• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well if Roy was still coaching when you saw that there was an obvious reason for his interest in international RU: Michael O'Connor - whom he lured to St George where he was coaching.
Together with all those other union internationals that league poached - it was a ready made talent combine, with some notable failures it has to be said - Tony D'arcy and Gareth Morgan spring to mind.
I agree with the wisdom of getting reports from qualified people: I'm afraid Allaway's connections to the establishment in our game do not begin and end with Sydney Uni.
In a sense this link sums up the narrowness of the views that influence Rugby in Australia: spot the WASP, spot the Chairman and spot the CEO, spot the Independent Report writer:
http://www.shoreoldboys..au/obu-news-events/2012-events/2012-sydney-sports-day
Okay IS,which of these golfers do you predict will be our new 7's coach?
Or do they only take management positions where results aren't so black and white?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Okay IS,which of these golfers do you predict will be our new 7's coach?
Or do they only take management positions where results aren't so black and white?
There's no long term future in coaching for the very reason you mention.
Mind you there's some short term attraction with Rio

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Qantas has decided not to extend its sponsorship of the Socceroos which is reportedly worth around $4 million annually.

Not a good omen for the Wallabies.

Not necessarily. Maybe the Socceroos have a richer sponsor in the wings, the World Cup and all that.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Not necessarily. Maybe the Socceroos have a richer sponsor in the wings, the World Cup and all that.

I hope you're right. With the current financial position and industry business conditions facing Qantas, forking out big $$$ for sponsorship may not be a priority.

I'd like to think the Wallabies sponsorship is possibly more valuable to Qantas as the team plays more often and in Australia regularly against the top rugby sides.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's the worrying bit.
This is not news,Soccer Oz have been on the hunt for a new sponsor for about a year,and to date have come up empty.
As you say,it's the World Cup in 3 months!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope you're right. With the current financial position and industry business conditions facing Qantas, forking out big $$$ for sponsorship may not be a priority.

I'd like to think the Wallabies sponsorship is possibly more valuable to Qantas as the team plays more often and in Australia regularly against the top rugby sides.

I would be extremely surprised if Qantas cuts back on its marketing budget. The last thing they can afford to do, frankly. Plenty of marketing case studies about the importance of spending dollars on advertising and other forms of promotion during tough times.

Plus, whatever faults and failings rugby in general, and the Wobbs in particular, have, the game does own a demographic that travels at the pointy end a fair bit, and that is where the money is for airlines.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would be extremely surprised if Qantas cuts back on its marketing budget. The last thing they can afford to do, frankly. Plenty of marketing case studies about the importance of spending dollars on advertising and other forms of promotion during tough times.

Plus, whatever faults and failings rugby in general, and the Wobbs in particular, have, the game does own a demographic that travels at the pointy end a fair bit, and that is where the money is for airlines.

The money for airlines is in the cargo hold.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Another couple of points in favour of Qantas retaining the sponsorship: the Wallabies play against in regions where Qantas is either strong, or wants to be strong. Plus the Wallabies are a top ranked team, and of course the Sevens brand is important as well.

All in all, I am pretty confident that, whilever there is a Qantas, and whilever there is a Wallabies team, the two will be in some kind of corporate partnership.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A little snippet of gossip in the Rebecca Wilson column was that ARU laid off 17 people last week.

Wonder what parts of the organisation were trimmed? Were they all "minions" or did some Managers get re-organised out onto the street?

T

TOCC

They might have another sponsor lined up but it won't be because of the World Cup, teams don't wear sponsors at the World Cup..

The value of a sponsorship drops in a World Cup year due to less exposure, companies like QANTAS need to launch their own marketing campaign to leverage their existing "official" sponsorship with the team..

T

TOCC

As for QANTAS and the Wallabies, well their are rumours of QANTAS refocusing their marketing efforts though product placement segments like with Oprah in 2010, Ellen in 2013 and the recent Modern Family episode which have all seen spikes in tourism figures as a result.

Rugby Union does maintain that private school bloodline which appeals to QANTAS and premium products like Business Class and corporate agreements, which may bode well for the ARU to retain the sponsorship.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A little snippet of gossip in the Rebecca Wilson column was that ARU laid off 17 people last week.

Wonder what parts of the organisation were trimmed? Were they all "minions" or did some Managers get re-organised out onto the street?

Wow. Can't locate the article, can you post a link?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When is the Season 2013 Financial Statement and Annual Report due to be published?

Must be soon.

Still no 2013 Annual Report on the ARU web site.

Must be real bad news.

Like the shiraz in the boardroom cellar, perhaps it has been laid to rest for a year or two in the hope it will get better with age.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Still no 2013 Annual Report on the ARU web site.

Must be real bad news.

Like the shiraz in the boardroom cellar, perhaps it has been laid to rest for a year or two in the hope it will get better with age.

Aren't they legally obliged to publish one?

Status
Not open for further replies.