• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is Union strong only in Eastern Sydney?

In general terms, the further west you go the less rugby you will see.

The junior club that Daley coaches and his son plays for is called North Sydney Brothers, which is connected to Marist North Shore at North Sydney. This is also the school which Kieran Foran and Mitchell Pearce attended. It's probably the strongest league school in the north of Sydney (in a sea of rugby schools), so you'd think if you were desperate for your kid to play league at school and you lived around North Sydney, the choice would be fairly obvious.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
In general terms, the further west you go the less rugby you will see.

The junior club that Daley coaches and his son plays for is called North Sydney Brothers, which is connected to Marist North Shore at North Sydney. This is also the school which Kieran Foran and Mitchell Pearce attended. It's probably the strongest league school in the north of Sydney (in a sea of rugby schools), so you'd think if you were desperate for your kid to play league at school and you lived around North Sydney, the choice would be fairly obvious.

So Rugby Schools are strong in the north and east and League Schools are strong in the west and south, right?

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
Surely this story was meant to run on April 1st. Apparently the proponents of this push for mungo are inviting Canterbury players to address each GPS school on how to respect referees.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Editor - "I need a league v union story for Easter"

Reporter - "Laurie Daley's son goes to a GPS school and wants to play league. I can do something with that. I'll even get a hyperbaric chamber in there somehow"

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Its more about where families of those who attend those schools generally live. Got to remember Sydney is a big place.
And over the long weekend the North Shore residents head to their holiday houses. The Central Coast is a rugby hotbed based on the number of private school jerseys I have seen whilst getting a coffee today

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So Rugby Schools are strong in the north and east and League Schools are strong in the west and south, right?

Not quite that simple.

Catholic systemic schools almost exclusively league. CHS (State) schools in the older areas probably evenly divided between rugby and league, with rugby in decline and league growing. In suburbs settled since the 1960s, almost exclusively league. CAS and GPS schools exclusively rugby, most are in rugby areas but the student body of all schools is overwhelmingly from rugby areas.

When the GPS schools were established, there was no such game as league so they've always played rugby. CAS was established by schools who dreamed of joining GPS, but were rebuffed so they followed GPS sports in the hope of future admittance. No-one has been admitted to the GPS since 1906, so I'd suggest it's not going to happen any time soon.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good point - look at the dates in which all the schools joined AAGPS (wiki it you lazy sods), and they're all 1890-something.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And let's not forget that this guy is the club captain.

1428297165949.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Personally, I loved this bit:

The lack of concern James Graham holds for his own welfare has been evident since the Canterbury prop phoned NRL head of football Todd Greenberg last year demanding that players who wanted to remain on the field with concussion should be treated the same as smokers who choose to ignore warnings about cancer.
But some of Graham's recent on-field actions suggest he has little regard for the health of opposition players either.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I'm going to say it...
I was at the Sydney Easter show today for some god unknown reason. The amount of slack jawed, no tooth inbreds ( and mostly obese) wearing certain jerseys today was astonishing. Thank god for rugby....
My god I am still stunned...

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I'm going to say it.
I was at the Sydney Easter show today for some god unknown reason. The amount of slack jawed, no tooth inbreds ( and mostly obese) wearing certain jerseys today was astonishing. Thank god for rugby..
My god I am still stunned.

did they look like the guy at the front of your avatar?

if so, I can understand your disbelief.

Status
Not open for further replies.