• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I simply don't see any valid reason to bother, every compromise is about taking the competition for the ball away - and that is the essence of rugby

But in the attacking half it's rugby rules - full ability to compete for the ball. And lineouts without lifting creates more competition. The league guys have plenty of new stuff to deal with!

I wouldn't want to see it regularly but the rules create an even enough contest. Actually I think in most circumstances (with evenly matched teams), the rugby team should win because it should be easier for the rugby team to get out of their half under rugby league rules, than for a league team to go through some phases and score tries under rugby rules.

RunnerGunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
Fox Sports News have been running a poll this morning about whether the Wallabies win over Wales was boring. Unbelievable. I've never seen anything similar after a low scoring state of origin or NRL final.

You can be guaranteed whoever teed up that poll did not watch the game. They woke up, caught the highlights and the score card and determined "boring", just waiting to pivot away from rugby getting attention at the world cup.

Unbelievable really. The reaction all over the place that it was a very exciting game but the attention deficit disorder heads demand TRIES.

This is standard rugby league. As we have guaranteed possessions and the game is so structured the NFL 4th Down Hail Mary is an absolute must.

This is the quintessential loig clip, which went viral worldwide last year;

Ball gets bombed on last tackle as they've run out of ideas. The opposition who have defended well are left to deal with a kick (ironically). Of course this causes mayhem as they fail to deal with it adequately and the ball bobbles around the place. EXCITEMENT. Normally in this situation with the panic around an attacker gets over and there's another famous TRY (cue dance music) but what's this? Biff?! Even better! Take his head off!!! This is unbelievable, the Greatest Game of All!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I heard a beauty today when talking of League media. Triple M in Brissy were nice enough to give us a WC update for the day, it went something like SA beat Wales to qualify for one Semi , and SBW had a hand in one of All Blacks 9 tries for NZ to beat France 62-13!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If mentioning SBW encourages one loig supporter to have a look at our game, that's great news.

More than one, even greater.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
To be fair
The Grill team had Cheika on it this morning to talk up the win and the semi, though with the grill team it could have been a pretend chieka, who knows, I only heard the last bit of the interview.

They also had a segment of gus warland cracking scotland jokes..

eitherway they were giving them free relatively positive coverage.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
To be fair
The Grill team had Cheika on it this morning to talk up the win and the semi, though with the grill team it could have been a pretend chieka, who knows, I only heard the last bit of the interview.

They also had a segment of gus warland cracking scotland jokes..

eitherway they were giving them free relatively positive coverage.

True enough. The Rush Hour has had Matt Burke, Tim Horan and Michael Cheika on again and again. Throughout the tournament they've given the Wallabies a little bit of coverage fairly regularly, and took great joy in England bombing out.

But who didn't take joy in England bombing out.

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
We are in the middle of the RWC, the games showcase yet we have some high profile Rugby people wanting to promote a hybrid game. Why, Why , Why.
This world cup is the highest standard to date, the second tier nations are challenging first tier, the game is growing at exceptional rates in many countries, 2.5 million spectators @RWC and millions more on TV. Why would we give league the exposure by association with our code that league has not been able to achieve despite being professional for much longer than us. We have built genuine domestic comps in over 100 countries, league is still dreaming of expansion out of eastern Australia, northern England , PNG and south Auckland.
Let them grow their own game or wither on the vine.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Also Jarryd Hayne tweeted the wallaby game.

Again, to be fair, its probably better then the coverage you would get from the soccer media (which in summer phil rothfield should be lumped with) and the AFL media.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We are in the middle of the RWC, the games showcase yet we have some high profile Rugby people wanting to promote a hybrid game. Why, Why , Why.

One reason might be to give rusted on loig followers in this country a reason to have a look at our game.

The success or otherwise of the RWC, or the game, in "100 countries" means very little here.

The gsme was on a roll in 2003, we had far better prospects then than we do now, a big war chest, and we were going to murder the opposition codes. Do you remember?

If we win Bill there will be a bit of a blip in the game's popularity here. But, as we have seen with the recent successes of both the Tahs and the Reds, winning a competition is not a recipe for lasting success.

We need to find ways to attract rugby league supporters to our game, they should be an easier target than AFL or soccer followers, and playing some exhibition games under hybrid rules is one way to achieve that.

Finally, no publicity is bad publicity. The hybrid initiative generates a bit of media coverage that we would not otherwise be getting.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
One reason might be to give rusted on loig followers in this country a reason to have a look at our game.

