• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Fallout from RWC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Depends. I think we might do it. Hardie, Cowan, Strauss and Denton are our best 4 backrowers easy, and Cowan/Hardie/Denton worked better against you guys than Strauss/Hardie/Denton did against the Bokke, despite my man love for the bearded Cape Town Weegee.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCaw has not definitely retired, although most expect him to; apparently the NZRU has left the door open for him if he wants.
Savea will be in the 7s program so unlikely to be a big part of Tests next year, although might come in after Rio.
Plus, I reckon you'd be happy with Cane, Kaino and Read as a combo - it works pretty well for them.
So not highly likely.

He's not in the Crusaders squad so I'd say he's definitely retiring, just doesn't want to announce it now & have it distract attention/ focus from the job at hand.

Can't see Savea going to Rio then coming straight into the AB setup, but can definitely see him (& Ioane, also possibly Taufua esp if Kaino heads offshore again) being in the mix when the B&IL tour in 2017.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He's not in the Crusaders squad so I'd say he's definitely retiring, just doesn't want to announce it now & have it distract attention/ focus from the job at hand.

Can't see Savea going to Rio then coming straight into the AB setup, but can definitely see him (& Ioane, also possibly Taufua esp if Kaino heads offshore again) being in the mix when the B&IL tour in 2017.

I agree he'll likely retire, but I read somewhere the door is well and truly open, if.........
The really annoying thing with NZ rugby is that when McCaw, Kaino go then Cane, Savea, Ioane, Taufua etc are all there waiting. Not to mention others.
2017 B&IL Tour could be a cracker!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No Hansen is too much of a pussy.

So funny to think that it was a risk by Cheika to do it. Now in my mind I can't consider anything else and to think that the Pooper mightn't have worked is laughable. Long may it continue.

Also on this topic of Richie leaving, who is the heir to the captaincy?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ Read unless his form continues to tail off, in which case Cane. But they'll give Read most of 2016 to get his shit together again.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hell Read definitely, I thought he was immense today, his so called tail off in form is not as bad as some say!
I don't think anyone doubted his overall form, he just had a period this RWC where he had a case of the droppsies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I ran out of beer at half time and have been putting a few tokays away. Have to say it's a fine early morning beverage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hell Read definitely, I thought he was immense today, his so called tail off in form is not as bad as some say!

The fact the Wobbs targeted him - as Cheika's bitch about the photo now confirms - suggests any drop in form might have been a drop in productivity, rather than form, caused by teams focussing on him. Easily done as Pocock's lack of usual imapct in the final shows

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Hands let him down a coupla times, as they have fairly often this year. Still our best 8 since Zinzan but not the dominant player he was say two years ago & the tail-off seems (IMO) to coincide with the head knock & prolonged layoff.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ I reckon Sam Cane is the long term Captain in Waiting being groomed by the Lords of Darkness. That will not be fall out from RWC but part of a long term succession plan.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
^^^^ I reckon Sam Cane is the long term Captain in Waiting being groomed by the Lords of Darkness. That will not be fall out from RWC but part of a long term succession plan.

It certainly seems so, but there's a slight flaw in that plan. Namely that Cane might not necessarily even be a guaranteed starter in a few years -- a trait that is normally somewhat desirable in a captain.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It certainly seems so, but there's a slight flaw in that plan. Namely that Cane might not necessarily even be a guaranteed starter in a few years -- a trait that is normally somewhat desirable in a captain.

but if they first make him captain that will snooker his successors - just as it has to a degree with McCaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.