• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Fallout from RWC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Official WR (World Rugby) highlights are out:

Two things I'd like to see as "fallout" from the Cup:

ARU to use the Wobs run to build some hype around the Poms tour next year, then use that series to further redress the damage done circa 2003-11. Won't be easy but needs to be done, world rugby (not to mention World Rugby) needs a strong Australia (just not TOO strong, m'kay? :))

An end to lesser teams copying the SA/ England style of play circa 2007-09, starting with SA & England themselves. Both have shown at U20 level that the talent is there to play a more expansive & expressive game, they just don't have the will to do it at the top level ATM & that needs to change.

I was gonna add the French sorting out their Top 14 v national side issues & someone coming up with some scrum laws we can all follow but thought yeah, nah, that's just too much to ask for :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Will some good "fallout" be an extension of The Pulverisers contract as ARU Supremo?

Despite being on the receiving end of plenty of incoming about the Shore Old Boys Starchamber, I think history will look kindly on his time at the helm of ARU.

Does he actually want an extension or, like all goof P&F Presidents, is it time to move on and let someone else have a go so he can just go back to being a dad on the sidelines enjoying watching his kids play?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Two things I'd like to see as "fallout" from the Cup:

ARU to use the Wobs run to build some hype around the Poms tour next year, then use that series to further redress the damage done circa 2003-11. Won't be easy but needs to be done, world rugby (not to mention World Rugby) needs a strong Australia (just not TOO strong, m'kay? :))

If the ARU had the money for promotion, that would be a great idea.

Of course then the nitpickers in these parts would criticise them for wasting dollars that could otherwise be spent on propping up Western Sydney or expanding into Adelaide.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
Official WR (World Rugby) highlights

An end to lesser teams copying the SA/ England style of play circa 2007-09, starting with SA & England themselves. Both have shown at U20 level that the talent is there to play a more expansive & expressive game, they just don't have the will to do it at the top level ATM & that needs to change.

The issue with England I think is the senior development pathway with a big disconnect between the Blazers and the Clubs who the RFU do not control.
The clubs will never admit any culpability and neither will Hq so which Elite coach will want a go at the England HC gig?
Thus-they end up with Lancaster and his glee club.

An interesting idea here from Simon Halliday which will have the Blazers choking on their G&Ts

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34727588

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
Mutual massive payoff from termination of 6 year contract - Richie should be tied to a tree, covered in honey and left to the ants

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
This on the other hand is I think very much "fallout" in that it wouldn't be happening if Japan hadn't rolled Sethfricka:

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/lapasset-wants-japan-to-join-rugby-championship/

I'd be a whole lot less "yeah, ok, whatever Bernie" if he was also spruiking Georgia for a place in the 6N....

I think it could be good to see the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) played at the same time as the Rugby Championship, with say the top 4 in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) then each playing a match against the 4 RC teams (1v1, 2v2 etc).

Another idea would be to combine them and have a 2 tiered structure of 5 teams each. A top division and 2nd division with a round robin in each, followed by a RC final for the top 2 in Div 1 and a relegation/promotion playoff between the 5th team in Div1 and the top team in Div2.

Maybe one day the teams traditionally in 2nd division would get so competitive that you could even move to just have 2 rotating pools of 5 followed by semi finals and final.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Regional Qualification decided.

6 Automatic Qualifiers, 2 playoffs and a Repechage.

Oceania 1
Oceania 2

Qualify automatically through a home and away tri nations between Fiji, Tonga and Samoa.

Europe 1

Auto-Qualifies as a result of topping the ERC Div 1 (Georgia Excluded)

Africa 1

Auto Qualifies as result of winning African Cup

America 1

Auto Qualifies with a home and away playoff between USA and Canada

America 2

Auto Qualifies through playoff between loser of USA/Canada and winner of regional tourney

2 Playoffs

Playoff 1

Europe 2 v Oceania 3

2nd placed ERC team plays against remaining team from Oceania Tri nations for the 2nd last spot

Playoff 2

Asia 1 v Oceania 4

Winner of regional Asian Qualifiers plays the winners of the Oceania Cup for the 4th Repechage spot

Repechage

Africa 2
America 3
Loser Playoff 1
Winner Playoff 2

Round Robin tournament for final spot at RWC2019

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well I think it's a joke. An Asian world cup without an Asian qualifier, how ridiculous. Japan making the top 12 this year basically made no difference at all.

I'm all for supporting PI rugby, but Oceania shouldn't have 4 chances to qualify for the world cup when Asia has 1, and only through repechage.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Honestly, it's an issue of transparency as much as anything else. Had WR (World Rugby) come out and said, at any point in time before the world cup, the regions have this many auto qualifiers:

Africa 2
Asia 1
Americas 3
Europe 8
Oceania 5

And Repechage spots to be changed based on 1st-3rd place qualification, it wouldn't be an issue.

But to have it done this way reeks of executives having to wear the brown pants when none of the 3 PI teams qualified.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, I think that stinks.............

While yes, the strength of the tournament would be better off by having one of those three PI teams over some other Asian nation, they simply haven't earned the right to all be at 2019.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Especially when you could have still given all 3 PI teams a chance to make it and left a free spot for an Asian qualifier.

Should have been Oceania 1 - automatic qualifier, Oceania 2 - playoff with Europe 2, Oceania 3 - straight to repechage.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The Asian qualifier is playing against Oceania 4 so they're not going against the big 3. Probably end up being HongKong vs Cook Islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.