• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
I think the thing is that in rugby because of the continuing contest for the ball there has to be balance in the rules. So therefore we end up with counterintuitive rules that cause stoppages for scrum and maul infringements but are designed to ultimately create the opportunity for attacking play or prevent it from being foiled. So in response papabear, I would say that you have to put up with the boring bits to see KB (Kurtley Beale) and QC (Quade Cooper) in full flight.

Just on that other note the NRL brought in the stripping rule because of x players holding one player while the next stripped the ball. I am not sure I agree that the ball carrier chooses to run into 3/4 players. I recently watch the 1971 GF over and I enjoyed it much more than the more recent fare. Although I am a Souths fan though, so perhaps the enjoyment was guaranteed. Had not seen that game (or Souths win a GF) since 1971.

All your wrestling stuff was interesting mxy. You should head to your nearest Super Rugby club to share your thoughts with their scrum coach. My instant response to your comment about props arses drifting out is that the breakaways are not pushing in. Anyone else have any observations?

Sorry that is 3 separate thought strings, all off thread.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
League media can't criticize the Wallabies. They were defeated twice by the Kiwis this year, and the Australian League is at least 20 times bigger than NZ League.

The league is dying in NZ, Warriors are becoming less popular, they aren't even able to create a League team in Wellington. Proof of this is that they couldn't even sell out the Wellington stadium (35k) for the final match of 4 nations against the world champion at home.

Our situation is the other way, our sport is losing popularity over other codes such as AFL and NRL and also we have to face the most popular sport in NZ.

So, the League Media: Shut up!!! ;)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The league is dying in NZ, Warriors are becoming less popular, they aren't even able to create a League team in Wellington. Proof of this is that they couldn't even sell out the Wellington stadium (35k) for the final match of 4 nations against the world champion at home.

That is grossly inaccurate.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
I hope I live to 2030 (unless I am forced to a rice only diet). By then rugby will be clearly the number two sport in the world; USA, China and Russia will be major forces.

There will be enormous opportunities for players but will Australia be minnows? Will rugby league and AFL survived in opposition?

I have to stop asking these rhetorical questions because this is the wrong thread.

Stay tuned.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm currently in a country that's not Australia.........

Someone remind me what rugby league is again?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
That is grossly inaccurate.

The rating of the Warriors games has fallen in recent years. I'm going to seek the information.

Furthermore, it's not necessary to be a NASA astronaut to know that NZ's children dream of being All Blacks, non Kiwis.

The Wellington Stadium was not sold out, that's the reality. And they faced the world champions and the best League team, the Kangaroos. In Union that's the equivalent to face the All Blacks, and every team who play against All Blacks get a sold out stadium. All teams, even USA, where rugby isn't popular. So

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
[...] So therefore we end up with counterintuitive rules that cause stoppages for scrum and maul infringements but are designed to ultimately create the opportunity for attacking play or prevent it from being foiled. So in response papabear, I would say that you have to put up with the boring bits to see KB (Kurtley Beale) and QC (Quade Cooper) in full flight.
That's a good point. The league equivalent of stopping play to create an attacking opportunity would be the ruck and play the ball, where only 3-4 players are allowed in the ruck and then everyone runs back 10 meters. The difference is for scrums and mauls, there's still something happening up until the play breaks open or a penalty occurs; in league, play actually stops by design after every tackle.

So from a spectator's point of view, your choices are either to watch the storm that occurs at the breakdown and set piece until play breaks open, or just watch play stop completely until the next phase and hope play breaks open on that phase. In a way, league's response to the set piece is kind of like playing gridiron without an offensive or defensive line, just the backs and receivers. (And if watching big blokes collide were really so boring, NFL wouldn't be as popular as it is.)

The strange thing, at least to me, is that while league promotes its use of space (mainly by dropping two players), it doesn't seem to be utilized as efficiently as in union. After everyone backs off 10 meters for the play the ball, both sides fan out, and the next phase pretty much occurs within a 10-20 meter-wide strip of the field (dummy half, pass, hit-up). Since there's a limited number of tackles, most sides are loath the kick the ball ahead to exploit space -- the Warriors are often called creative because they sometimes kick on 4th tackle. But that means that most teams aren't making use of all that extra space, and most of a league game occurs east-to-west, except on 5th tackle and then it's only used effectively when they're within 15-20 meters of the try line.

