying was very difficult to face. Siddle is one of those guys who bowls a heavy ball and is as quick at 5:30 as he is at 11:30, but I don't think he offers enough variety or movement. Good batsmen will always find a way to score off him.

The batting is a whole other matter and something I've been saying for over a year now has to be dealt with. Our openers are fine, much as I'd prefer Watson to be playing down the order. Ponting and Clarke I've already spoken about. Huss and North worry me and it pains me to say it as a West Aussie, but the boys need to make some runs early or we are done for. If the Poms get a sniff in the first couple of tests, it will be very difficult. One of them has to go I'm afraid and I think it should be Huss. Ferguson or Khawaja should play, preferably Khawaja. Bat one of them at six and push North up to 5.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't count any wickets which the mother chucker took from no balls. He can keep the run outs, but they go to the team anyway.

He did get a lot of legitimate wickets, but I agree - minus the no balls and the 500 or so wickets he got from seemingly playing Bangladesh and Pakistan every two weeks and he wouldn't have as many as Warne.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The batting is a whole other matter and something I've been saying for over a year now has to be dealt with. Our openers are fine, much as I'd prefer Watson to be playing down the order. Ponting and Clarke...

The two senior batsmen really are the major problem at the moment. Hussey and North's fragility looks like being addressed and we seem to have serviceable opening pair in Katich and Watson, although I sincerely hope Katich isn't picked if he's unfit. But what to do with Punter and Pup? Neither look like they're handling their current circumstances very well. Punting's failing eyesight and/or reflexes SHOULD lead him to moving gently down the order in his remaining years in the baggy green; I could conceivably see him batting at 5 in the test when he announces his retirement. But Clarke? He's had a bad back for yonks, why hasn't he learnt how to manage it? For a batsman of his ability he should be looking to bat at first drop for the next five years as he accepts the responsibility of taking charge of this team. For me Watson should open or bat 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.