• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ to be fair Channel 9 are all over it, lead item on Today & interviews to come with Raylene Castle (Bulldogs CEO), Todd Greenburg (NRL bigwig), former ref(s) etc.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
For my various sins I was forced to watch the last part of the Souths v Bulldogs match yesterday.
It will be interesting to,see what the media make of the way the dogs players spoke to the red after the match deciding penalty.
Lots of 4 letter stuff directed straight at the official. I think there might have been 2 red cards in our game, as it was there was 1 binning.
Bottles were thrown by the crowd injuring an official and narrowly missing another.
I doubt the league media will see the connection between the vociferous and highly threatening abuse by the players and the acts of violence perpetrated by the crowd (including a king hit in the crowd leaving the ground) and the dissent shown on the field.
We are in a much better place on this.

Thus far most media are concentrating on the bottle throwing fans and have yet to draw the link between the on-field abuse and harrassment of the referee and what followed. Both those players screaming and fingerpointing at the referee should have been sent off not sin binned.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That situation in the NRL is a warning for the ARU - this is what can happen when your players are put on a pedestal so high, they can no longer suffer criticism.

No NRL ref can do their job properly in the face of this attitude, because the Monday Morning experts like that halfwit Gould will roundly criticise them, and the vast majority of NRL fans - in no danger of having an original thought - will ride right along with him.

So its no shock that, particularly where the Wogdogs are involved, this situation has come about.

What the ref SHOULD have done was send the abusive pommy bloke from the field ASAP, but again this can't happen because refs have been putting up with it so long, for fear of upsetting the powers that be.

Now look, I know you can't have it both ways. I'm often snarky that the IRB refs seem to be above reproach, but there are key differences in which both sets of officials approach the game:

1) The NRL basically owns its refs. The whole competition is under the control of the NRL, and if a change is made to their laws then they tell the other competitions about it but those competitions don't necessarily have to adopt it. The NRL gives zero fucks because its competition is self-contained. Offers a lot of advantages over rugby where there are many fingers in the pie; law changes can be trialled and implemented, or rolled out if the competition in general feels its hindering the game.

2) The use of first names. The AFL does it to, and seriously: FUCK that. To me its counterproductive in terms of mutual respect on field. Call the skipper by his first name when things are cool, but once shit starts to heat up, notice how the good rugby refs generally use "Captain" instead of e.g. "James"? This is an important distinction to make - like when you call your kid using their middle name as well. Its a subtle indicator that shit is about to get real. Maybe NRL captains can't handle subtle. But calling players by name instead of number reduces the relationship of the official to "maaaaaate".

3) The governing body has no fucking idea what respect looks like. "Oh we need the refs to get respect so wearing pink shirts isn't the answer". No, that isn't it you mongtards. The refs lose respect because you won't back them. You'll back the players first and foremost because your game relies on these "stars" to generate that $800M in cash and $200M in advertising to keep 14 of your clubs afloat.

Add all these things together and throw in the big factor - bogan fans - and its no wonder you get what happened last night. In fact I'm surprised it has taken this long given the history of violent behaviour in Wogdog land.

I've been to rugby games with people who have also been to NRL games, and they are wryly amused at the difference in crowd language. When we were booing the shit out of Peyper at halftime last weekend, the kiwi next to me remarked on the fact he could hear no swearing whatsoever.

NRL - "the family game" - yeah right!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
For some reason,the media covering the game have a ridiculous attitude towards refs.
They complain incessantly about refs errors,then they complain incessantly about the time the video refs take in their attempts to ensure they give correct rulings.
Last night the Dogs players took the legs out of a player who had kicked the ball.
Their immediate response was,as it was not deliberate,there should be no penalty.Apparently reckless or negligent behaviour can never be penalised.
The kicker is out for 4 or 5 months.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What the ref SHOULD have done was send the abusive pommy bloke from the field ASAP, but again this can't happen because refs have been putting up with it so long, for fear of upsetting the powers that be.

NRL - "the family game" - yeah right!

