• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Kiwis are rigging the World Cup so they can win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Squeak

Penalties still need to carry some punch, or it becomes the Richie World Cup. Drop goals worth 1 though, that I'd like to see.

B

BRIX

[video=youtube;tC_UKiNlii8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC_UKiNlii8[/video]

As Paul Grayson demonstrates, the ball goes where you kick it, which tends to suit kickers who shoot straight (pun intended). Players that come across the ball and like to swing the ball over aren't having the most success. As Toddy alluded to earlier though, they've had the ball for the past 6 months so there shouldn't be any real excuse. Oh and don't forget to lay partial blame on shitty NZ weather ; )

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
The stadium has a roof, but it isn't enclosed, The walls don't come right down to the ground. Not that that proves anything...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They had the same type of issues at the soccer world cup, the sides who coped best there were the sides who got a box on the balls and trained with them for the months prior.

Kind of logical I reckon

R

Rev Spooner

As the video says they've been using these balls internationally for a year now.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
If the ball is one that is preventing the kickers from winning games im all for it.

However, lets bear in mind New Zealand can be a difficult place for kickers given wind and conditions.

B

BRIX

Yeah, there are many variables, the weather, the make of the ball, the style of kicking etc. but I guess the good part is, is that the ball seems to cover a lot of ground when struck sweetly. I've noticed that bomb kicks are skewing a little too for teams... Hmmm *cue dramatic music*

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
nah no need to delte the thread- its more a discussion of the ball , but I thought it would be more apt to keep the cheating accusations up :D.

J

Jumpers

Very suprising to see the likes of Wilkinson and co miss penalty goals. Perhaps its got to do with the fabric of the ball or shape. Wat it could amount to is that maybe teams need to score tries from now on!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If the ball is one that is preventing the kickers from winning games im all for it.

However, lets bear in mind New Zealand can be a difficult place for kickers given wind and conditions.

Not in an indoor stadium, though. Wilko had a shocker and the Argies were the same.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's not an indoor stadium. It just has a roof. Lots of wind can still get in the sides.

otago-stadium-2011_2584537.jpg

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
It wouldn't be a World Cup - either rugby or soccer - without complaints about the behaviour of the ball. I remember a lot of complaints all the way back at the '91 RWC about the flight of the adidas ball.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It's not an indoor stadium. It just has a roof. Lots of wind can still get in the sides.

otago-stadium-2011_2584537.jpg

Construction cranes still in that picture? The interwebz seem describe it as "fully enclosed".

ZU4fA.jpg

Is there ventilation in the corners where the red circles are? How much wind got in on Saturday?

Status
Not open for further replies.