• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Ironically also, if Hayne makes a success over there he could unintentionally grow interest in League.

Most fans of American football could not care less where their players come from. I am pretty sure that a number of former rugby players, particularly kids from Samoa and Tonga have ended up playing college football and even in the big league as well. A lot go over on Mormon scholarships and end up at the University of Hawaii or in Utah.

If Jarryd Hayne ever becomes a star in the game (which is extremely unlikely) it will not happen for at least three years or so, by which time he will have a totally American story behind him.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
There was an article in today's Australian by a sports reporter called Will Swanton. It was headed "Jarryd Hayne exposes NRL as small time code"

Some quotes:
It’s NSW’s and Queensland’s Pastime. It’s a small and insular competition that the superstars are outgrowing.

But then he goes back to the old complaint which has been proven wrong: "If only they knew about NRL they would realise it is the greatest game in the world".
When the Dodgers and Diamondbacks were in town for the Saturday-Sunday double-header, the American scribes were at a loose end on the Friday night. They’d heard about rugby league. It was about as relevant to them as Gaelic football is to us but they wanted to check it out. They jumped in their car. How long to get to Brisbane for the Broncos? Daft buggers. They were told they might struggle to get there from the SCG in the 90 minutes they had up their sleeves. They went to Homebush. Next day, they said they had never seen a sport like rugby league. More to the point, they had never seen athletes like it. Their question: why were they so anonymous? Why was the sport so small?

Personally, I liken it to the first time I saw motor cycle racing. It was all colour and speed and excitement at first, but after an hour I got bored with watching the same thing over and over.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ironically also, if Hayne makes a success over there he could unintentionally grow interest in League.

Nope, would attract interest in rugby. 90% of the media over there are reporting him as a rugby player and not a league one. They wouldn't know anything about league.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nope, would attract interest in rugby. 90% of the media over there are reporting him as a rugby player and not a league one. They wouldn't know anything about league.

That's right. In most of the world (even in Victoria), most people don't realise that there are 2 codes of rugby.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yanks are typically amazed by league the first time they see it, because it features little padding (almost none these days), crashing hits, and is packaged into a very convenient 2 hours so you don't put on as much weight. Throw in the fact that you can actually see the game from the sideline, and that the ball skills are more like basketball to them, and you can see why it appeals on first view.

What they don't understand is that it looks like that pretty much all the time, and eventually they get exhausted trying to keep up.

Say what you will about this thing with Hayne, but the level of class, humility and courage he's shown in making this decision comes at a time when people are thinking of our code as filled with guys that represent pretty well the opposite of all that.

I thought so too - I liked the line about buying his Mum a house. Wish some of our blokes were that classy.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe our players' mothers already own their own houses.

As for the loig meejah, Andrew Webster reports today on Joey Johns' annual talent spotting trip to Fiji.

Johns apparently saw quite a few " talented Polynesians."

Must have had a very powerful telescope.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Maybe our players' mothers already own their own houses.

As for the loig meejah, Andrew Webster reports today on Joey Johns' annual talent spotting trip to Fiji.

Johns apparently saw quite a few " talented Polynesians."

Must have had a very powerful telescope.

Obviously the league boys haven't heard of Melanesia.;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
map.jpg

Source:http://www.janeresture.com/melhome/

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If you think about it while looking at them, Fijians pass for PNG brothers; Samoans and Tongans don't.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
If you think about it while looking at them, Fijians pass for PNG brothers; Samoans and Tongans don't.

err, yes in that Fijians are passably similar to most of the people of the islands of New Britain, Bougainville, New Ireland, Manus and a few coastal areas of the mainland. no, in that there is very little similarity between Fijians and the peoples of the Highlands of Papua New Guinea who are near enough to half of the national population.

T

Train Without a Station

A good read but gets carried away with the wallabies staffing aspect. I'd be the wallabies actually have less staff and less systems and procedures than the all blacks or the springboks.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A good read but gets carried away with the wallabies staffing aspect. I'd be the wallabies actually have less staff and less systems and procedures than the all blacks or the springboks.

I'm more interested in what the people are actually doing rather than how many of them there are, just as I don't really care how many systems and procedures there are, as long as they are effective.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have been reading similar assessments on these forums since I joined. There isn't a new idea or insight there.

The reason given for Beale's action, boredom (seriously?), is just lazy.

I'll carefully avoid getting into a discussion on the specifics of the person mentioned in your last sentence, lest I attract the wrath of the mods.

It's just the symptom - the disease is the culture of entitlement and the ineffective structures that are in place. These individual incidents will continue to occur until those issues are fixed.

As TOCC said on another thread, professional rugby players in Australia are the wharfies of world sport.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I'm not saying he is wrong, just 3 years late. The same is true for that player, boredom may have been a factor, but that is a very superficial assessment of a complicated problem.

I loved the way he sucks you in and makes you he is a great guy with his story about the 16yo girl at the start. I don't believe for a second that is the toughest test of character he has seen on a sporting field. It sounds great and attempts to give the impression some authority on the matter and psuedo-moral high ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.