• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Pocock's figures are way off. He's apparently grown 7cm since 2010 despite looking shorter than people listed at the same height.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reportedly Poey off to England to "study" - now I thought that's a bloke who is putting his post rugby future ahead of playing in Australia.

Coincidentally a report now that he may be offered $ 3 million to play in England.

Play rugby Poey, study later. Good onya.

Personally I think Poey is an average No. 8 but the world's best 7.

Michael H must be rubbing his hands with glee - First Gill and now possibly Poey.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah he's a bloody goer is McMahon. Love his attitude, just loves smashing blokes and doing the dirty yards. With that said, the combo of Hooper and Pocock has worked so incredibly well -- certainly against my predictions. I thought it would be worth a go but never did I think it would provide that X factor that nearly got us all the way last year.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Alzheimer's test now incorporates a new question to assess patients : Do you remember "The impending Hooper VS Pocock Dilemma" thread of 2015 ? "But Doctor ...I didn't know it was still a problem and I can't remember why ?" Doctor : "Alas you failed to mention The Pooper antidote ...I'm afraid you may have an early onset of dementia or you just may be too complacent , I'll just write you a script for a copy of the last Eden Park Test as a form of shock therapy which I suspect may trigger memories of the Wallabies gallant 2015 RWC campaign ....If not we'll wait for a new film in the development stage "Pocock's $3 mill Gap Year" ..... Pocock likely to be played by Kevin Hart or Denzel Washington ( in case the Academy has a change of heart) movie to be financed by Caterpillar Inc and music - Aretha Franklin performing "Chain of Fools (Chain,Chain,Chain for the post 70's crowd)"

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting reading back over this thread, knowing what we know now. Not too many outlandish comments. Overall the debate was pretty bang on. In the end, both players in the starting line-up, showed that nearly everyone was right to some extent. (save for those people that said you can't play duel opensides).

Imma miss this debate. It begs the question, what great hair-splitting debates are to come in 2016?

I see a big (worthwhile) debate in our future about using local talent vs overseas based talent for the Rugby Championship.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The impending Phipps v Stirzacker dilemma?

The impending Richard Graham sacking dilemma? (after which round will it happen).

The impending Michael Cheika is ruining Australian rugby by not selecting enough young players for the RWC and them all going overseas?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The major concerns on the site re 2 opensides starting, not just the thread generally seemed to be based around either the assumption that they would be played at 6 and 7 rather than 8 and 7, which would have required dropping Fardy, one of the few players who could create the balance, and the assumption that Skelton was potentially in the starting 15 on form, which would have required jumpers at 4, 6 and 8 to compensate, meaning that two opensides was an impossibility from a balance view.

As it turned out, Douglas and Mumm came back, shunting Skelton down the pecking order, and Pococks hands were steady enough at the back of the scrum to let him play 8 instead, so they could play them both without compromising the lineout. Didn't think too many were worried about them being too similar, more about the balance of the team given other incorrect assumptions.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The impending Michael Cheika is ruining Australian rugby by not selecting enough young players for the RWC and them all going overseas?

Shit if Chek had picked all these young players for RWC we may have come 10th. What, leave that old bloke Pocock out and play Gill or McMahon

Always pick the best players available

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Shit if Chek had picked all these young players for RWC we may have come 10th. What, leave that old bloke Pocock out and play Gill or McMahon

Always pick the best players available

A bit of rotation might be a necessity. But the general point remains. Do not blood players in important matches.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
McMahon is much more similar to Hooper as a player and I doubt that they will mesh as well as Hoops and Poey do. There are a couple of other young tearaways coming through as well. What we really need is a big 6/8 who can offset the shorties in the 23.
Even if Pocock does take a year in the UK I am sure he will be available for selection

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If the two "7" model was to continue I would have thought that Gill was the closest to Pocock in terms of skill set and the best to emulate that mode of play. Pity he has been Graham'd.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
McMahon is much more similar to Hooper as a player and I doubt that they will mesh as well as Hoops and Poey do. There are a couple of other young tearaways coming through as well. What we really need is a big 6/8 who can offset the shorties in the 23.
Even if Pocock does take a year in the UK I am sure he will be available for selection

Agree with a lot of above post.

Pocock a great 7 and OK 8. He will never be a "real" 8 unless he stands in English cowshit for a year and grows a few inches. Think Cheks plan of playing both was good. Poey was the BEST option at 8 but he is a 7.

I too am looking forward to a big line breaking or bending 8 who can also jump with the best of them. If one is found Pocock will take back the Wallaby 7 spot in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.