• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Hodgson
2. Pocock
3. G Smith
4. McMahon
5. Butler
6. Hooper
7. Gill
8. Reid
9. Giteau
10. Cooper
11. Lealiifano
12. Beale
13. To'omua
14. O'Connor
15. Foley

16. C Fainga'a
17. Beau Robinson
18. Fugistaller
19. McCutcheon
20. Alcock
21. Frisby
22. Debreczeni
23. Barnes

Do we really need Barnes AND Debreczeni on the same bench.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
well they went head-to-head and I have changed my mind. I would have Hooper at 7 after that. Test rugby is less about the flash turnovers than say Mccaws heyday and Hooper is just such an all-round pest. I' imaginbe AB's would wheel out the old "run straight at him to make him the first tackler dont let him be 2nd to the ball" ploy for Pocock. i'll probably change my mind next week and foist it upon the forum as gospel. It's what us internet experst do

ps, I call this piece "Davide, Michale, Di and Liame at The Seaside". It is part of the Italian classic movement. I painted it all by myself.

90591379-e34a-4c91-9476-7d4161e94c72_zpsiepqvbw1.gif

Ahhhh - I see what you'r doing...

err yes, I think Hooper is the better Test player as well!

C

Ct0405

Hooper seems to be the clear choice. He's been extremely consistent this year and really dangerous with ball in hand. He has arguably been neck and neck with Cane for being best openside in Super Rugby this year.

Tommo4

Frank Row (1)
i know its a little off topic but what about the battle for blindside flanker. Fardy despite injury seems to be the incumbent and better at the breakdown, whilst Higgers is a better ball carrier and has a knack in super rugby to find the try line, not to mention McMahon as well.

Who do u reckon will start if they are all fit at 6 this rugby championship?

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I think Fardy will be chosen because hes a proven test quality Blindside and gives us the Mongrel we need to our backrow, and is a lineout option. if i were the coach i would choose the Blindside depending on the Openside. If we have a ball runner in Hooper then Mcmahon probably doesnt balance that backrow out whereas Fardys work at the breakdown and tight playing style does. the opposite is true for Poey, who plays tight and is at every ruck, but isnt as stong in his ball running so Mcmahon would be a good option. Also i think someone mentioned above that last year Mcmahon jumed for us in the lineout so that should be another option there, albiet surely still not as good as Fardy.

I would go with 6. Mcmahon 7. Pocock 8. McCalman

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I watched Higgers closely on the weekend. It's no wonder he doesn't get through as much work as other no.6s. He plays so wide of the ruck. Presumably that's by design as it is with Hooper for the tahs. you probably could afford to play him if Pocock was on the field but I don't like the idea that your no.6 isn't at the coal face. Hooper plays wide but gets through a tonne more work in attack and defence. On my observations, whilst Higgers is effective his work rate isn't high enough to start a game for the wallabies. Could be a reasonable bench option though

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I watched Higgers closely on the weekend. It's no wonder he doesn't get through as much work as other no.6s. He plays so wide of the ruck. Presumably that's by design as it is with Hooper for the tahs. you probably could afford to play him if Pocock was on the field but I don't like the idea that your no.6 isn't at the coal face. Hooper plays wide but gets through a tonne more work in attack and defence. On my observations, whilst Higgers is effective his work rate isn't high enough to start a game for the wallabies. Could be a reasonable bench option though

Doesn't all come down to backrow balance, the Tahs have Pots and Palu who play closer while Hooper leads the defensive line from wider

If Pocock is preferred at 7, a Cheika coached Wobs team will need one of the other backrowers wider out in a ball running/support role, Higgers or McMahon could fit that role (possibly Fardy as well)

But the key thing is a balance that will support the game plan, the Wobs will be playing ball in hand rugby. The Wobs will be using an aggressive defensive line that wants to get dominant tackles and then counter ruck

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
6. Jordy Reid absolutely on fire at the moment - in tight.
7. Hooper sensational with his ball carries and creates width.
8. Smith brings both of the above plus experience.
Steal the ball retain it, score a try, repeat, who needs jumpers in the line outs and the other 12 players.
I mean imagine if they all ran out for Manly at the same time.
Oops forgot - wrong thread - but Jordy is on fire tonight.

Something in the water in Manly - hear Willieo is also making a comback.

Status
Not open for further replies.