• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What were Beale and JOC (James O'Connor)'s salaries in Melbourne? The ARU must've paid for most of it.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Still no 2013 Annual Report on the ARU web site.

Must be real bad news.

Like the shiraz in the boardroom cellar, perhaps it has been laid to rest for a year or two in the hope it will get better with age.

Laying down and avoiding?

T

TOCC

jy2ajaze.jpg

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They quote"ordinary business"
There are always extraordinary items.
Fx for example is always listed separately,often for larger amounts than $2M.

T

TOCC

I support the Rebels and Super Rugby expansion, but the $5.5million provided in support to the Rebels is highly concerning...

T

Train Without a Station

TOCC do you think having the Melbourne market adds close to $5.5million to the tv deal annually? If so it's surely a good price for the benefit of expansion

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
it calls the Rebels payment a "long term loan". Was the same loan made in 2014?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's certainly a much better position than 12 months ago which was essential given that it was a BIL Tour year.

The challenge for the ARU is to make sure the cash in the bank lasts a long while and it is spent on things that advance the game in the long run. Clearly the NRC is a big part of that and it will be important that it succeeds. Given that there are no big money spinners on the horizon, the ARU needs to be living within its means very soon.

The next two years should provide interesting financial results as we will see the effect of cost cutting within the ARU in terms of staff salaries and Wallaby contracts.

The whole Rebels thing shouldn't be much of a concern at this stage but it will be important how that progresses in the next couple of years. If the ARU has to keep providing funding then it will be a worry. If that initial $5.5m loan lasts a long time and the Rebels can get on a more sustainable financial footing it will be good news for Australian Rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's certainly a much better position than 12 months ago which was essential given that it was a BIL Tour year.

The challenge for the ARU is to make sure the cash in the bank lasts a long while and it is spent on things that advance the game in the long run. Clearly the NRC is a big part of that and it will be important that it succeeds. Given that there are no big money spinners on the horizon, the ARU needs to be living within its means very soon.

The next two years should provide interesting financial results as we will see the effect of cost cutting within the ARU in terms of staff salaries and Wallaby contracts.

The whole Rebels thing shouldn't be much of a concern at this stage but it will be important how that progresses in the next couple of years. If the ARU has to keep providing funding then it will be a worry. If that initial $5.5m loan lasts a long time and the Rebels can get on a more sustainable financial footing it will be good news for Australian Rugby.

So can I interpret that as "cautious optimism"?

T

Train Without a Station

Pulver has worked on making the ARU sustainable on what they earn.

The Lions Tour profit provides contingency.

Any increase in TV Rights - which is highly likely (the level of which is the uncertainty) - will allow for growth, investment, consolidation.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
I hope the ARU is back on track and sustainable I would hate for the current tax on my 7 * Under 6s (Currently at $30 per player or $200 per team) to increase any further if it was unsustainable. Before this my club used to be able to offer registration @ $50 which included team photo, socks and shorts). The $30 per player fee represented an increase of 50% increase in registration, I would certainly hope they do not double this, another 50% increase in rego fees may have a huge impact on numbers.

T

TOCC

TOCC do you think having the Melbourne market adds close to $5.5million to the tv deal annually? If so it's surely a good price for the benefit of expansion

I don't know the details of the $5.5million 'loan', but I thought the ARU already provides $4million to each province annually as part of the broadcast allocation..

Using your example wouldn't that mean Melbourne would need to add $9.5million to the broadcast rights annually... I believe the current super rugby rights are only worth $20million/annum to Foxtel.

Like I said, I support Melbourne and Super Rugby expansion, but the size of the assistance is concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.