• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Late to this party here but it still has legs.

I am currently leaning towards Folau prevailing at the moment. Not because of his ignorantly stupid comments. In everything I've read it's not 100% on how clear and ironclad the agreement to never post again was. However RA's handling of all this means they are unlikely to win.

If correct, RA decided to sack him BEFORE any investigation or mediation was had. This means he was never going to get a fair go. His post, as stupid as it is, falls a long way short of vilification unless you can prove the validity of heaven and hell. And the fact it is on a site not associated with his employer means RA is treading into the realms of censorship.

The biggest issue for me in RA's handling is lack of consistency. If a personal post on a personal site is sackable, why is a criminal CONVICTION of an activity that has the potential of killing someone (drink driving) worth a one week suspension. It's a fair question for Folau's legal team to ask.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
This is not entirely true.... Folau initially went awol, and RA gave him several opportunities to keep his job.

I’m sure that if in the code of conduct hearing he said
- the post is down
- sorry shouldn’t have done it
- won’t do it again
- happy to have posts review before they go live (hey this is a stretch but it is reported that he said that to the NRL - probably not true)

Then RA would have said great. Let’s play some rugby.

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
All questions are fair for Folau's legal team to ask.

Just like "Why the fuck did you sign our code of conduct if your religious beliefs made you incapable of upholding it?" is valid.

Or "Why, if so many of our other players are Christians, do they NOT post stupid fucking shit online?" as well.

Oh and maybe "Where the flying fuck is your promise to walk away from the game now?"

However, the question they CANNOT ask, in ANY circumstance, is "What the fuck is this magic sky daddy bullshit about?"

To a Christian that comment is as offensive as anything IF has said, but they cop it on the chin, as is the Australian way. It's called tolerance.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I was just about to post "Anything from the Land of Nazi Dumpster Fire Incelnet Is Invalid" but you beat be to it.

You now have a dubious honour,

‘Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds, the point at which effectively the discussion or thread often ends. Promulgated by the American attorney and author Mike Godwin in 1990, Godwin's law originally referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions. It is now applied to any threaded online discussion, such as Internet forums, chat rooms, and comment threads, as well as to speeches, articles, and other rhetoric where reductio ad Hitlerum occurs.’

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
“Far Right”

Is any opinion that doesn’t fit neatly into the leftist narrative now considered “Far Right”?

Do I assume the first 100+ pages of this thread are as distorted as this statement and just not bother?

Remarkable insight for someone from the land of the long left cloud. Cudos.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Any article that contains such an eye-rolling incel induced clickbait phrase such as "corporate virtue signalling" in its headline, can quickly be tossed into the Rita Panahi scrap pile of rubbish journalism............

Jiminy Cricket

Frank Row (1)
Any article that contains such an eye-rolling incel induced clickbait phrase such as "corporate virtue signalling" in its headline, can quickly be tossed into the Rita Panahi scrap pile of rubbish journalism....

Fair enough I guess, though I prefer not to be spoon fed my morals by CEOs or corporations pushing a political/social agenda. I also think we should reserve terms like “far right” for, you know, like the real “far right” rather than use it as a tool to shut down or invalidate people’s opinion who don’t share our perceptions of how the world ought to be.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
To a Christian that comment is as offensive as anything IF has said, but they cop it on the chin, as is the Australian way. It's called tolerance.

Fucking hell. Now we're calling things "The Australian Way'.

This is as funny as white men believing they should have International Men's Day because it's unfair if they don't

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You now have a dubious honour,

‘Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds, the point at which effectively the discussion or thread often ends.

Kenny, Kenny, Kenny. You've come to a battle of wits armed with a plastic teaspoon I see. Let's get to the points of order:

1) Godwin's Law doesn't apply here, as I didn't compare Quillette to Hitler. I said it was a Nazi fucking cesspit - and I'm right!

2) Quillette is an alt-right bucket of shit that is chock full of "free speech" articles that are anti-feminist and anti-transgender, as well as having a hefty dose of slurping down on Jordan Peterson's bag.

3) YOU were the one who started using that particular sack of dead cats as a discussion point, which is a big mistake if you want to be taken seriously. But go ahead, drink from the cup of Bolt and the other douchecopters.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
By the way, the Constitution does NOT enshrine a right to "free speech". The High Court has ruled that there is a right to free political discourse.

Jiminy Cricket

Frank Row (1)
Quillettes “bias” as rated by multiple independent sources is “centre right”. The fact they criticise feminism etc when the loony’s take it to the extreme is as fair as the criticism directed at Folau for taking his ideology to far.

To call them alt right is laughable.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.