Unfortunately Graham is a bit of a footy media pet. He's lauded as some sort of uncompromising tough guy from the past and is thus beyond criticism, when in fact he's nothing but a thug and a cheap shot merchant and yesterday's incident is just another example. Players diving at the legs of the kicker was outlawed in league 20 years ago when Bob Fulton was coaching Manly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
For some reason,the media covering the game have a ridiculous attitude towards refs.
They complain incessantly about refs errors,then they complain incessantly about the time the video refs take in their attempts to ensure they give correct rulings.
Last night the Dogs players took the legs out of a player who had kicked the ball.
Their immediate response was,as it was not deliberate,there should be no penalty.Apparently reckless or negligent behaviour can never be penalised.

And when the refs do get it right they say that the refs have no feel for the game and are being too strict.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
This is such a ridiculous thing for them to say. How many times do we see players chasing a high kick, making accidental contact with the player while in the air and not only getting penalised but lately in NZ games binned for it. It was careless and dangerous.

I also am astounded at the number of comments I have read defending those fans who threw bottles because apparently they were justified in being upset and frustrated by the refs. Holy Shit!! Its appalling.

It does make me laugh though, thinking back to some of the comments about how terrible rugby crowds are for booing someone taking a kick. That right there tells us so much about the differences between fans of the 2 games. We see booing as disrespectful and try to get rid of it, some (not all, but not as small a minority as the Bulldogs are trying to make us think) of them think its ok to throw stuff at refs.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do you read the NFL facebook pages? League supporters are angry because Americans say that Hayne is a rugby union star, hahahahaha.

Americans don't know wtf is NRL hahahaha

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I also am astounded at the number of comments I have read defending those fans who threw bottles because apparently they were justified in being upset and frustrated by the refs. Holy Shit!! Its appalling.

As are the comments by Graham, where he says he knows it's wrong to abuse referees, but it was an important moment - which apparently excuses it.

Important moments are actually the true test of people's character. It's the time when a real leader takes control of himself and others, calms things down and deals with the referee respectfully. James Graham is the club captain ffs.

T

TOCC

Whenever I think Im starting to enough watching rugby league again something like this happens and I remember all of low life scum that turned me off the game to start with..

I was a Broncos member before I ever attended a Reds game, but can't stand the filth from the supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Thus far most media are concentrating on the bottle throwing fans and have yet to draw the link between the on-field abuse and harrassment of the referee and what followed. Both those players screaming and fingerpointing at the referee should have been sent off not sin binned.
465 less refs this year according to Hinds. Not sure of usual annual turnover or games per week but that sounds like a lot.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
465 less refs this year according to Hinds. Not sure of usual annual turnover or games per week but that sounds like a lot.

It may have even been someone from Canterbury I heard quoted before the season started moaning about the loss of junior referees and the need to show more respect at the elite level.

How long before 15 years will think it's ok to yell, swear and wave your arms at the ref if you don't like what happened at an "important moment"?

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
How long before 15 years will think it's ok to yell, swear and wave your arms at the ref if you don't like what happened at an "important moment"?

Judging by some of the things I have seen on the sporting field and in other arenas, many already do think that. The behaviour they see from these so called "professionals" just reinforces that its ok.
Can you imagine league players calling the ref 'sir'? Or the captain politely asking which player infringed so they may address them themselves?
Refs in all sport make mistakes, hell I know I have. But no-one deserves the kind of crap those league players throw at them. I say it every year watching Origin (the only league I watch all year), the way the players are allowed to speak to the ref is just disgusting. Especially now all the mikes and cameras broadcast every word.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Judging by some of the things I have seen on the sporting field and in other arenas, many already do think that. The behaviour they see from these so called "professionals" just reinforces that its ok.
Can you imagine league players calling the ref 'sir'? Or the captain politely asking which player infringed so they may address them themselves?
Refs in all sport make mistakes, hell I know I have. But no-one deserves the kind of crap those league players throw at them. I say it every year watching Origin (the only league I watch all year), the way the players are allowed to speak to the ref is just disgusting. Especially now all the mikes and cameras broadcast every word.

