• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Climate Change Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
M I would hasten to remind you that Global Warming researchers are extensively funded by governments. To an extent that towers over the funding for any scientists trying to find the real truth about the changes to our climate.

Except that that this statement has absolutely no basis in reality, except inside the warped minds of nutjobs like Andrew Bolt..........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who is going to fund scientific research apart from taxpayers?

Apart from philanthropic donations to various research institutes, the overwhelming majority of scientific research that doesn't have clear financial benefits will always be funded by taxpayers.

Groups such as The Global Warming Policy Foundation are funded by people with a stated aim of avoiding taking any action on climate change yet you're trying to argue that they're somehow less biased?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Groups such as The Global Warming Policy Foundation are funded by people with a stated aim of avoiding taking any action on climate change yet you're trying to argue that they're somehow less biased?
No, I am not trying to say they are less biased. My point is that they exist with a stated aim, as you say, and their research tries to find evidence that supports their thesis. Transparent.
Government grants often go to Unis etc who don't state their pro-warming bias but who should be unbiased. Not transparent.
I would imagine it is a lot easier to gain funding for a proposal which supports the AGW agenda than one which sets out to disprove it.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Mark Steyn is one of the bloggers you refer to but it is not his personal beliefs that he uses to oppose AGW. He shows that many reputable scientists have contrary views, and he lists them extensively here: http://www.steynonline.com/6455/allegheny-front-group
That is a long list of reputable scientists who cast extreme doubt on the theory of AGW.
On your point of "well funded lobby groups", I would hasten to remind you that Global Warming researchers are extensively funded by governments. To an extent that towers over the funding for any scientists trying to find the real truth about the changes to our climate.

1. No, that is a long list of academics disputing the work of one scientist, Michael Mann, not disputing the entirety of the work on climate change.

2. So every government, at all times in the modern era, has had exactly the same intent of proving man made climate change when funding research? Presumably this is coordinated by the Illuminati.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Quantifying the consensus on AGW in the (peer-reviewed) scientific literature:-

“97.1% endorsed the … position that humans are causing global warming”

The 97.1% must be members of a "cult-like group":eek:

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Just finished watching a pretty bloody interesting 4 corners on renewable energy.

Anyone else catch it?

Yep, the argument of the third industrial revolution is here and reneweble technology will be dominant world wide in 10 to 20 years no matter what the Oz Gov tries to do puts things in perspective.

We gots to get out of coal and join the rest of the world.

I want my kids to live in an Australia that has a Hi Tech economy. There is a much bigger future in them building robots than digging up coal.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Bloggers, Lord Monkton, etc., not really, I tend to respect, and endorse the writings and research of John L Casey, former White House space program advisor, consultant to NASAR Headquarters, and space shuttle engineer. He is one of America's most successful climate change researchers and climate prediction experts.
Mr Casey is best known as the leading advocate in the US for a national and international plan to prepare for the next climate change, which he has predicted to be one of a dangerous cold climate era!
Mr Casey (who I have communicated with on a personal level), is the author of the internationally acclaimed climate book, "Cold Sun". He is president of the Space and Science Research Corporation, in Orlando, Florida.
Mr Casey was named "America's best climate prediction expert", and he is the founder of the Global Cooling Awareness Project, an international program to create a list of scientists who believe naturally produced global warming has ended and a new cold climate epoch has begun, because of a regular, repeating, natural cycle of the sun.

His research has shown that cold climate events occur every 206 years.
His book describes the rationale for understanding why global warming has ended and the effects of a new cold climate era.
Mr Casey is also well know for his ability to provide advanced warnings of dangerous earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions (IEVPC).
John Casey has also been an Army computer and missiles officer, high tech and commercial space company executive, chairman of the humanitarian organization providing aid to women and children in Iraq and Afghanistan, and founder of an environmental organisation performing waterway monitoring and clean up in Florida.
John Casey holds a B.S. in Physics and Mathematics, and an M.A. in Management.

Boyo, I'm more than happy for you to call Braveheart81 "Dear Leader"!

Given your out-dated thinking, I'm sure you expect John Eales to win us the 2014 Bledisloe Cup, or maybe Timmy Horan will score the winning try!!

Who sang that song, "But that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone"?

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Bloggers, Lord Monkton, etc., not really, I tend to respect, and endorse the writings and research of John L Casey, former White House space program advisor, consultant to NASAR Headquarters, and space shuttle engineer. He is one of America's most successful climate change researchers and climate prediction experts.
Mr Casey is best known as the leading advocate in the US for a national and international plan to prepare for the next climate change, which he has predicted to be one of a dangerous cold climate era!
Mr Casey (who I have communicated with on a personal level), is the author of the internationally acclaimed climate book, "Cold Sun". He is president of the Space and Science Research Corporation, in Orlando, Florida.
Mr Casey was named "America's best climate prediction expert", and he is the founder of the Global Cooling Awareness Project, an international program to create a list of scientists who believe naturally produced global warming has ended and a new cold climate epoch has begun, because of a regular, repeating, natural cycle of the sun.

His research has shown that cold climate events occur every 206 years.
His book describes the rationale for understanding why global warming has ended and the effects of a new cold climate era.
Mr Casey is also well know for his ability to provide advanced warnings of dangerous earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions (IEVPC).
John Casey has also been an Army computer and missiles officer, high tech and commercial space company executive, chairman of the humanitarian organization providing aid to women and children in Iraq and Afghanistan, and founder of an environmental organisation performing waterway monitoring and clean up in Florida.
John Casey holds a B.S. in Physics and Mathematics, and an M.A. in Management.

