• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Haka

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

all black rugby

probably scarfman...probably! me an all black? goodness me....

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Like most articles written purely to rile people, it is based on the writers view of fact - regardless of how wrong that fact is.

NZ has too much invested in rugby? Potentially, although to say we have nothing else aprt from rugby as a nation is factually incorrect
96% of the world doesn't care about rugby? 3rd biggest sport event on planet is the RWC... that's enough for me...He or she is probably a league of afl fan.. and in reality jealous of our 4%!

Aussies, rightly so, don't really enjoy it when kiwi's get chipppy about things Australian (I am guilty of this). Kiwi's, rightly so, don't really like sanctimonious bullshit written about us from across the ditch.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Going on a world population of almost 7 billion people. 4% caring about rugby is still 280 million people.

That's a lot of rugby fans!

94% of people who have ever read one of Paul Sheehan's columns think he is one of the worst journalists on the planet.

See. I can make up statistics too.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Was it just me or did he not actually even make a coherent argument in that article? What a fool.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not sure about his rugby writing skills, but Sheehan makes a reference to my favourite sportswoman whom I have been following avidly since she was 17 and winning Australian underage championships for her team, I bought tickets to the Sydney 2000 Olympic final in women's basketball a year in advance knowing she would put Australia there...

Good on Lauren Jackson for embracing a cause which is a huge blight in our society.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure about his rugby writing skills, but Sheehan makes a reference to my favourite sportswoman whom I have been following avidly since she was 17 and winning Australian underage championships for her team, I bought tickets to the Sydney 2000 Olympic final in women's basketball a year in advance knowing she would put Australia there...

Good on Lauren Jackson for embracing a cause which is a huge blight in our society.

Tell you what, his writing skills as a whole are crap, the plural of Maori is Maori, not Maoris!!!

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
That one's gotta go viral! :lmao:

scarfie,

The funny thing is that Aus has choked at at least the same amount of world cups as NZ.

'87 favourites, 95 defending chanps and favourites, 03 defending champs and home ground advantage and even paid the ref for scrum penalties. 07 lost against the worst english team in living memory and now 11 Tri nations champs and man shamed the AB's inm their last match. couldnt even beat Ireland to go into the easy part of the draw, couldnt beat NZ with their 3rd flyhalf

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
He was quoting Captain Cook there I believe Dan.

I think some of his points had resonance. If the Kiwis lose there will be an immense impact on NZ.

If you took the pommy angst at not having won a world cup since 1966, multiplied it, condensed it into a month, you'd maybe have some sense of the scope.

Add then, the one thing they reliably beat us at. Had we won it this year...

And finally the point re throat slitting, Cannibalism and Captain Cook. Never seen that quote before. Cannibalism was accepted as a historic fact last century, along with slavery. I think that is also, a fair point - it's a barbaric gesture. Does it belong in sport? No, probably not, it sends an unhealthy message to children, but some non Maoris like Ali Williams (who for all I know could be Maori but definitely looks stupid) , sorry non-Maori making themselves look silly doing a tribal war dance, well have at it guys.

In short his article had some merits.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
He was quoting Captain Cook there I believe Dan.

I think some of his points had resonance. If the Kiwis lose there will be an immense impact on NZ. .

I dunno why people keep banging this drum. We've had oodles of practice of losing to the french, if we lose on Sunday, It'll just be like any other world cup really.

You know what happened after the last few? Life went on, the economy was outperformed most others of the folllowing 18 months & everybody got over it.

We know, we know we don't have all the sporting capabiliteis and trophies of Australia, and we don't have the fabulous amazing country of Australia to fall back on, we can't wake up each morning realising we are Australians and thus the best & luckiets people in the world, but it's not like we live in some starving disease ridden shithole.

Love the Ab's - yes. Live and die by them, no. We are passionless compared to the average euro football supporter, the average afl supporter and the below average college football supporter in the states. We are 1% the passion of the latin american supporters, if that.

Yet, we continuously get sterotyped as this silly bunch of blinkered one eyed people with nothing else in our lives apart from the All Blacks & no other sports team to get behind who has ever won anything. Both of these are incorrect and both get on my (considerable size man) tits.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
MR you are of course absolutely right, there's plenty of other sports NZ is great at, it's a wonderful country to live in - one of only three I'd raise my kids in, the other being Canada.

Having lived there 25 years and Victoria 13, I think the weight of rugby in NZ is a lot like AFL here. Pervasive, passionate, and yes even one eyed! I don't follow AFL, been to one game, watched a handful more, and yet every year I inevitably know which teams are doing well, which aren't, and readily recognise the names of the good players, their form etc.

NZ won't stop in the unlikely event it lost, and never mind prior cup losses, the Christchurch earthquake puts small things like a cup loss into perspective.

But in my view it is fair to say that losing the cup would be a big hit to national morale.

I can't see it happen, and I'll be cheering the ABs on as they take it to the bloody sneaky little boat sinkers. But by god don't give the little buggers a whiff or they'll morph from cheese eating surrender monkeys into Napolean's vanguard.

P

proton

Nah mate

The Aboriginals have something similar. The aboriginal team have used them against the maori and the kangaroos. Paul Gallen nearly got poked in the eye and he wasnt happy about it imagine getting poked in the eye before the game but it would mean the challenge goes both ways..

Its a challenge and is spose to incite the oppositiion to battle. In the old days if they made a mistake during the haka it was bad juju. Thats why alot of maori didnt like the early day ABs doing it cos it looked like shit. Then Buck came along and tidied it up a bit...

Some people though dont look good when they do a haka and stick out like dogs balls...

Obviously one of the great traditions and weapons in world rugby, maybe I am looking a bit too far ahead here, but I was thinking of ways to combat it.

Waltzing Matilda: Good, but for some reason not done anymore

Also someone mentioned Rocky giving McCaw a right hook during the Haka.

Greg Smith came up with the idea for us to walk off and do drills, which failed horribly

Rod MacQueen made the players go into a huddle after and discuss plays

I came up with this:

80,000 people are there to watch the bledisloe and just after the Haka, the Aussies hold their line until the crowd silences.

Rocky Elsom steps forward.

Rocky: AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!
Crowd: OI OI OI!!
Rocky: AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!
Crowd: OI OI OI!!
Rocky: AUSSIE!!
Crowd: OI!!
Rocky: AUSSIE!!
Crowd: OI!!
Rocky: AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!
Crowd: OI OI OI!!!

I will hopefully intercept the boys at the airport on their way in to sydney and mention this.

This reminds the All Blacks where they are playing, who has support of the crowd and that WE dictate when the match starts.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Personally, I think the Haka should only be used in NZ. I see no reason why the All Blacks should be allowed to perform their little dance in other countries, it should be a home ground thing only.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Personally, I think the Haka should only be used in NZ. I see no reason why the All Blacks should be allowed to perform their little dance in other countries, it should be a home ground thing only.

Traditionally it was only performed at away matches, not home games.

I have no problems with the haka being used. It is one of rugby union's great traditions. I think other NZ sporting teams try to emulate it rather poorly which only adds to its impact in rugby.

I also think the Pacific nations performing the sipi tau is fantastic.

P

proton

waltzing marildA WATEVA id be scared of that bro if i waas playing netball

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't care if it's performed or not, but the throat slash haka as to go. To bang on about tradition and respect then make up a new war dance without history, tradition or respect fo the opposition is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.