• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
her own words, to be fair, she was on the show because it was the closest the ABC could get to a league report being full of AFL journos, but she initiates the conversation with the only reason I give a shit about the NRL is because the swans are gone.

Their are a lot of rugby league journalists out there but she is not one of them.

REBECCA WILSON: It does depend - look, every single football game depends on the actual football game you are watching. You can watch a cracker of an AFL game and an absolute cracker of an AFL game that features the greatest athletes you will see and by the way, I believe the reason Australian's men's track and field stocks are so low is they are playing AFL football, all of the great athletes are now playing AFL football. I think physically and their physicality is amazing, it's incredible. If you strike a great rugby league game, honestly, I would challenge even Drew or any dive in the wool AFL supporter not to have enjoyed with great lust the match played between Brisbane and the North Queensland Cowboys a couple of weeks ago. It was rugby league as we remember it growing up, it is why you fell in love with rugby league when you grew up. It is why you didn't - we turned our back on rugby league as we remember it growing up. It's rugby league the - you know we turned our back on rugby league as a family to watch AFL because league had died, it became so defensive. But these two teams have brought it back in such a way Drew. I think, you will agree, West Coast and Hawthorn have done precisely that, we have had some of the lowest scoring games in history this year in the AFL season but these two teams completely go against the odds on that.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not strictly speaking League media but on WWOS this morning the panel were banging on about how terrible it is that Ben Te'o might be selected for England. Sally Fitzgibbon can be forgiven, but you'd think that the actual/ alleged journos would know he was born in Auckland & has at least one English & one Samoan grandparent.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not strictly speaking League media but on WWOS this morning the panel were banging on about how terrible it is that Ben Te'o might be selected for England. Sally Fitzgibbon can be forgiven, but you'd think that the actual/ alleged journos would know he was born in Auckland & has at least one English & one Samoan grandparent.

It's still terrible. England allegedly has the largest number of rugby participants in the whole world.

And they cannot produce a team full of locals. Pathetic.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nature of modern emigration society. British and Irish diaspora of the 20th century is beginning to bear fruits for the Rugby Sides.

Kiwis don't have to pinch from elsewhere due to PI Immigration, families come over with Kids at primary school and they come through the systems.

Saffas are pretty good also and the Argies don't get many foreigners.

Virtually everybody else has selected a decent chunk of foreign born/schooled players since at least the 2011 cup, if not before.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Oh yeah? What did they say about the past selection of State of "Origin" players for Queensland?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
image.jpeg

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In that case Australia has been "pathetic" for as long as I can remember . And I have been a rugby fan since the mid 1960s.

Go back and read what I said. Particularly the bit about England having the largest number of participants in the world.

If we had the largest number of participants in the world, no competition from the AFL and NRL, and could not pick a team of locals, we would be pathetic.

Bear in mind, also, and this goes for our resident New Zealand posters, we do have a long-standing and generous immigration policy. Some of our "poaches" came here as kids with their families.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Go back and read what I said. Particularly the bit about England having the largest number of participants in the world.

If we had the largest number of participants in the world, no competition from the AFL and NRL, and could not pick a team of locals, we would be pathetic.

Bear in mind, also, and this goes for our resident New Zealand posters, we do have a long-standing and generous immigration policy. Some of our "poaches" came here as kids with their families.

Isn't Ben Te'o just one of those local players now? It's not like he needs the residency rule to be eligible to play for England.

How does it intrinsically follow that having a high number of participants means that the best players playing rugby in your country and eligible for your national team would all have been the ones born there and lived there all their lives?

We're the only country in the world that plays AFL and yesterday the Sydney Swans debuted a Sudanese refugee.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This again? Who cares.

Mine was more an observation on WWOS's piss-poor journalism: Webster & Molan would surely be aware of Te'o having multiple eligibility, quite a deal having been made of it prior a RLWC. Point is, l knew they were wrong because I know a little of the background. So how often are they wrong about other stuff I don't know enough about to know they're wrong?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
In read this on an European website:

"Blaise Barnes of St Josephs College Hunters Hill is a rugby union prodigy that has been inundated with offers to play in the NRL. Please ARU, get the finger out a find a Super Rugby club for this guy. No disrespect to the League, but we need to keep stars like this or he could become another Cooper Cronk or Roger Tuivasa-Sheck."

Did the League Media say something about it?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yup. Thought the same. The vid is appearing on a few sites. GAGR got a message about it too but I was wary about posting it for the reasons you suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.