• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I prefer Higgerdy
uploadfromtaptalk1431161050865.jpg

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I hope Hooper's injury is minor. On the night, he was very ineffective with only a couple of dominant moments. The whole team played like that unfortunately.

choco7

Stan Wickham (3)
. I'd give pocock the jump on hooper as time and time again you hear that there is a great deal of difference between super and test, and my thoughts are that pocock is the only 7 to of really challenged mccaw at that level.

I think you have to give gill a chance at least to prove himself with high honours. It's really hard to show your full set of cards when you're playing in a loosing team. He has been a prominent figure in all the Reds games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
. I'd give pocock the jump on hooper as time and time again you hear that there is a great deal of difference between super and test, and my thoughts are that pocock is the only 7 to of really challenged mccaw at that level.

I think you have to give gill a chance at least to prove himself with high honours. It's really hard to show your full set of cards when you're playing in a loosing team. He has been a prominent figure in all the Reds games

Difference between Super & Test - well just looking at test;
Well gee if I recall last 2 years Hooper has achieved rather high polling in the end if year Wallaby awards. I've realised we have 2 awesome test match sevens and don't really pay this thread much attention.

They play different games so how can we really compare - they just both wear 7. I think Hooper does a whole heap more in the 80 minutes, and Pocock make those what the f ?? pilfers that stay in the memory bank - Jordy Reid had a couple of crackers on the weekend as well.

choco7

Stan Wickham (3)
Agree Jordy Reid for someone who is 23, had an amazing game on the weekend, made 18 tackles, 12 carries, and from what I recall 5 pilfers.

I personally prefer pococks style of play. I believe Hooper seems to take on to much across the field. At test level I believe he needs to concentrate on his own role, and believe in his team mates. At the end of the day, we have two of the best three sevens... It's a headache though a good one at that.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree Jordy Reid for someone who is 23, had an amazing game on the weekend, made 18 tackles, 12 carries, and from what I recall 5 pilfers.

I personally prefer pococks style of play. I believe Hooper seems to take on to much across the field. At test level I believe he needs to concentrate on his own role, and believe in his team mates. At the end of the day, we have two of the best three sevens. It's a headache though a good one at that.

And George Smith did all of the above at the same level - have some of the old tests on fox at the moment - that guy was a freak.

choco7

Stan Wickham (3)
Jordy Reid had a great game last week but he did not get 5 pilfers, he got 1.
Reid played a part in 6 turnovers, and furthermore stole a line out

7 min line out against the throw
13 min clears out and forces turn over after big hit from Inman
18th min try saving tackle on mealamu on line on try line, forcing knock on
24th min tackles moala forcing knock on
47th min tunrover on tevita Li
76 min rushed up and forces mistake
77 min turnover

What they classify as pilfers in stats don't always tell the full story

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Difference between Super & Test - well just looking at test;
Well gee if I recall last 2 years Hooper has achieved rather high polling in the end if year Wallaby awards. I've realised we have 2 awesome test match sevens and don't really pay this thread much attention.

They play different games so how can we really compare - they just both wear 7. I think Hooper does a whole heap more in the 80 minutes, and Pocock make those what the f ?? pilfers that stay in the memory bank - Jordy Reid had a couple of crackers on the weekend as well.

I keep making the point that polling well in the Wallaby awards really doesn't mean a hell of a lot when the team slips 3-4 places in the IRB rankings. Just means he was the best of a poor performing team.

Pocock was short-listed for IRB Player of the Year 2 years straight - I reckon that trumps Wallaby awards for the last few years.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Not a bad point @Bullrush, but being that puts him in the same select group as Owen Farrell, Freddie Michelak (2012), Tom Croft (2009), Mike Blair (2008), and Steve Thompson (2003)

Not that I am suggesting that BamBam's nominations for POTY were motivated by the same criteria as that of the names above, just that most awards scheme (Wallaby or otherwise) have anomalies inherent in them.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I keep making the point that polling well in the Wallaby awards really doesn't mean a hell of a lot when the team slips 3-4 places in the IRB rankings. Just means he was the best of a poor performing team.

Pocock was short-listed for IRB Player of the Year 2 years straight - I reckon that trumps Wallaby awards for the last few years.
Even when they matched up the other week it was hard to compare because they play different games.

So one forward is suppose to change an under performing team?

Send Pocock to Qld and RG might retain his job.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Even when they matched up the other week it was hard to compare because they play different games.

So one forward is suppose to change an under performing team?

Send Pocock to Qld and RG might retain his job.

It doesn't matter where you send either of these guys in Super Rugby because we're talking about international level.

Pocock has twice ranked as one of the top 5 players in the world. That's against every other player in the entire world. 2 years in a row.

Hooper has been ranked as a top Wallaby. That's against the other 30-odd players in the Wallabies. A Wallaby team that dropped to 6th (?) in the IRB.

Even taking the ranking drop out of the equation, surely you can see the difference between being winning Wallaby awards (which Pocock has done anyway) and being nominated as IRB Player of the Year 2 years running.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It doesn't matter where you send either of these guys in Super Rugby because we're talking about international level.

Pocock has twice ranked as one of the top 5 players in the world. That's against every other player in the entire world. 2 years in a row.

Hooper has been ranked as a top Wallaby. That's against the other 30-odd players in the Wallabies. A Wallaby team that dropped to 6th (?) in the IRB.

Even taking the ranking drop out of the equation, surely you can see the difference between being winning Wallaby awards (which Pocock has done anyway) and being nominated as IRB Player of the Year 2 years running.

Ah back at a desk - Bullrush - I am not debating you here or anyone else on the thread that is talking up Poey. I am saying the type of game each of them plays is completely different.

As is the type of game that the 2 different coaches bring, I rate both players and not worried about 7 as we have more of them in the cupboard.

I'd have both in the match day 23, I'd drop a back and have an extra forward in the RWC, I see the balance of the bench as being far more important than this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.