• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The NBN (National Broadband Network)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yes, how did that work again? So who's money is it being built with? I seem to remember that there was an argument that no matter how much it cost to build, it would all be recouped when it was privatised - surely there's a limit to that?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
NBN enjoys massive public support despite “overwhelmingly negative” print coverage

There's nothing new in that article or the comments - the technology press thinks any criticism of any part of the NBN is anathema. I'm not shocked that a study from the Institute for a Broadband-Enabled Society finds that people are positive on the NBN.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I support a more measured role out. I discussed it with a mate recently who disagrees and he made the point this was our generations "telephone line to every home" moment.

But I think that is a bad analogy. How many decades did it take to get a phone line to every home in Australia? I don't know, but it must have been at least 40? We are trying to now essentially do the same thing in 10 years. You need to let it grow organically.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It amazes me that in the wake of the mining boom ending it's capital investment phase and manufacturing decreasing substantially in Australia, there is not a far greater push towards rolling out a better NBN that will last for far longer into the future.

Surely the two greatest areas where job creation will be strongest in the coming decades are renewable energy and technology.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I support a more measured role out. I discussed it with a mate recently who disagrees and he made the point this was our generations "telephone line to every home" moment.

But I think that is a bad analogy. How many decades did it take to get a phone line to every home in Australia? I don't know, but it must have been at least 40? We are trying to now essentially do the same thing in 10 years. You need to let it grow organically.

Who has a line phone now?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
"Every mainstream discussion of what the NBN could do seemed to find an online gamer as the typical internet user. The social, industrial, journalistic, medical and career opportunities provided by fast, affordable internet are extraordinary."

The nay-sayers conveniently and continually ignore this.

How's that 1 000 000 jobs creation looking?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Every mainstream discussion of what the NBN could do seemed to find an online gamer as the typical internet user. The social, industrial, journalistic, medical and career opportunities provided by fast, affordable internet are extraordinary."

The nay-sayers conveniently and continually ignore this.

How's that 1 000 000 jobs creation looking?

Easy for both parties as they use the same numbers from workforce growth figures of around 1.8 to 2 % pa

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ziggy is a right tool...

With the death of car manufacturing (at last!) I was hoping that the government would swoop on an opportunity to reignite discussions around a world-class digital infrastructure for the future.

We no longer ride on the sheep's back. We can't rely on minerals forever. We need to innovate into future industries like alternative energy and food production to ensure sustainability for the planet.

We have the hottest, driest continent as our test bed, and a dispersed population containing brilliant scientific minds. The only answer is better technology so we can crown ourselves the brains trust of Asia.

But our "leaders"will perpetuate a welfare underclass that they can pander to with vote-grabbing strategies like tax cuts and financial benefits, communicated through a corrupt media trying to act as king makers.

What a pack of fluffybunnys

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Joe Hockey thinks that "Digital manufacturing" will work on the MTM, as in animation on the Lego movie, to help replace manufacturing.

He must be dreaming.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just more fucking pointscoring for their own conscience. Turnbull opposed the FTTH based purely on the fact that he didn't come up with it. Then they throw around figures with "Billion" on the end, ignoring the fact that it would have paid for itself in ten years once the cycle powered up and got going.

Right now for 7Mbps I pay about $30 a month. I'd gladly pay $90 for a guaranteed 50Mbps.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Why they keep pointing at Labor's cost is beyond me. They'd make more friends if they just shut the fuck up and got on with it

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Why they keep pointing at Labor's cost is beyond me. They'd make more friends if they just shut the fuck up and got on with it
It's simple.
The budget the ALP had to complete the project was utter bullshit.
To continue on,without change would ensure massive cost overruns.
And to add insult to injury, the ALP would take great joy,in claiming the Libs had fucked it up.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/govern...ease-reputations-at-stake-20140216-hvcpp.html

Open and transparent?

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/securi...nbndriven-digital-economy-20140217-hvcm3.html

Strange - there seems to be a time displaced echo in our polity. I seem to remember the same argument by the Howard Govt in the 1990s. The failure of this policy because the commercial interests cherry picked the network market to maximise profits lead, eventually, to the NBN.
That Paul Fletcher should choose to recycle a failed policy either displays a contempt for the electorate or terminal stupidity on his part.

Commenter
fractal
Date and time
February 17, 2014, 1:07PM

"The private sector has been crying out for a long term vision for the national broadband network project instigated by Labor and currently under review by the Coalition."
What this article makes very clear is that the LNP has NO long term vision for the national broadband network, never has and never intends to have one.
Commenter
Goresh

Date and time
February 17, 2014, 2:13PM

Status
Not open for further replies.