• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Cheika will have to somehow get Gill into or actively alongside the squad.

If Pooper keeps playing like 'it' did last night, and is required to now do so as a key component of Cheika-ball for 80 mins most (key) games, an injury to 50% of it is likely at some stage, the physical intensity and self-destruction factor is significant for those two players. Indeed, even last night at one point it looked like Poey might need to go off concussed.

Gill is the stand-out back-up, but with the 31 men RWC constraint he will need to be prepared and squad-ready in 'shadow' mode only.

I wasn't a fan of Hooper and Pocock together, but last night proved that it works and is very effective. But imo that's because Poey can really play a No 8 game. In fact, the best No 8 game I've seen for a long long time. I'm not sure either Hooper or Gill can offer that at No 8. Therefore, I see Gill as a possible injury cover for Hooper, but not for Pocock. And no way would I suggest either of Hooper or Gill should replace Fardy just to get them on the ground together.

Different kettle of fish altogether imo.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I wasn't a fan of Hooper and Pocock together, but last night proved that it works and is very effective. But imo that's because Poey can really play a No 8 game. In fact, the best No 8 game I've seen for a long long time. I'm not sure either Hooper or Gill can offer that at No 8. Therefore, I see Gill as a possible injury cover for Hooper, but not for Pocock. And no way would I suggest either of Hooper or Gill should replace Fardy just to get them on the ground together.

Different kettle of fish altogether imo.

One thing he needs to work on is his control at the back of the scrum that first scrum that went sideways he didn't control that very well, think we got a penalty but it wasn't all that good.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Cheika will have to somehow get Gill into or actively alongside the squad.

If Pooper keeps playing like 'it' did last night, and is required to now do so as a key component of Cheika-ball for 80 mins most (key) games, an injury to 50% of it is likely at some stage, the physical intensity and self-destruction factor is significant for those two players. Indeed, even last night at one point it looked like Poey might need to go off concussed.

Gill is the stand-out back-up, but with the 31 men RWC constraint he will need to be prepared and squad-ready in 'shadow' mode only.
Poey did go off for a concussion test, then the big dog came on. We didn't shit the bed like that.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hanson made a quite good point in his press conference re using two opensides, he said it's usefulness depends on the opposition's approach to attack.

Against side intent on ball in hand, it has it's place.

Against some of the others, less so, and he expected Cheika to pick and choose when both are used

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Telecast did say blood bin.....

He was covered in it.
I thought the telecast said 'head bin' or some such. I remember thinking I hadn't seen that before. I'll take another look at my recording later.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
They're our two most effective forwards across the park. I don't think it matters what the opposition is trying to do they're likely to be more effective than not having both of them on the field at the same time.

Yeah, I don't think Cheika will be heeding Shag's advice/opinion too much if at all. ;)

The reason it works is because they play such a complimentary game to one another. Hooper is everywhere in attack and defence like a #7 should be and Pocock is playing exactly how you'd want your #8 to play, only faster and with the added bonus that he can pilfer and create turnovers. The fact that he is 5-10cm shorter and 5-10 kg lighter than the stereotype is of little or no consequence.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I thought the telecast said 'head bin' or some such. I remember thinking I hadn't seen that before. I'll take another look at my recording later.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

I actually watched the replay this morning and can confirm that he went off for a concussion test (head bin), the bloodied face was about 10 minutes earlier.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
But Hanson is right to an extent, there are 3 games coming up where Cheika will probably elect not to start the Pooper - USA, Uruguay & Fiji.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yeah, I don't think Cheika will be heeding Shag's advice/opinion too much if at all. ;)

The reason it works is because they play such a complimentary game to one another. Hooper is everywhere in attack and defence like a #7 should be and Pocock is playing exactly how you'd want your #8 to play, only faster and with the added bonus that he can pilfer and create turnovers. The fact that he is 5-10cm shorter and 5-10 kg lighter than the stereotype is of little or no consequence.

He may be shorter and lighter but he is bloody ripped. So says my missus, she spotted him shirtless at halftime. Thanks bam bam;).

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
He may be shorter and lighter but he is bloody ripped. So says my missus, she spotted him shirtless at halftime. Thanks bam bam;).

He's not so much lighter. There have been plenty of good 105kg 8s.

Although the 'figures' have Pocock at 115. That's been debated before, but now it's reached the TV coverage. Has he really put on 10kg? I guess it's possible.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
He's not so much lighter. There have been plenty of good 105kg 8s.

Although the 'figures' have Pocock at 115. That's been debated before, but now it's reached the TV coverage. Has he really put on 10kg? I guess it's possible.
Fox sports had him at 187/115, I think its closer to 182/105.

Hooper has been listed at 181/100 and Pocock is 1-2cm taller and has wider shoulders

Status
Not open for further replies.