• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
"Rugby World Cup: Di Patston saved Australian rugby by exposing its sorry state, writes Rebecca Wilson". Full article here: http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...s-rebecca-wilson/story-fndpt9s1-1227563734159

Thank Christ we've got insightful, articulate and intelligent journos like Rebecca Wilson keeping a watchful eye on our great code. What would we do without them?

She talks a lot of shit, but there's no denying that if the whole episode hadn't occurred Link would probably still be coach, Quade would be No.10 and I doubt we would've won our pool or even got out of it.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Fox Sports News have been running a poll this morning about whether the Wallabies win over Wales was boring. Unbelievable. I've never seen anything similar after a low scoring state of origin or NRL final.

Someone should write or tweet Fox Sports asking that question. (That someone isn't me; not in Australia.)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fox Sports News have been running a poll this morning about whether the Wallabies win over Wales was boring. Unbelievable. I've never seen anything similar after a low scoring state of origin or NRL final.
If they ran the same poll for the NRL Grand Final their twitter account would be flooded with

FUCKEN BEST GAME IN VA WORLD MAYYYYYTE! SO FUCKEN GOOD I PISSED IN ME OWN MOUFF BEFORE PISSIN IN ME MAYTE'S MOUFF MAYYYYYYYTE!

Reactions: pjm

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If they ran the same poll for the NRL Grand Final their twitter account would be flooded with

FUCKEN BEST GAME IN VA WORLD MAYYYYYTE! SO FUCKEN GOOD I PISSED IN ME OWN MOUFF BEFORE PISSIN IN ME MAYTE'S MOUFF MAYYYYYYYTE!

Don't forget doing something with VB, faeces, dogs, and going to the local Ink shop for "a new taddoo to sell-a-braite"

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think they want to use it as a format to stage bigger games in future. Like an NRL team vs a Super Rugby team, Wallabies vs Kangaroos etc. Not sure how likely the latter is but I could see Super Rugby teams playing NRL teams if they think there's money to be made.

Basically it's 13 a side, using rugby league rules out of your own half and rugby union rules in the attacking half. But in each half you have a 60 second shot clock (so you have a minute to get out of your half, and then another minute to score). There's lineouts but without lifting and rugby league style scrums.

Sounds a bit of a mess but the players have adapted to it quite well in this game anyway. The speed of the game has been very fast. It does have some novelty value.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Magpies won easily in the end 47-19. Wests were a fitter, bigger team and as it went on Randwick struggled to defend and their ball handling fell away.

kandos

Frank Nicholson (4)
I would like to go back to lineouts without lifting. For me it's a better contest for the ball. However, with uncontested scrums it penalises the Union team in having something the League players cannot compete with. Then there are the safety issues of a League player getting seriously hurt in the scrum. Hence, contests like this are a farce.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
If a union scrum was allowed.

under the rules the union team would just kick it out whenever running out of there minute or tackles to regain possession.

League team would not be able to compete. The body shapes are just not there, not to mention the thousands of hours pushing a scrum machine that a league player wouldn't have, all you would end up with is either a non contest or a bunch of injuries. Didn't watch the game, though glad to hear some found it entertaining.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
As for line outs without lifting, I would go the whole hog, go back to soccer/basketball style throw in.

You could get an nfl hail mary type play happening.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think they want to use it as a format to stage bigger games in future. Like an NRL team vs a Super Rugby team, Wallabies vs Kangaroos etc. Not sure how likely the latter is but I could see Super Rugby teams playing NRL teams if they think there's money to be made.

Basically it's 13 a side, using rugby league rules out of your own half and rugby union rules in the attacking half. But in each half you have a 60 second shot clock (so you have a minute to get out of your half, and then another minute to score). There's lineouts but without lifting and rugby league style scrums.

Sounds a bit of a mess but the players have adapted to it quite well in this game anyway. The speed of the game has been very fast. It does have some novelty value.

It sounds atrocious

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not too much more than a money grab by Rugby, and an international credibility grab by Loig.

Yeah, I simply don't see any valid reason to bother, every compromise is about taking the competition for the ball away - and that is the essence of rugby

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Be interested to know which side is pushing more for this. I suspect neither are it's more a TV network looking to cash in.

Status
Not open for further replies.