• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Kiwis are rigging the World Cup so they can win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

antipodean

They know that the Northern Hemisphere teams can win when they can't kick goals (they can't score tries) , so they come out with a ball that none of the sharp shooters can use :lmao: . Its probably a good thing though , means that teams that score tries will win :D .
Nice.

Watching the England v Argentina match down at the Queen St Wharf, I was surprised at how bad both teams were with the place kicking, with no apparent excuse. There looked to be a fair few England supporters nervously watching as Jonny missed a few in a row.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Also - wilkinson said himself there was no wind so I wonder what it was, just a co-incidently offnight for both kickers probably.

"Maybe the stands are a bit low and you have to aim at something different but the surface was perfect and of course there was no wind!"

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Just listening to the radio on the way to work this morning, a representative from Gilbert was defending their ball. Apparently it is the same one that was used for the Autumn northern hemisphere tours, the 6 nations and the tri nations. So kickers have had a year to get used to it. Don't think we can blame the ball.
Just got my tickets for England v Georgia. Taking the kids along to cheer for Georgia! Can't complain at $20 each for the kids. Would love to see a massive upset! Pity they are not in blue. Was all decked out to cheer for the argies on saturday.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Kiwis have been rigging it by having 40km/h+ winds and driving rain for many of the opening games.

Reactions: BPC

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Snowing down south today. Lucky our brand new stadium is covered. Beats freezing on the terraces at Carisbrook.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
This thread title should be changed. Spiro has added his 2c, which I am mostly in agreement with, atleast until this weekend. I do think the kickers will be practising like mad at the moment.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/09/13/is-there-another-balls-up-over-the-gilbert-rwc-ball/#more-50362

Is there another balls-up over the Gilbert RWC ball?

England's fly-half Jonny Wilkinson kicks the Gilbert Virtuo during their Rugby World Cup Pool B match against Argentina. (AAP Image,Martin Bureau

Jonny Wilkinson missing five successive kicks at goal, as he did for England against Argentina, is about as rare as five successive sunny, warm days in New Zealand in spring. Wilkinson just didn’t miss these shots. Several of his kicks ended up closer to the corner posts than the goal posts.

He explained his misses this way: ‘The ball wasn’t going where it was supposed to go.’

It wasn’t just Wilkinson who had the kicking blues. Dan Carter missed several relatively easy, for him at least, kicks at goal. The usual sharpshooters for Scotland and Ireland were also strangely off target.

James Hook, who kicked a goal that wasn’t given by Wayne Barnes and his assistant referees, had the gripping match between his Welsh side and the Springboks on his boot when, minutes from full-time and with Wales one point down, he kicked for goal from the sideline about 35m out.

This is the sort of kick most accomplished kicker like Hook would boot over in a clutch situation like this.

The kick was never going to go over. It started metres outside the near post and never looked like curving in across the bar.

It was not just a perception that the goal-kicking was generally poor in most matches in the opening matches. The statistics on the kicking are that of the 103 kicks at goal only 40 were successful. The success rate was 39 per cent. The usual success rate is about 75 per cent.In my opinion, something is wrong. Either the kickers are in bad form or, and this is my belief, there is something about the Gilbert Virtuo ball that is disconcerting the goal-kickers.

The interesting aspect of all of this is that the same thing happened in Rugby World Cup 2007.

Kickers like Carter and Wilkinson missed relatively easy kicks at goal, just like they have this tournament. I wrote an article at the time documenting all the misses and suggesting that the balls were at fault. The article was run in the influential French newspaper L’Equipe.

The makers of the Gilbert ball were infuriated by the article.

They published all sort of statistics to suggest that I was wrong. Players like Carter were sort of in agreement. But it was clear they weren’t happy with the ball.

Now we move forward to this week. The statistics suggest that there is something wrong with the ball.

Gilbert, as they did in RWC 2007, have put out a statement saying that the reaction to the tournament ball has been ‘overwhelming positive.’

As an aside, I would note that Wilkinson’s comment about the contrariness of the ball does not seem to me to be overwhelmingly positive.

