• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Oz have had a long history of producing quality openside flankers. Whilst M. Jones was always a standout for me as a kid, I still remember the likes of Poido, Codey and Miller sharing the 7 jersey for the Wallabies in the early/mid 80s and all being very good players.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There is simply no way George will be picked for the Wallabies again. Can we move on please.

Never say never Querty.
Remember our long injury list last year with hookers? God forbid if we see anything like that again soon but it is mildly reassuring that one George Smith is ready and available if need be.
Should one of our two opensides get injured during the RWC he will be right there training with Wasps.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Never say never Querty.
Remember our long injury list last year with hookers? God forbid if we see anything like that again soon but it is mildly reassuring that one George Smith is ready and available if need be.
Should one of our two opensides get injured during the RWC he will be right there training with Wasps.

And he could have his pre season down at the Marlins;)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Oz have had a long history of producing quality openside flankers. Whilst M. Jones was always a standout for me as a kid, I still remember the likes of Poido, Codey and Miller sharing the 7 jersey for the Wallabies in the early/mid 80s and all being very good players.

and another one Willie O

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Yeah true. One area that Australian and NZ rugby have been similar (in my lifetime at least) has been the production line of quality back rowers. In the modern era that's not a bad thing when you consider how influential a good loose forward is in the game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yes, I am manfully resisting the temptation to block quote that entire scene from The Life of Brian (still one of the funniest movies ever made IMHO).

Anyhoo, back to the original topic of discussion.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
perhaps we should just pick John Eales? Plenty of experience and knowledge. Plus he captained the last Wallaby team to win at the RWC.

Also Tim Horan, although he (apparently) doesn't know anything about rugby since becoming a commentator.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I said available if we lost Poey and Hooper he'd be selected.. Gill then Smith

Sent from my D6503 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Cheika will have to somehow get Gill into or actively alongside the squad.

If Pooper keeps playing like 'it' did last night, and is required to now do so as a key component of Cheika-ball for 80 mins most (key) games, an injury to 50% of it is likely at some stage, the physical intensity and self-destruction factor is significant for those two players. Indeed, even last night at one point it looked like Poey might need to go off concussed.

Gill is the stand-out back-up, but with the 31 men RWC constraint he will need to be prepared and squad-ready in 'shadow' mode only.

Status
Not open for further replies.