Boyo, I'm more than happy for you to call Braveheart81 "Dear Leader"!

Given your out-dated thinking, I'm sure you expect John Eales to win us the 2014 Bledisloe Cup, or maybe Timmy Horan will score the winning try!!

Who sang that song, "But that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone"?

John Casey holds a bachelors degree in physics and a masters in management. Neither gives me any confidence in his qualification to opine on climate change. His bio is exceedingly brief as to his actual experience in climate science.

More critically he claims his paper is "peer reviewed" bug it has not been published in any recognised journal and this claim is false. Further, he self promotion such as "named "America's best climate prediction expert," by at least one source in 2013" is remarkably thin and rings hollow.

His theory is that changes in solar cycle, these are well documented, lead to periods of global cooling. However there is plenty of evidence that global warming is not the result of the sun: http://www.skepticalscience.com/solar-activity-sunspots-global-warming.htm. Even assuming that his theory is true, and I would need to be convinced by a properly peer reviewed paper and not a self published, self proclaimed paper, he provides no evidence that his cycles are not short term fluctuations on a longer term upward trend.

I suggest you look up the Maunder Minimum and read the Little Ice Age by Brian Fagan (published 2001) and you will appreciate that theory that the sun influences climate is neither new nor startling but it does not disprove anthropometric global warming in any way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quantifying the consensus on AGW in the (peer-reviewed) scientific literature:-

“97.1% endorsed the … position that humans are causing global warming”

The 97.1% must be members of a "cult-like group":eek:

There are significant flaws in this "consensus" argument. Accusations of data rigging by Cook (whose study claimed the 97% consensus) have been laid by eminent researchers. To blindly accept this possibly fraudulent figure is not clever science, nor prudent politics.
To further progress the "cult" analogy, one could look closely at Cook's Warming agenda, his global warming activism, and the way he orchestrated a marketing campaign about the so-called consensus before the study was completed. Certainly strong evidence of cult building in Cook's resume.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. No, that is a long list of academics disputing the work of one scientist, Michael Mann, not disputing the entirety of the work on climate change

No, just disputing the work of the scientist whose Hockey Stick theory has convinced most politicians and many non-scientists that Global Warming is man-made. That theory has been dropped quietly by the IPCC but its effect still lingers.
I applaud your acceptance that there is a "long list of academics disputing the work of one scientist, Michael Mann". Ergo, "consensus" is a flawed concept.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Australia risks becoming a fuel fossil
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/australia-risks-becoming-a-fuel-fossil-20140708-zszsx.html

"Sometimes I fear Australia has decided to go backwards just as the rest of the world has decided to go forwards. Take climate change. If the repeal of the carbon tax gets through the Senate this week there will probably be celebrations in the boardrooms of all the business groups that lobbied so hard for its removal.

But if they imagine the lifting of this supposedly great burden on them and the economy will mean it’s back to business as usual, they’ll soon find out differently.

They may have rolled back the economic cost of doing something about climate change, but now they’ll face the increasing cost of not doing something about it. As Martijn Wilder, an environmental lawyer with the Baker & McKenzie law firm, finds in a new report for the Committee for the Economic Development of Australia, we’re going to be hit from all sides."

"Wilder says renewables are now reaching a "point of disruption" and will displace coal and gas power stations in many parts of the world. In Australia, the sharply rising price of gas is increasing the cost-competitiveness of renewables.

"Unlike natural gas and coal, the input for renewable energy is not subject to the volatility of global energy markets and with renewable costs continuing to decline, renewable generation represents a safer long-term investment," he says.

I know, let’s get the government to put the kybosh on renewables. That would be a smart move."

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Fact check: Tony Abbott's claim carbon schemes being discarded doesn't check out

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-...s-trading-around-the-world-fact-check/5559430

"The verdict

While there is uncertainty in the international carbon pricing market and global agreements are weak and non-binding, individual nations and sub-national regions are increasingly creating carbon trading schemes of their own.

Mr Abbott's claim that "trading schemes are being discarded not adopted" doesn't check out."

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They challenge for Aus is that we don't need any new power stations, we have more supply than demand at the moment.

So what do we do?
Scrap current power stations before their use by date? Who pays for that? I bet when they were privatised there were guarantees embedded in the deal.
Or do we invest in carbon cleaning technologies to make them less "horrible"

Dunno the answer

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
BPC, you're probably right, when you infer that John Casey is not qualified to comment on such complex issues.
Ditto for Ben Chifley, (you would probably describe him as: "a mere train driver")!

Crikey, aren't we lucky that he didn't ever become Prime Minister of Australia!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
BPC, you're probably right, when you infer that John Casey is not qualified to comment on such complex issues.
Ditto for Ben Chifley, (you would probably describe him as: "a mere train driver")!

Crikey, aren't we lucky that he didn't ever become Prime Minister of Australia!

Wow, just wow. We are all entitled to our opinions but unless somebody has qualifications or extensive proven experience in a particular field, claiming them to be an authority is just not right.

Chifley like any other PM or member of an executive has access to authoritive advice, not claiming to be the authoritive advice. Frankly the parallel you are drawing is just crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.