• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
3 teams cant be called an international scene?

lol the same logic could be applied to union in comparison to soccer.

Three competitive teams is a poor number. No regular international competition, but a very healthy national competition in two locations, spanning four countries.

Most of the other "top tier" nations are reliant completely on the NRL for Tashkent generation and support. How many players from Italy or Lebanon are playing there?

Comparisons to soccer are fine, but look at the facts:

FIFA - 209 members
World Rugby - 100 members + 17 associates
RLIF - 45 national associations

So yeah, soccer wins, but don't let's pretend that rugby is some kind of minnow, or that powerhouse nations like PNG are going to help League overcome the entrenched might of a rugby system, backed by billionaires who could buy Super League for fun.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
This is the thread where people transition seamlessly from being a fisherman to being the fish.

I just can't believe they haven't run out of bait.

well atleast the good news is that UAE doesn't have league there anymore... ... ...

6bbe62fde46387099a26c8600aca511b.jpg

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Heard Matty Johns drop this deuce gem on Triple M when he said he prepped for State of Origin Game #3 by watching the Samoa - New Zealand Test. He claimed there was only one try in the Test match (there were two), and the rest was just kicking -- which made him hungry for some low-kicking rugby league.

Hey champ, some numbers:

Kicking Stats
Samoa: 11 | New Zealand: 20
Queensland: 20 | NSW: 13

So the pinnacle of the league game provided two more kicks than the union Test that so bored Matty Johns with its kicks. Granted, the Origin decider hadn't yet been played, but I'm guessing math isn't his strong suit:

Kicks in State of Origin #1
NSW: 24 | Queensland: 24

Kicks in State of Origin #2
NSW: 18 | Queensland: 14

The claim that there was only one try in the Test was repeated by others on the network, which was annoying. But I think the biggest difference between the two games is Samoa knows the difference between a tackle and a turnstile, whereas NSW didn't seem too sure. But it must be difficult to make tackles stick when they're trying to swing their forearms like billy clubs instead of actually stopping runners.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
But it must be difficult to make tackles stick when they're trying to swing their forearms like billy clubs instead of actually stopping runners.

you mean you watched it? Thanks for taking one for the team. You're better than I am.

Shit, those guys kick every five tackles, surely even knucklehead can work out there has to be a few kicks in a game of league?

And worse, it don't take long before five tackles is made, means those kicks are as regular as clockwork.

Bet he's not too happy about the number of tries last night eh?;)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Flicked between that, the ashes and Murray.

Ashes was the most entertaining of the 3. Virtually no defence on the part of NSW in the game, compounded with refs who don't have the balls to bin players makes for a very unsatisfying spectacle.

While it wasn't the best game of rugby ever played, at least the Apia test was a genuine contest.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
you mean you watched it? Thanks for taking one for the team. You're better than I am.

Shit, those guys kick every five tackles, surely even knucklehead can work out there has to be a few kicks in a game of league?

And worse, it don't take long before five tackles is made, means those kicks are as regular as clockwork.

Bet he's not too happy about the number of tries last night eh?;)

Of course had a rugby game featured a 52-6 scoreline, he'd have lamented the poor defence of rugby players.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Flicked between that, the ashes and Murray.

Ashes was the most entertaining of the 3. Virtually no defence on the part of NSW in the game, compounded with refs who don't have the balls to bin players makes for a very unsatisfying spectacle.

While it wasn't the best game of rugby ever played, at least the Apia test was a genuine contest.

Yes, it was a busy night last night. Origin (lasted till half time) test cricket on GEM, Murray on 7two and Federer on Fox.

The only thing that can be said in favour of origin was that it wasn't the usual low scoring tackle-fest punctuated by a kick every 5 tackles.

Federer, as usual, was a level above anything else on offer.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I watched the Kiwi v Samoa test and the origin. Enjoyed both but thought the union test was more entertaining. But any game where Paul Gallen gets munted is a good game.

On a side note. Why do we give a fat rats arse what whichever Johns it was said?

Hell yes. That bloke is a grub.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
On a side note. Why do we give a fat rats arse what whichever Johns it was said?

Because it is usually bullshit, influences others and re-inforces incorrect stereotypes?

We often lament (and don't understand) why rugby trails in the australian sporting landscape. Someone like john whoever, on a very widely listened to radio station, puts the boot in incorrectly and the mug listener nods his head as the existing stereotype/prejudice is further re-inforced.

And, what's worse, how do *we* get a right of reply? We don't. Because the media (understandably, bottom line is all that counts) don't give a rats arse about truth and are simply happy a big name like john whatshisname
appears on a breakfast show, or drive show, whatever.

Anyway, that's why I personally give a rats arse. Others might feel differently.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You think our Loig Media is bad, how about this from US ESPN Media?

A blend of rugby and mugging someone... ... ... indeed.

Record TV Rights deal in Vic, SA, WA and Tas. Whatever rocks your boat. International credability. Collingworth ? Gold Cust Suns?
"I don't know what a ripper is, but I like it!"
"We have no idea what that counts for"

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Irrelevant.

Okay, so this thread is for irrelevant topics despite the title. If that's the case, I had fish tacos for dinner; Mad Max: Fury Road is the best film of the season; and my beagle has awesome taste in 60's and 70's funk music.

True story.

Status
Not open for further replies.