The refs themselves and the NRL have let it get to this point.

Refs used to call players by their number, now it's christian names - sounds all very egalitarian, but it's just not the way to go.

Old style refs like Laurie Bryeres used to wag their finger at the players and make the players stand up straight while they were speaking to them.

Yesterday, not only did we have the refs being harrassed and abused, but none of the Canterbury players wnet back 10 metres while Souths were lining up the penalty kick and apparently neither of the referees felt able to make them.

Talk about lunatics running the asylum.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Push to introduce rugby league into Sydney's elite GPS schools
Rugby league officials have declared their ambition to introduce the sport into the elite Greater Public Schools, whose manicured fields have been reserved exclusively for rugby union for more than a century.
The 15-man game has been the only rugby code offered to students since the Athletic Association of the Great Public Schools of NSW first met and decided to put it on the curriculum at a landmark meeting at the Gunsler's Café in Circular Quay in 1892.
But after being on the outer for 123 years, there is a push for league to also be an option for the prestigious Sydney schools association comprising St Joseph's, Sydney Grammar, The Armidale School, Shore, Sydney Boys High, Saint Ignatius, Kings, Newington and Scots.
"We should be an inclusive sport, we should find ways of getting all the school bodies involved in playing the game," NSW Rugby League chief executive David Trodden told Fairfax Media.
"We shouldn't confine ourselves to any particular group of schools just because historically they have been schools which have supported rugby league.
"For me, it would be a great thing thing if we got to a point where the GPS schools played league in some format or competition."
Laurie Daley is best known as the coach of the Blues, but it's another mentoring gig which has put the GPS issue on the NSWRL's agenda.
Daley has been coaching his son's rugby league side, Brothers, in the North Sydney junior rugby league competition in recent years.
Will Daley recently began high school at Joeys but he and his league mates – many of whom have also joined GPS schools – wanted to continue playing the 13-man code.
"That has caused some thinking about some way to get the GPS schools to be involved in rugby league as well," Trodden explained.
"You wouldn't run a rugby league [tournament] in competition with their existing rugby union competition.
"There are a whole lot of things you could do – you could start out with a knockout competition so that you're not talking about a full season. Then you could gauge their level of interest. It's certainly worth thinking about."
Some of rugby league's most promising young players have come from renowned rugby nurseries.
Parramatta sensation Tepai Moeroa, described by club legend Peter Sterling as being "as good as any young forward that has come through in the last decade", is a product of Newington College.
So too is Wests Tigers hooker Joel Luani and Joey Lussick, the Australian schoolboys union representative who also played SG Ball for Manly during his school days.
Some of Australia's biggest sporting stars have crossed the divide during their professional careers.
Sam Burgess, Sonny Bill Williams and Israel Folau made their names in the NRL but are now enjoying stints, with varying success, in union. Others who have made mid-career switches include Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers and Timana Tahu, all of whom returned to league.
"It used to be the case that you never went from league to union and when you went from union to league you could never go back," Trodden said.
"These days there is a regular interchange and going to and from sports gives more career options. It seems a natural progression that at junior level there would be a greater likelihood of guys playing both games as well.
"The way our SG Ball and Harold Matthews seasons are structured at the moment, starting early in the [year], it's possible for some of those guys to combine playing in the Harold Matthews and SG Ball competitions with going to those schools as the GPS season doesn't go full on until later in the year."
The sporting facilities at many at GPS schools – some employ sports scientists and provide students with cutting-edge equipment such as hyperbaric chambers – is the envy of NRL clubs.
The union fraternity has long looked down on its working-class counterparts, making fun of the "mungos" for boorish off-field behaviour.
However, it's hoped the NSWRL's ambitions will break down barriers and increase league participation with what has been to date an untapped talent pool.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If he felt that strongly, maybe Laurie Daley could have sent his son to Marist at North Sydney where league is the only rugby code that they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.