• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Love Stephen Fry.

Should they be able to stop a player bringing Rugby into disrepute? Absolutely. But a controversial religious post by a player doesn't bring rugby into disrepute, it brings the player into disrepute. All RA has to do is repudiate the view in strong terms - which it has.

You make some good points Ath, but in this one I think you are wrong, if the posts brings the player into disrepute, I think it also brings the organisation he represents into disrepute.
Otherwise players that are continually seen to be drunk etc in public would be able to say they are only hurting themselves and the game would have no comeback.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes. And the stance of the PI playing community is worrying, considering their representation in the current Wallabies outfit, and our supe teams. The response I have seen at community playing level is worrying also.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well, on the eve of the 'hearing', and with nowhere else to post this, here is a rally well balanced article written by Nick Turnbull, and also offers some good 'intel' from the Polynesian rugby community.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rugb...ddm3IwGQ9IxNdZxlRaoBxuvA062Th0UV_xDA7s9VzYAdA

I've had a very similar experiences with Pacific Islanders, both when I played with them and later as a coach. More often than not in fact, the more religious they were, the harder they were on the field.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Surely we can now unlock the Izzy thread.

Liddell’s faith-filled story was recalled by a participant in The Weekend Australian’s online poll that received a huge public response to the question: “Should Rugby Australia sack Israel Folau over his social media posts?”
The poll attracted 21,700 respondents, with 89 per cent saying Folau should not have his $4 million contract torn up

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...u/news-story/8c7c8417a5b1cee15cccca500f458e83

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Surely we can now unlock the Izzy thread.

Liddell’s faith-filled story was recalled by a participant in The Weekend Australian’s online poll that received a huge public response to the question: “Should Rugby Australia sack Israel Folau over his social media posts?”
The poll attracted 21,700 respondents, with 89 per cent saying Folau should not have his $4 million contract torn up

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...u/news-story/8c7c8417a5b1cee15cccca500f458e83

He's a goner then.

RA and public opinion don't have a good track record.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
An online poll in The Australian?

Geez, that settles that then.........

Nothing represents the general cross section of Australian society than people who respond to online polls in The Australian.........

Wait, wasn’t the Folau thread locked?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
An online poll in The Australian?

Geez, that settles that then...

Nothing represents the general cross section of Australian society than people who respond to online polls in The Australian...

Wait, wasn’t the Folau thread locked?

I'd be happy for Fairfax to do one with as many respondents and compare the results. But they haven't, hey ;)

S

sidelineview

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
My guess is a similar outcome to the Beale hearing. RA are made to look like fools, he gets a big fine and maybe another few weeks, and then plays on.
Except that his own Waratahs team mates have been vocal that they don’t want him in the team.

S

sidelineview

Except that his own Waratahs team mates have been vocal that they don’t want him in the team.

Those team mates are employees of RA who have to abide by their terms of contract.
I'd say refusing to play with a particular team mate is not within their rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.