Rugby, on the other hand, is far more likely to move east-to-west and north-to-south, especially with fullback up-and-unders. Since they're not limited by a tackle count, teams are more free to exploit space in behind when it presents itself, so you see more kick-throughs cross-kicks that don't just occur on 5th tackle.

I dunno, just an observation. To be fair, the limitations imposed on league can force some creative play. League's structure is like a marching song compared to rugby's free jazz.

I don't know if I could easily head to my nearest Super Rugby club -- that's at least a 24 hour plane ride away. I'm not even sure I could offer anything all that useful. I am kind of fascinated with how much wrestling I see in both codes, though. I don't think it's implemented very effectively in league, unless the only real purpose is to slow and stop play. League wrestling is almost all upper-body, and even in greco-roman wrestling new rules have been brought in to make sure action actually occurs and the competitors don't just squeeze each other to death. But beyond just how wrestling works in union scrums, I also see a lot of it in tackles, rucks and clean-outs, especially with things like the can-opener -- that's a front headlock position we'd use to either as a set-up in collegiate wrestling or as a scoring technique in freestyle/greco.

The weird thing for me is seeing so many tackles now being called dangerous/tip tackles. Often that same move would be perfectly fine on a mat, and in international wrestling, those sorts of takedowns used to be awarded up to 5 points for amplitude (exposing the opponent's back to the mat while having him controlled in the air). Now it's just 2 for the takedown and 2 for back exposure, no extra point for height. I understand how such tackles could be dangerous in rugby -- they're not falling on a mat, there are other people around and it's less controlled, and they're probably not trained to fall safely. It's just odd seeing something I've done since I was a kid being called dangerous.

Here's a takedown finish from the 2009 Worlds freestyle -- that's points all day in wrestling, but probably a red card in rugby.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
As for wrestling being all upper body in league - if they went lower body the guy falls over, the tackle finishes. The defence has two aims, firstly to make the tackle (ie stop a try) and secondly slow it down as much as they can so they will be on the front foot for the next play.

Its not because they suck at wrestling its because that's how the rule stands.

Personally I loathe the ruck rules in league at the moment. In my opinion any move by a defender designed to slow the play the ball should be pinged, the only thing that should be allowed is the tackle and a guy covering up the ball to stop the offload.

If rugby league is scared that this will make it too fast and hard on the defence, consider moving the defensive line in a bit (closer to union).

Besides the stripping rule this is the next biggest thing that could really help rugby league.

As for kicking on the fourth, if you are winning the momentum and the scoreline, kicking early is imo criminal.

If you are losing, then depending on the game there is always a time for it.

Do not underestimate how easy it is to break the line and break the game wide open, to do that you need the ball in hand. Remember the defensive side does not want to slave away to stop five tackles they would much prefer you kick the ball to them.

Back to rugby, I don't think you need to watch all the crap to watch the beales and coopers prosper. Look at rugby scenes, on a whole its infinetly more free flowing and devoid of boring bits, and to be fair that's why it has great success in emerging markets were traditional rugby doesn't.

Regarding international rugby, I think the point has been made a thousand times and doesn't need to be remade regarding rugby league or unions popularity.

That said the all blacks don't sell out the bledisloe in Sydney anymore. I am not sure four nations matches have ever sold out wellington, so I don't know that decline is the right word. Obviously if the wallabies go better so will the crowds, same with the warriors in the NRL. Lets not forget the wallabies have won 2 world cups and been pretty damn good and involved in rugby for a long long time. The warriors are yet to win a premiership and are usually at best seen as a dark horse not a genuine threat.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
oddly enough mxxy I am pretty sure in England oztag or tag rugby is counted in rugby union participation numbers not leagues.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
These long posts really don't grab my attention.

I tend to ignore them as I'm sure most others do.

They probably say some great stuff but for idiots like me maybe they could condense their imputs.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)

wow, when he suggested you condense your imput you really took it on board!

Funny, what pisses me off is when you click to see a new post and it is a waste of time (ie, short, condensed, no substance)

each to their own.

sure seems weird to complain about it tho.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The curse of modern media: they've trained consumers to have a short attention span. Most Gen Xers and Yers can't concentrate past, about, 30 words. How do you go reading a book, Ilie?

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I know I can get wordy, or at least lengthy, sometimes. I try to keep the points succinct, but I tend to string a lot of points together into a larger case, which sort of erases the succinctness. Guess I'm just one of those Gen X'rs that digs words, and Baby Boomer terms like "dig."

Status
Not open for further replies.