• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
You see some league players go to union and return, like Joel Tomkins, but I don't know of anyone today who starts in union and then cuts to league. (Tomkins had a pretty successful return to Wigan -- I'd be curious if he credits union for developing him in any way that served his league game.)

Jiffy
Gareth Thomas
Etc.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
o_O yes crashy domestic violence is endemic in rugby league. All rugby league players watch jake the muss? in once were warriors and emulate him to be awesome.

Meanwhile rugby union players are at church.

You're above comment shows that whatever problem of perception there is with the rugby league media there is certainly a problem of perception within you.

Just for fun what do you think when you get off the train station at Penrith as opposed to Gordon?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Roy Masters admits in today's Hurled that loig is more boring than ever, the most successful teams have the fewest off-loads, and all rely on big boofy forwards running the ball into contact, slowly lowering themselves towards the ground (with the standard three opposition players practising wrestling holds), before rolling the ball back to another big, boofy forward to do it all over again.

Bugger me, why do people watch this boring, repetitive, muck?

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
lol this is funny.

People watch league because they enjoy it same as any other sport.

I think its good league is trying to improve and admitting their faults and issues.

Its the sort of the rugby union might want to start doing before it gets eaten by the AFL.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Just like loig in the upper and lower north shore - eaten by rugby, soccer and AFL. Dead as a dodo. D E A D.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
At Penrith ..... Wow , So this is where the tax dollars are spent , nice! Oh an this place "Panthers" is it like the Vatican - an independent state ? Its big enough .
At Gordon .... Hope the Penrith boys aren't here , then I might drop into Pablo & Rusty's for a Latte (triple decaf) !

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
From David Hill himself.....

For decades we have been witnessing a corrosion of Leagues traditional support base, which was historically strongest in the now declining blue collar work force.
As part of the decline in the heartland we have seen the disappearance if foundations clubs like Newtown and the axing from the league of the North Sydney Bears by the forces of darkness following the appalling and unworkable merger with Manly. (My eleven year old son Damian is here tonight. We are trying to bring him up as a good citizen and have told him that there is no place in the world for hatred. But we are all allowed to hate Manly)
Nowhere has the decline in the traditional League heartland been more apparent than in the Sydney junior leagues, which have historically been the big nursery for the senior clubs.
League has been trying to address this problem and boasts a big increase in the numbers of 5-12 year old playing the game in recent years. However, they have not been able to arrest the long term decline in the number of teams and clubs for juniors above 12 years of age.
When I became President of the North Sydney Bears in the early nineties, I was struck by the decline in the number of teams in the district since I played North Sydney Juniors. But since then there has been a further drop of about twenty five per cent in the number of teams for above 15 year olds. In my playing days there were dozens of teams then playing for such clubs like Mosman Collegians, and my old club Crow’s Nest, which have both totally disappeared. Now there is very little junior league played south of Chatswood.
And this trend cannot be dismissed as being simply the result of the gentrification of the formerly working class suburbs of Sydney’s lower north shore. There has also been a fall in the number of junior clubs in heartland of the western suburbs. For example, in the 1970’s the Penrith district boasted 32 junior league clubs. It now has 22

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Decline doesn't equal dead.

But junior rugby league has problems as well, the main one being this country is getting a fuckload softer and league is traditionally considered the toughest sport, so you have mums and dads not wanting to play their kids in it.

Rugby Union would be suffering from that as well. The main beneficiaries would be AFL and soccer, also non contact options like touch and tag.

In terms of the professional game, plenty of people on the north shore follow league.

Lets be honest, a lot of people get their fitness and outdoors time done by running around in circles and "jogging", a movement towards such non contact peanut activities was always going to hurt tough games like league and union and help afl and soccer.

In time I suspect afl will become even to dangerous / or tough for some of the weaker individuals out there.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Decline doesn't equal dead.

But junior rugby league has problems as well, the main one being this country is getting a fuckload softer and league is traditionally considered the toughest sport, so you have mums and dads not wanting to play their kids in it.

In time I suspect afl will become even to dangerous / or tough for some of the weaker individuals out there.

What would your priorities be to "toughen" your preferred code up?

Would you bring back the shoulder charge?

The stiff-arm tackle?

The spear tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.