• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Impending Beale vs Folau vs Cooper debate

Where should Beale play for the Wallabies?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

So I have an idea.. What if we move Izzy even closer and play him at 5/8.. He would be devastating in the fly half channel, he would touch the ball so much more, he is big and can defend, he would be able to run through the opposition because other teams have never played against a big bloke so close to the action, it would change the way the game is played :/

Genia's service isn't quick enough... Maybe we should play him at 9!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Why leave Izzy in the backs? He's big and strong, and should get the ball about 6/7 times in every 10 phases, put him in the pigs. For mine I'd run him at the back of the scrum with instructions to pick it up every time. Bugger waiting for Sanchez's slow-as-a-wet-week service. :rolleyes:

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Why leave big Izzy in the backs? He's big and strong, and should get the ball about 6/7 times in every 10 phases, put him in the pigs. For mine I'd run him at the back of the scrum with instructions to pick it up every time. Bugger waiting for Sanchez's slow-as-a-wet-week service. :rolleyes:

And he can jump so he'd be great in the line out. I think we're onto something here.:D

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
By the time the Wallabies next play I think Beale will be in the frame, as long as there are no other issues with behaviour and injury. Link has always talked highly about Beale and the time they spent together at the Tah's. I get the impression that he feels he could have won the title with them if Beale didn't get injured in the final.

Also Link seems to use a players talent to the teams advantage. While this may sound like a logical thing to do there are lots of coaches who have a style that they want their players to fit into that style. Link is more pragmatic, as he is happy to tell everyone, and will shape the game plan around the talents of the players. This, in my view, is why we are getting a better product from the team now than we were 12 months ago.

The players seem to be enjoying themselves more too as a result of this.

T

Train Without a Station

It's very interesting how some players can polarising people and their views.

At their best in 2010, Beale and Cooper both had their flaws but were about as good as each other in their own position.

Cooper was hammered for his weaknesses in some of the traditional requirements of his position, yet despite 3 years of indifferent form with sprinkles of brilliance here and there, Beale is still discussed by half the people out there as though a spot has to be found for me.

Since then, Cooper has really developed as a player and a person. Matured off the field, really worked on his weaknesses on it, yet it's only since he has really cemented his spot, and To'omua has shown he is probably better at 12 than 10, that people have gone from saying that he even wasn't worth a shot and was never up to it, to agreeing about his quality.

Despite his various off-field misdemeanours, Kurtly somehow appears to be more likeable, and therefore his own on-field issues glossed over a little easier.

I'm not saying he won't/shouldn't be back. I am saying that taking the Quade route back is what he should do/be forced to do. As much as I am reluctant to give Deans much credit for anything after the 2011 3N, in addition to Link's support, Deans' tough "love" (or pure hate) appears to have helped push Quade to improve as a player in 2013.

T

TOCC

Is it possible Izzy is the answer to our scrummaging issues?

Izzy for tighthead!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the obvious answer is that he just floats to whichever position he feels he can be best utilised.

5m defensive scrum on their feed - THP to keep our scrum steady.
5m defensive scrum on our feed - LHP
other scrums - number 8 so he can pick the ball up and run.
Otherwise, float between halfback, five eighth, or elsewhere in the backline or forward pack so he can get his hands on the ball almost every phase.

Obviously he'd need to ease off just before half time so he's ready to coach the team during the break.

Reactions: deL

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
There seems a consensus that we want players in positions they frequently play. This makes you wonder where Chieka will play some of his Tah Wallabies. This could impact on where people play next test season.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Falou in the centres ? He is a very good player but has anyone not noticed HE CANT PASS!

Sure he runs bloody brilliantly but I don't think I've even seen many offloads from him. So you can rule out a SBW type centre.

His pass to Tomane nearly cost a try. I also think he didn't pass to Cummins when he was in the clear because he has more confidence in his running game then his passing game.

Falou is the most threatening player Aus rugby, but he ain't the greatest at setting up this outside man. Not that he is completely bad but he is far from good.

Keep him at 15. He is arguably the world's best 15 (Halfpenny or Dagg) at the moment and if he keeps improving like this he will be the undisputed world's best 15 in no time.
Like he can't kick, eh? These Internet "truisms" get trotted out, but judging by his overall skill level, learning curve, and level of application, I have no doubt he would be more than capable of good offloading.
He's had 1 year in rugby, and the improvement has been highly impressive.
I wouldn't move him, for the reasons you, and others, stated regarding his play at 15. I have no doubt he could, if he had to.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Folau linked with his other outside backs against Wales roughly 100% better than Beale did against the Lions.

One botched attempt doesn't erase the several times he took on the line and put the next man out into space.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Damn, by accident I selected full back for Beale. Had it not been for sleep deprivation & a migraine I would have selected "bench" (but coming on as a fullback/injury cover). I was happy for him to get a go at 10 when he had the chance & but ultimately now I've accepted Fullback as his best spot. As others have said though he has to get a starting spot at the Tahs & prove himself there before anything else.

Izzy has been great at 15. I thought wing was his spot when he first came over but his efforts under the high ball & his returns tell me he's right for 15. I dunno about him playing prop & saving our scrummaging woes. To me he's learned so much in such little time that I expect him to retire after the upcoming RWC to become Links understudy then take over coaching the Wallabies for RWC Japan 2019 - where we'll be victorious of course ;)

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Beale has to play his way back into the wider national squad, I cant see him in the starting Wallabies team for now... If he stays focussed he will get anopther opportunity... But Mogg will get better and already has beeter skills as a full bcack than Beale..

Status
Not open for further replies.