• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I thought about responding with this:

But mate, if League is such a superior game, why isn't it overtaking Union?
Or
If its so easy to play, and pays so well, why aren't League players leaving in droves to dominate the sport?

I realised its a waste of time trying to convince a rock that its a tree. Particularly as he's convinced the government are the ones behind its downfall in the UK.

The bits where he talks about the backs getting so much ball in league are particularly amusing.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
It's interesting that he quotes stats backing up League's superiority, ignoring completely that those very stats - tackle count in particular - that make league boring to many Union fans.

for fucks sake (don't know why anyone would bother) I went thru and counted every one of these supposed points and showed, by stats, how his argument is completely wrong.

He talks about time in play (which shows why *they* no longer bother with lineouts) yet clearly rugby has far longer time in play. As shown by my stats many pages ago (or was that another thread?? Maybe it was 'league gives me the shits', as does their idiotic bloggers)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
for fucks sake (don't know why anyone would bother) I went thru and counted every one of these supposed points and showed, by stats, how his argument is completely wrong.

He talks about time in play (which shows why *they* no longer bother with lineouts) yet clearly rugby has far longer time in play. As shown by my stats many pages ago (or was that another thread?? Maybe it was 'league gives me the shits', as does their idiotic bloggers)

He evidently thinks that the ball is "Not in play" once it leaves the hookers (throwers) hands for a lineout - which may explain why his stats don't meet yours.
Presumably, and despite the fact that the ball can be won by either team in a scrum, he doesn't count the ball as in play once it leaves the 9's hands...... or while its at the bottom of a ruck or in a maul.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
He evidently thinks that the ball is "Not in play" once it leaves the hookers (throwers) hands for a lineout - which may explain why his stats don't meet yours.
Presumably, and despite the fact that the ball can be won by either team in a scrum, he doesn't count the ball as in play once it leaves the 9's hands.. or while its at the bottom of a ruck or in a maul.

yet he obviously thinks the ball is IN play during a tackle in league.

That would explain a few things, like how he managed to come to his conclusion. It would also mean he is deluded of course. Some might think it hard to be judged that way, but I would find it preferable to the alternative explanation of how he came to the conclusions he did.

I'd rather be called deluded than a complete tosser, which is the only other explanation.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
After a few graphs I didn't bother reading the article because it looked like tired arguments already flogged on these boards. Am I right on that, or is there anything really of interest there to debate?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Side note, quite a few ex union players are going good in the league 9's including tepai moeroa scoring a match winner for parra

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Side note, quite a few ex union players are going good in the league 9's including tepai moeroa scoring a match winner for parra
Ex-union as in they played union in school? At the club-level? You're not talking Super Rugby players, right? As far as I know, Moeroa played at schoolboys level (and is only 19). I don't follow the NRL close enough and don't live in Australia, so just curious.

There's also Semi Radrada for the Eels, who played in the 2011 IRB Junior World Championship and for the Fiji sevens side.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Ex-union as in they played union in school? At the club-level? You're not talking Super Rugby players, right? As far as I know, Moeroa played at schoolboys level (and is only 19). I don't follow the NRL close enough and don't live in Australia, so just curious.

There's also Semi Radrada for the Eels, who played in the 2011 IRB Junior World Championship and for the Fiji sevens side.
He played Australian Schoolboys in union after a GPS high school scholarship (I think?), but yeah before and since it's all been league. I think he even played both through school.

Polynesian Warriors

Frank Nicholson (4)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's hard to argue with the central point. NH rugby has diverged from the spirit of the running game, and the gap is getting wider.

Time for a hybrid game, sooner rather than later, let them fiddle around with their scrimmages and so on while we play the game that is epitomised by William Webb Ellis picking up the ball and running with it.

Running, not kicking.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This moron wrote a piece a couple of weeks ago how Sailor was the main attraction at the 2003 RWC, SBW in 2011 RWC and that Sam Burgess will do the same this years RWC.

While he's certainly been guilty of anti-rugby trolling in the past I reckon he's actually somewhere near the money this time. We all need to start hoping (or praying if that's your thing) thr poms have one of their rare Indian Summers 'cos if it's wet & miserable it could be every bit as dire as he's suggesting.

Just out of interest (and I know it's a training shot, but surely you train the way you intend to play?) can our resident front- and second rowers please have a look at the attached and tell me is this one fucked up scrum setup or am I just an ex-back who doesn't understand the dark arts therefore should STFU.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 249

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Couple of points fellas
1 Wamberal if you get some Hybrid game, who the hell are Aussie going to play? I think you will find the rest of us are reasonably happy with rugby just the way it is thanks.
2 Why would anyone get upset over Mike Coleman, he is an idiot, and tends to generally write stories like one. We have them in most countries , just have a bit of a laugh that anyone could be silly enough to fall for them. I always remember one case where a league journo (not sure who) had a big write up about Sonny Bill going to union and how Toulon's membership went up by 15000 the season they signed him, it of course had nothing to do with the fact that Toulon had just made top 14 comp for first time, and had just signed Jerry Collins, Anton Oliver etc, players that rugby people had actually heard of. I remember when Wendell swapped to union way back when, talking to daughter in NZ who is rugby fan, saying what was happening and her reply was, who the hell's Wendell Sailor, just reminded me that although we get blnket coverage of league in Aus, other parts of world don't really care.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Couple of points fellas
1 Wamberal if you get some Hybrid game, who the hell are Aussie going to play? I think you will find the rest of us are reasonably happy with rugby just the way it is thanks.

Well, Dan, nice to know that you are able to speak so authoritatively for the rest of the world.

It's nice to think that all those young PI and Maori kids who grow up in Australia, and prefer loig, are not a precursor of things to come in their home countries and, to a growing extent, in yours.

Nice to think that the success of the loig Nines means nothing, and that the likely expansion of the NRL to a second New Zealand franchise (something that I laughed at ten years ago) will not have any effect on rugby in New Zealand, and the Pacific Islands.

And I suppose that the health of the game here in Australia signifies nothing. After all, we are only 5th in the world now. So why should the fact that we are on a long term downward path presage anything meaningful?

Yep, the world is just aching for more exciting rugby, more scintillating scrums, a lot more controversial and unfathomable breakdown penalties, and of course some brilliant rolling mauls.

Every other major sport is reinventing itself, to some extent, because the audience is reinventing itself, but rugby does not have to, does it?

Everything in the garden is just rosy!

Status
Not open for further replies.