• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Green and Gold Rugby Book Club

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Since I've had my head in Psychology and Rugby fitness/etc books I havent read much fiction lately but I've read plenty of books from Horror writer Richard Laymon. I have two Irish reads from Tim Pat Coogan "The I.R.A." and "Whenever Green is Worn", interesting historical reads. I've been reading a couple of non-fiction rugby books as well that have been pretty good by Jim Greenwood 'Total Rugby' and 'Think Rugby'. Nice thread to come up with by the way.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The Road was the best book I read last year. Don't bother with the movie, I watched it about a week ago and was fairly disappointed.

Has anyone seen/read any recent good rugby biographies? I've read the John Eales, George Gregan, Larkhams World Cup Diary and Nick Farr Jones books, but that's about it. Any more I should read?

Have you read Rod Macqueen - One Step Ahead? If not it's a good read.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Amazon.co.uk often has books cheaper than you would pay for in Oz even with postage, so it's worth a look in there...

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
That is true about amazon.co.uk. Books are so bloody expensive in Australia.

Does anyone read much from Australian authors? Or books on Australian history, for that matter?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Australian authors are by and large ordinary. The market is so small the publishers restrict themselves to those who appeal to middle-aged middle-class female book club members. And that is straight out of the mouth of a publisher. Australian history is a different matter though.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That is true about amazon.co.uk. Books are so bloody expensive in Australia.

Does anyone read much from Australian authors? Or books on Australian history, for that matter?

Which is why all the bookshops in Australia are closing down. They are bloody expensive though.

There is a great second hand bookshop in Newtown on King Street. I forget what its called, but they have hundreds of thousands of books. Go past the Uni (on your right) and its just near the third set of lights. Opposite is a beautiful vietnamese restaurant (make a night of it!). Make the effort - the books are cheap and usually in pretty good condition.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Do your bit for charities and buy books second hand from their shops...handy when travelling and can leave them where ever you finish reading them.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Australian authors ordinary? Ever since I've lived abroad I've found myself reading more Aussie fiction.
You're not a fan of Tim Winton, Peter Carey or Patrick White?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

I disagree there are no good Australian authors.

Tim Winton is good. I enjoyed Alan Marshall's "I Can Jump Puddles" when I was younger, "The Breaker" by Kit Denton, Ion Idriess wrote some good books, Tom Cole's books are entertaining, David Malouf, Roger McDonald (particularly 1915), Peter Goldsworthy (Maestro is good)...I'm sure there are plenty of others I can't think of at the moment.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Cutter - it's Goulds Bookstore. A Newtown institution.

This year's Miles Franklin list is pretty dodgy, I would admit, but there are plenty of good Australian authors. Many of them, however, are women, and therefore don't get read by men who find stories with female protagonists too weird.

I reckon if you're a bloke from Brisbane, you should read David Malouf. Very evocative of that city, especially Jonno, of course. I love Peter Carey's early stuff, especially Illywacker.

What I'm reading right now: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle; and The Mortdecai Trilogy by Kyril Bonfiglioli ("an undiscivered literary classic"). Mortdecai is the strangest books I've ever read: it's the incongruous combination of P.G. Wodehouse and Raymond Chandler. A very posh crime story, in other words. Recommended.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Australian authors are by and large ordinary. The market is so small the publishers restrict themselves to those who appeal to middle-aged middle-class female book club members. And that is straight out of the mouth of a publisher. Australian history is a different matter though.

What exactly is wrong with being (a) middle-aged (b) middle-class (c) female (d) in a book club? Fiction has always - ALWAYS - been read more by women than men. The fact that the literary canon is filled with men can be much better explained by my comment, above, than the notion that women aren't as good at it.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
What I'm reading right now: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle; and The Mortdecai Trilogy by Kyril Bonfiglioli ("an undiscivered literary classic"). Mortdecai is the strangest books I've ever read: it's the incongruous combination of P.G. Wodehouse and Raymond Chandler. A very posh crime story, in other words. Recommended.

I may try to find Mortdecai as I am a great fan of Chandler. I wish I could have a turn of phrase that can be found in Chandler's material.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
The next book on my list is Lolita. My knowledge of it is currently extremely limited. Being a massive movie buff, I know it was made into a film by Kubrick (though I've never actually seen it) and that's about it.

The plan is to start it when I've finished re-reading (for about the 7th time) my favourite book = Life of Pi.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I love Kubrick's films, but I would never spoil Lolita by watching the movie. Nabokov has just an astonishingly assured voice in that book (and in his 2nd language, which is freakish).

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
There are some good Australian authors but they are few and far between. My point about the demographics of book clubs is that is what publishers target so that anything different, serious literature or not middle of the road doesn't get published. The market is too small to run the risk of going outside the square. They think Tsiolkas's gay writing is challenging when it's just plain boring. They think Australians can't handle anything beyond a Winton.

Illywacker was Carey's best. David Ireland is an underrated Australian author - try the Unknown Industrial Prisoner. Johnno is the only good book Malouf wrote. Goldsworthy is ordinary. Should stick to medicine. Winton a lightweight (but a decent yarn teller) and Tsiolkas garbage (apart from the first two sections of the Jesus Man).

Steve Toltz is a recent Australian author who is entertaining. But there hasn't been a great author since Patrick White, Christina Stead, Henry Handel Richardson or Xavier Herbert. Robert Drewe and Peter Carey come close.

I get more enjoyment from Nabakov (Pnin is also good), Bellow, Amis, McCarthy, Waugh or Richard Ford than Australian authors. There are probably better writers out there who struggle to be published in this country.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think one of the best female protagonists I've ever come across in a book was Clarice Starling in "The Silence of the lambs".

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Spewn - you are obviously well read, but that's quite a strange list. I can't quite see a rhyme or reason to your selections. I mean, Robert Drewe?? Of course, if you set up an Australia vs Rest of the World situation, we're not going to do well. Early Amis is great, but the last several have been unreadable. Partly because of our advantage in speaking English, Australians are very much overrepresented compared to our population on the world literary stage. There are some Canadian greats such as Alice Munro, but we're doing alright.

In terms of quality vs publishing, my opinion (after a fair few years of thinking about it) is that about the same % of authors get published in literary and popular fiction. I mean, for every aspiring Patrick White there's an aspiring Matthew Reilly. And both jobs take skill.

You should read the Booker shortlist one year. It's not all plain sailing. Some popular crap and some deadly bores.

I read Aussie stuff because it's nice to hear stories with local themes, locations, and voice. In some way, they all speak to the question of what it is to be Australian, which is a question I never get tired of.