• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Mighty Wallabies - the Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dreaming

This thread is hilarious, enough to restore my faith in our ever-stuttering team. But then it never takes much to do that. Go Wallabies!

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
I have a feeling that the wobs performances at the rwc will mean this movie would be a straight to video release....

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I've written a trailer for it, will need an edit based on how the wallabies finish this WC, but anyone around Sydney that's keen for some acting let me know and we will get it made as a GAGR Xmas treat.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
thread title should be changed to look alikes thread rather tahn movie ....

That said - I think clint eastwood for deans is the best one!

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
ericdonald.jpg

anyone?

Thought this belonged here...

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
take yourself back 6 weeks: which one of these men would have been considered most likely to steer a RWC winning side around the park?

Clearly Donald, Bana is spending his time killing nazis and taking names.... although the term steer is used very loosely when talking about the Don.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Robert Downey Jr as Matt Damon, playing Will Genia
Ben Stiller as JOC (James O'Connor)
Jack Black as Ben Alexander
Brandon T Jackson as Quade Cooper
Mathew McConaughey as Pocock
Tom Cruise as Bernard Lapasset

You see where I'm going here...

Golden Thunder! yeah baby!

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Lets not get stuck on casting - we need a PLOT first. What period in the Wallabies history encapsulates the spirit of the team? How do tyou tell the story?

I think the 1990's. We have the film as a decade long journey told from the perspectives of 5 key characters - Phil Kearns, John Eales, Tim Horan, Jason Little and Dan Crowley - all of whom were in the 91 and 99 RWC winning sides with the terrible lows in between.

The arc of the story line can have a logical beginning and there is a good place to end it as well.

In 1989 the British and Irish Lions toured Australia for the first time since 1966. After winning the first Test, Australia lost the second and third matches to lose the series 1–2. Not a good time. Bob Dwyer identified a lack of forward dominance as a major factor contributing to the loss and entered the 1990s with an aim to improve this facet of the Wallaby game.

The team regrouped (play Eye of the Tiger, montage shots etc :) ) and then went into the 1991 World Cup with a renewed attitude. In the pool games they beat Argentina, cruised to a 38–3 win over Wales, and beat Samoa 9–3 in a rain soaked game. During the quarter-final match against Ireland, Australia were never able to pull away from them. With literally seconds remaining on the clock, Ireland were up 18–15 before Michael Lynagh scored in the corner to break the hearts of the Irish and qualify for the semi-final against New Zealand. In the first half they raced to a 13–3 lead and then showed they could defend as the All Blacks pounded their line. They faced England in the final at Twickenham. England changed their usually forward-dominated game plan and attempted to play more of a running game. It was unsuccessful and Australia battled out a 12–6 win. David Campese was named player of the tournament having scored six tries in a series of outstanding performances. Victory parades were held back in Australia for their national team.

The decade was one of the most important in the creation of the modern game.

Australia's defence of the World Cup in South Africa in 1995 opened with defeat to the home side. Pool play was followed by an exit in the quarter-final against England courtesy of a long-range drop-goal from the boot of Rob Andrew. This was Australia's worst ever World Cup result, on a par with Australia's unexpected exit from the 2007 campaign at the quarter-final stage, also against England.

The Tri-Nations and Super 12 tournaments were established that year, and started in 1996. This pushed the game into professionalism. Lots of good sub-plot material here. In response to rugby's move to professionalism, the Rugby Union Players Association (RUPA) was established in October 1995 to safeguard the interests of Australia's professional rugby players.

Greg Smith was national coach in 1996 and 1997 when Australia only won two of their eight Tri-Nations Tests, both over South Africa in Australia, and suffered record-margin Test defeats to the All Blacks and Springboks. Rod Macqueen was appointed as Smith's successor and in 1998 Australia won both their Tests over the All Blacks to gain the Bledisloe Cup. They retained the Bledisloe in 1999 when they defeated the All Blacks by a record 28–7 in Sydney.

In the 1999 World Cup Australia won their pool and conceded only 31 points before facing Wales in their quarter final. They won 24–9 before winning the semi-final 27–21 against defending champions South Africa. The semi-final was won after a memorable drop goal in extra time by fly-half Stephen Larkham (his first drop goal attempt in a Test match). The final against France at Millennium Stadium was easily won by 35–12; with the majority of points courtesy of fullback and goal-kicker Matt Burke.

In 1999, five Australian players won their second Rugby World Cup: Phil Kearns, John Eales, Tim Horan, Jason Little and Dan Crowley.

In 2000 Australia retained the Bledisloe Cup, and won the Tri Nations for the first time. Two good "roll on" moments that illustrate the dominance we had in this period. They repeated this in 2001 and also achieved their first ever series win over the British and Irish Lions.

The arc of the story can come to a logical close with MacQueen, and captain John Eales both retiring soon after this. They were replaced by coach Eddie Jones and captain George Gregan. This period also saw big-money signings of top-level Rugby league players Mat Rogers, Wendell Sailor, and Lote Tuqiri—all of whom went on to represent Australia. This was a contrast to much of the previous century where many Rugby union players were lured to league with large salaries. That sort of transition and the departure of Eales and McQueen, is a good place to wrap it up I think.

It traverses bad times and good, victory, defeat, combacks and legends and also has the good stuff professionalism and everything it brought. If we had had a fantastic 4 years and won the RWC I would say start it in 1999 and finish in 2011, but that's not possible now.

1989 to 2001 ish with compression at either end is the timeline, and it presents it's own script already written really with some great characters ready to draw.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I know right?

But now we have a story, it's Rocky-like in its sweep of hardship and hard-won victory, the story of a great team's fall from Grace and the fight back to the top - all set against the turmoil and political machinations of the professional-ising of a proudly amateur code. They'll laugh, they'll cry, they'll cheer.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's basically a remake of invictus but it's about the wallabies coming together and overcoming "carbon tax" inspired by Julia gillard

It needed a sex scene, the australian public getting f*cked by gillard might just do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.