We need to find ways to attract rugby league supporters to our game, they should be an easier target than AFL or soccer followers, and playing some exhibition games under hybrid rules is one way to achieve that.

Finally, no publicity is bad publicity. The hybrid initiative generates a bit of media coverage that we would not otherwise be getting.

You keep making your point about attracting league followers, including Law changes, and I keep saying words to the effect of:

"Rusted on" league followers will watch 5 minutes of rugby, say "too much kicking, can't tackle" and go de-glove their own penis thrashing over an Origin game with an 11-10 scoreline.

They. Don't. Give. A. Fuck.

Their media has had blanket coverage telling them how fucking great their game is, to the point that anything else will not be considered. There are large swathes of the league heartland who are incapable of appreciating the skill and physical attributes of a proper scrum, lineout, or maul, and never will because they get force-fed the "toughness" or the NRL as the summit of human achievement.

The hybrid game is a waste of time for leaguies, except as a vehicle to bash rugby. Its a waste of time for us because its not anywhere near the skill set required besides rucking in one half of the field - the league guys can't pack proper scrums or lift at lineouts because its not safe to do so, and I can't blame them.

Its a fucking gimmick. It won't get anyone watching rugby.

You'd actually get more return for your money as the ARU if you went to each of the idiotically structured school systems and said "right, no matter how fucking painful this will be for the first 10 years, you're all playing each other on a regular basis". League has this, and even some tiny little school from the back of nowhere can win the big prize on NRL Grand Final day.

Sean Maloney's The Cup Runneth Over is a perfect example of how Union should work in this country: stop being up yourself about it, and have some fun instead of just a dick-measuring contest about who has more money.

Create proper competitions while you're at it. Make it appealing to a broader audience, and then put grassroots structures in place to help get parents involved through a broader base at school and club level.

Yes, we have challenges in this country that pretty much no-one else does. But if you can't appreciate Japan over South Africa, Wallabies kicking a last-minute penalty over a passionate Scotland or tackling themselves 2 men down against Wales, Uruguay amateurs scoring tries, or Georgian players putting it up the All Blacks scrum, then you're not going to fucking appreciate the game anyway.

This is what a REAL World Cup looks like. League - well, let's face it: the NRL have abso-fucking-lutely zero like this. And if we have to accept they've got the billions of $$$ while we have the millions of $$$ then its part of the challenge the game needs to address to sustain its future.

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
If rusted on Rugby fans are not part of the target audience then why would rusted on mungo fans be part of the target audience.

RunnerGunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
I see Dave Smith has effectively been ousted as CEO of the NRL by News Corp and the vested interests within their game. I always thought he was very impressive. He's a rugby union man and rugby would do well to hire him in some capacity imo. Though I suspect he won't be working for a while with whatever deal he signed when leaving.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
You can bet that League are only interested in this so that the Kangaroos can play the All Blacks. There will be no benefit for Australian rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The All Blacks would never be part of something like that.

The hybrid game just doesn't work as a contest because there is no way to do it without watering down the elements that make rugby, rugby like the scrum without severely diminishing the advantages the rugby players would have in their half of the game.

For the rugby union team to compete they'd probably want to pick a forward pack almost entirely of backrowers.

There is no potential audience for this game. It would be a one off event where league fans would think that the rugby elements are crap and that their players are much better because they win easily.

There is no chance of a future merger of the two sports and no chance of a game where the rules change at the halfway line gaining any traction.

Reactions: pjm

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I see Dave Smith has effectively been ousted as CEO of the NRL by News Corp and the vested interests within their game. I always thought he was very impressive. He's a rugby union man and rugby would do well to hire him in some capacity imo. Though I suspect he won't be working for a while with whatever deal he signed when leaving.

Well SANZAR needs a new CEO...

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can't believe how defensive some of you guys are about the hybrid game. It is a novelty concept, no one would say otherwise. It's simply a set of rules to create a reasonably even contest between a rugby league team and a rugby union team. And having seen a couple of the games (1 where Wests beat Randwick, another where St Augustine's beat Keebra Park High) it does a reasonable job of that.

It's a concept that could generate decent revenue for super rugby teams or the ARU if used no more than occasionally. I can't believe any of you actually believe there is no potential audience for a Wallabies vs Kangaroos match. It'd be massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.