The Gilbert statement went on to point out that the Gilbert Virtuo ball, which weighs 460g, was used in the 2011 Six Nations tournament. But it seems a new type of bladder with a new valve ‘to improve the stability’ of the ball has been added. Apparently this new bladder retains the air in the ball more effectively than other bladders.

This may be the problem. I noticed at the New Zealand-Tonga match that there was wooden sound when the ball was kicked. It sounded more like a lump of wood being kicked that a rugby ball. The ball also often just died when it was kicked.

Sometimes, though, when it was kicked in the sweet spot, generally in a low rather than a high trajectory, it went great distances. And then there were all the misses with the kicks at goal…

As the tournament progresses it will be interesting to see how the kickers cope with a ball that seems to be harder than the usual ball.

In 2007, Percy Montgomery, the Springboks’ ace kicker, had no trouble knocking over his kicks at goal when the sharp-shooters in the other teams could hardly convert their kicks at goal.

It was Montgomery’s dead-eye goal kicking that was instrumental in South Africa winning the 2007 RWC tournament.

Here is the punchline. In the opening round of the 2011 RWC tournament there was one kicker who knocked over all his shots at goal.

Morne Steyn, the Springboks ace kicker, converted three out of three of his shots at goal. This dead-eye accuracy got the Springboks up in their 17-16 win over Wales.

Will Morne Steyn be the 2011 equivalent of Percy Montgomery for the Springboks?

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Snowing down south today. Lucky our brand new stadium is covered. Beats freezing on the terraces at Carisbrook.

There will be no excuse for the students to set fire to their furniture to keep warm.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
They don't need an excuse. I don't think there are any couches left in North Dunedin. Just charred patches on the road.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Anyone else think that france might play a b side vs nz and throw the game so they end up in the england side of the draw?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The french have no idea who their b side and a side is. They will play the flavour of the week and if they lose they will drop more than half the team.

Such a waste of a strong rugby nation.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
40% is an incredible stat. It's starting to look like the ball flies like a brick unless hit absolutely perfectly.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shit ball for place kicking encourages try scoring and playmaking.

Haven't really noticed a detrimental effect in punt kicking.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They know that the Northern Hemisphere teams can win when they can't kick goals (they can't score tries) , so they come out with a ball that none of the sharp shooters can use :lmao: . Its probably a good thing though , means that teams that score tries will win :D .

The ball is a Gilbert - an English company. ABs are adidas sponsored.....adidas do make footballs....i think you'll find the IRB choose the balls so i hope this is a joke

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Watching the kicks this weekend I tried to see if kicking style had any apparent influence on outcome.

The only observation I would make was that kickers with a more "fluent" style like Flood and Parra had greater success. Kickers using more of a "punt" style (more square on), and those who don't rely on a smooth follow through as much struggled.

Both Flood and Parra have a text book follow through. Very smooth.

Don't know if there's much in it but that's what it looked like. Morne had some early jitters but then reverted to type as well. Also a very fluent kicker.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Bollocks? Ask Dan Carter. He's being diplomatic here, but this is clearly a fuck up. But it might be a fuck up which favours the Wallabies, which is the best result you can get out of the iRB.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...s-bizarre-try-celebration-20110927-1kv1a.html

Carter said the lack of familiarity with the match ball might be behind the Rugby World Cup kicking woes of the world's best marksmen..

Wayward goalkicking has been a talking point of the tournament so far, with the manufacturers of the Gilbert ball denying it's their problem, saying each ball has been checked and approved by an engineer.

But Carter said it had different characteristics to what he was used to from the Super Rugby season earlier in the year.

"It doesn't have as much give so, if you don't quite strike it right, it then doesn't fly as straight as you would like at times," the All Blacks pivot said.

"But it is the same for every kicker ... if you strike it well - then it goes straight."

Carter, who had a 75 per cent success rate in the recent Tri Nations series, described his slump to a 67 per cent average in the World Cup as frustrating.

"Obviously, when you play with a certain ball, you get used to it and to have a new one for such an important tournament can be frustrating early on.

"But it's just a matter of getting out and working hard on the practice pitch."

Status
Not open for further replies.